This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

CARTE BLANCHE

2121 replies to this topic

Poll: Carte Blanche

Do you like the title and UK cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you like the US cover art?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:00 AM

I find the word "Project" intriguing and somewhat telling.

#32 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:09 AM

Another thought: graphic novel? "Project X" certainly sounds graphic novel-y.

#33 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:13 AM

Exciting news. The vagueness opens up all kinds of possibilites.

#34 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:18 AM

This has got me all excited and my thoughts are circling what it could be. it's on Ian's site and all I believe it could very well be a new Bond adult novel. It could be done by a ghost writer and "written as" again like that last disaster or Robert Markham could be back.

It being on Ian's site make me think more literature related, though a new adaptation of a story could be worthy news. Animated Bond movies accurate to the books?

#35 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:22 AM

I find the word "Project" intriguing and somewhat telling.

Yeah, me too! It would definitely seem to indicate something NEW, rather than a paperback or mass market edition of something old. (As much as I would like it to be the announcement of Talk of the Devil becoming widely available; "new" Fleming would be better than anything else.) Plus, there was no announcement for the paperback of The Blofeld Trilogy like this.

The first thing that sprang to my mind from the word "Project" was maybe a multi-author short story collection, like was done for Phillip Marlowe several years ago. I'd definitely like to see that. Perhaps more than a new adult novel, since multiple authors would diminish the risk of being totally let down by one, as I was by Faulks.

It would be great if it were a new graphic novel or comic book project, but I really doubt it, simply because IFP, like EON, has never realized what a potentially huge market that is, and only associates comics with kids (hence the YB graphic novel.)

Whatever it is, it's certainly intriguing!

#36 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:27 AM

The first thing that sprang to my mind from the word "Project" was maybe a multi-author short story collection, like was done for Phillip Marlowe several years ago. I'd definitely like to see that. Perhaps more than a new adult novel, since multiple authors would diminish the risk of being totally let down by one, as I was by Faulks.

This would be superb. Please, IFP, can this be Project X?

#37 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:28 AM

Could the X mean the Roman number 10? Project 10 for 2010? 10 new novels to be written by 10 new authors?

10 re-releases of Amis, Gardner, Benson?

A revamp of the James Bond universe. 10 Fleming novels will be rewritten but the character of James Bond will now be a female named Jane Bond? B)

The 10th Fleming novel, The Spy Who Loved Me, will now be adapted for a children's story. Times have changed and shocking novels from 50 years ago can now be accepted in the main stream kiddie market. :tdown:

Oh, the the suspense is too much for me, I hope it last.

#38 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:29 AM

i'm hoping a new novel..

I do not get why EON and IFP don't get the potential markets for 007 especially in terms of comic books and graphic novels.

if it is a novel who would u want to write it?

I love Brad Meltzer he would do great.

perhpas a novelization of bond 23's script B)

#39 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:32 AM

Could the X mean the Roman number 10? Project 10 for 2010? 10 new novels to be written by 10 new authors?

10 re-releases of Amis, Gardner, Benson?

A revamp of the James Bond universe. 10 Fleming novels will be rewritten but the character of James Bond will now be a female named Jane Bond? B)

The 10th Fleming novel, The Spy Who Loved Me, will now be adapted for a children's story. Times have changed and shocking novels from 50 years ago can now be accepted in the main stream kiddie market. :tdown:

Oh, the the suspense is too much for me, I hope it last.

Or 10 short stories in a multi-author short story collection?

#40 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:37 AM

The announcement of a QoS movie tie-in novel (just kidding)

Probably the announcement of a new Bond novel and author.

#41 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:04 AM

No doubt a coincidence, but Project X is the name of the MacGuffin in Charlie Higson's new book Monstroso.

#42 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:05 AM

Or 10 short stories in a multi-author short story collection?

I would love for this to be it; the Chandler collection was excellent. The only thing is, it would have been very difficult to keep the lid on things this long if ten name authors were involved.

Here's hoping I'm wrong. I just don't want to see another re-packaging of Fleming's published works. There's so much out there of Fleming's most of us have never seen from the early stories, to State of Excitement, to his letters and journalistic work. There's much to draw from.

#43 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

To me 'Project' indeed suggests something bigger. If it's not the title for another adult novel, which to me would seem somehow unlikely, then I suppose it's either a single volume of short stories authored by several writers

or

a series of volumes, 3 to 5 most likely, themed with the moniker 'Project X'. I suppose it's original material rather than old material republished in a new format/medium. And I could actually see Bond once more in an original adventure in comic/'graphic novel' format.

Either way, something to look forward to. Although it probably means it's still a long way down the road, otherwise any major project most likely would have leaked already, particularly if a larger number of people was involved. It's probably still early stages with the ink just drying on the contracts.

