Bond's Delicatessen

24 replies to this topic

#1 Aston V8

Aston V8

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:54 AM

After years of trying to kill Bond, Blofeld decides to make Bond an attractive business offer - a delicatessen... IN STAINLESS STEEL! How different would FYEO been if Bond had landed the helicopter with Blofeld intact and taken his offer?

#2 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

If anything, it have probably been a more enjoyable and less narcoleptic film.

#3 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:06 AM

I would've liked to see what ol' Roger would've made of a Swiss and pastrami on rye... B)

#4 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:16 AM

What a different movie it would have been if Bond had landed the helicopter and blown Blofeld's brains out with his Walther PPK. But I suppose there was still a little MR silliness left over to work off before Bond could truly get "back to Earth."

#5 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

Is it 100% confirmed what Blofeld says?
if yes, what did he mean?

#6 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

I would be interested to know the actual reason for it. It was very random to say the least. B)

#7 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:26 PM

Could make a funny SNL type sketch.

#8 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

... IN STAINLESS STEEL! ....

It seems to me that you've gotten to the heart of the matter here: What if he had not offered / emphasized the material? Would Bond have accepted that offer? Was that the real sticking point?

#9 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:02 AM

Food taste better when it is prepared on stainless steel.

#10 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

What about the name of it? The White Cat?

#11 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

Knowing Blofeld, I think that would frighten some patrons: You know, like, "on the menu?"

From a marketing perspective, it also raises all sorts of "cat versus dog" issues: Seems like one has to pick a side and stick to it.

And Eon Productions, via Blofeld, has obviously already committed to "dog."

#12 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

Knowing Blofeld, I think that would frighten some patrons: You know, like, "on the menu?"

From a marketing perspective, it also raises all sorts of "cat versus dog" issues: Seems like one has to pick a side and stick to it.

What about the "For Your Teeth Only"?

#13 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

Doesn't that risk revisiting a comparison to Sean Connery and the line from Thunderball where he says to Domino, "Wait 'til you get to my teeth"?

#14 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

Doesn't that risk revisiting a comparison to Sean Connery and the line from Thunderball where he says to Domino, "Wait 'til you get to my teeth"?

Then "Delicatessen Royale".

#15 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

Then "Delicatessen Royale".

Perhaps--.

But at this point I have to ask if all this doesn't risk stepping to the realm of the cold-hearted B) now. I mean, after all, what's the next line when Blofeld hand the keys for his eatery over to 007?

"Okay, so this makes us square now for any culpability I may or may not have had for the death of your wife, Tracy. Please sign the following acknowledgement, with carbon copies, and I'll be on my way, Meester Bond."

:tdown:

#16 Attempting Re-entry

Attempting Re-entry

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

Is it 100% confirmed what Blofeld says?
if yes, what did he mean?

Found this online a while ago...

"This line was mentioned in Cubby's autobiography WHEN THE SNOW MELTS. It refers to Italian mafia members offering this as a bribe to get something in exchange. A delicatessen in stainless steel was and still is the top of the line quality. Simply put, your food is better prepared on a surface that is easily cleaned and will not have bacteria clinging to it. Unlike a wooden cutting board or other surfaces. Also, keep in mind that many vendors during the early 1900s sold their food on the streets of New York in carts. If someone had a shoppe or delicatessen, they were obviously doing very well."

Still a strange line, to say the least...

Edited by Attempting Re-entry, 13 April 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#17 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

Ernst and Jimmy's?

#18 Aston V8

Aston V8

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

Be sure to order the Sir Rog - a generous portion of ham and cheese on rye

#19 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

I just have to say that was the funniest thread starter I've seen in a long time. "How would FYEO have been different," indeed. LOL

#20 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

I just have to say that was the funniest thread starter I've seen in a long time. "How would FYEO have been different," indeed. LOL

I agree David_M B)

#21 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

Nice to get the meaning behind the lines.
I don't recall it being in any Fleming material; and if not, then the Mafia reference was a real off the wall statement.

#22 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

Believe me--

There are times when a light-hearted Thread on CBn is a gift from God for me! Not suggesting that you were criticizing this (rather, I suppose just observing a fact), but I really enjoyed this one.

B)

#23 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

Believe me--

There are times when a light-hearted Thread on CBn is a gift from God for me! Not suggesting that you were criticizing this (rather, I suppose just observing a fact), but I really enjoyed this one.

B)

I think of threads as rooms. This is the room with comfy chairs and a bit of friendly banter. Bryce is smoking by the Fireplace with a Martini. Qwerty is sat at his desk typing out a new article for the front page getting choked by Bryce's passive smoke. Jim just popped in the door with a one liner buggered off and everyone has got out their Oxford dictionary's to find out what he actually said.The Admiral just popped in and said "test" and reversed out the room and wont be seen again for a week and Athena hasnt been seen for Months.

Edited by DAN LIGHTER, 14 April 2010 - 10:01 PM.

#24 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

Believe me--

B)

I think of threads as rooms. This is the room with comfy chairs and a bit of friendly banter. Bryce is smoking by the Fireplace with a Martini. Qwerty is sat at his desk typing out a new article for the front page getting choked by Bryce's passive smoke. Jim just popped in the door with a one liner buggered off and everyone has got out their Oxford dictionary