#44 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

Any credibility to the - disappointing - thought it might be this:

http://gearpatrol.co...lex-submariner/

Or am I WAAAYYYY off the mark, as I hope?

#45 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, someone on my YB Facebook suggested this one as well:

http://www.hautelivi...roject-x-rolex/

But I doubt it will be a watch. It must be something literary...right? I hope?

#46 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, someone on my YB Facebook suggested this one as well:

http://www.hautelivi...roject-x-rolex/

But I doubt it will be a watch. I must be something literary...right? I hope?

I'm there in hope with you!

If lit. suspect the short stories theory stacks up best.

But, you know, as I joked in an above post, could Per Fine Ounce be resold as an unpublished, speculation "project".... B)

#47 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

That would be nice and a bit of a departure, yes. It's got to be something creative rather than a repackage (even if just an adaptation of some kind) as that's what I'd call a 'project'.
Or maybe it's some kind of internetty project: some kind of game or social thing or something.

#48 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:08 PM

Glad we only have to wait a week. I couldn't take it if this had been a 6 month countdown. I'm already going nuts after just one day. I want the new thingy new!

#49 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

The anticipation is killing me; I don't think I can handle it.

Same here but luckily we only have a few more days of waiting.

#50 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

Whatever "Project X" is, I'm sure it'll turn out to be awful. B)

#51 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:17 AM

Well quite: this is a fan forum- we're supposed to be disappointed by everything! :tdown:

#52 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:57 AM

I want this to be a new adult Bond novel announcement. Or a new short story book. Would help fill the gap by the movie delay.

Edited by quantumofsolace, 23 May 2010 - 03:57 AM.

#53 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:18 AM

My guess is that IFP noticed that Faulks one book sold more than all of Benson's and that it is in their best interest to sign a new writer every other year to put out a new Bond novel. They will push to having some of the bigger names in spy fiction (or some of the reknowned names in literature a la Faulks) to pen these one-off novels. That could be a project that attracts some new Bond fans by having popular authors penning the novels, and make IFP some nice profits. Just my two cents.

#54 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:53 AM

I just can't stand the font that they used in the announcement. This is obviously some quickie, toss-off attempt at making a quick profit off the Fleming moniker :tdown: .

#55 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Te Rolex Submariner thing seems like a pretty huge coincidence if its unrelated, and Im guessing its not. Probably just some Rolex tie-in or something.

#56 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

The term project to me sounds like something fresh and not a rehash.

Would sincerely hope for the literary angle and, as suggested above, a book of short stories by different authors sounds interesting.

#57 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

Maybe a book about Ian Flemings alleged time at Camp X.

Edit: I didn't realize Zencats http://youngbonddossier.com had an rss feed at ianfleming.com!

#58 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

This is exciting news! I can't wait to learn the announcement. Being that it is falling on Ian Fleming's birthday, I too believe that it's going to be a new James Bond novel. With the number 007 in the Project X, it has to be when he's an adult and I think it will likely occur after Devil May Care.

Now I think there are five questions to answer.

1) Will this project be a full-length novel, or as Brisco suggested a short-story collection with multiple authors? My guess is that it will be the former. While a short-story collection would be interesting and one I would happily accept, I would much prefer a full-length adventure. (I would also love the unlikely scenario of Geoffrey Jenkins' long lost Per Fine Ounce adventure finally getting to see the light of day. That would be terrific.)

2) Who is the new author(s)? I'll go out on a limb and say Ken Follett.

3) Is Project X the title or is it just the codename for marketing the upcoming story? I'll say it is not the title although it would not be a bad one.

4) When will the story be set? With the number 007 inside Project X, it has to be when Bond is an adult, so I think it will occur after Devil May Care which took place circa 1967.

and 5) When will the new story/stories be released? I'll guess that it will be next May on Fleming's birthday--again.

#59 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

I just can't stand the font that they used in the announcement. This is obviously some quickie, toss-off attempt at making a quick profit off the Fleming moniker :tdown: .

:tdown:

On a serious note, though, remember the huge hype and disappointment with DEVIL MAY CARE? That was what prompted my remark.

If - if - Project X turns out to be a new "adult" Bond novel, then I suggest that we don't count our chickens this time (and I was as guilty as anyone of doing that last time).

Even if IFP has landed one of the greatest writers on earth, because they did that with Faulks, and look how badly we got burned.

#60 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

3) Is Project X the title or is it just the codename for marketing the upcoming story? I'll say it is not the title although it would not be a bad one.

It's a codename.

If it were the actual name of a novel or short story, I think we would see the author's name attached to it.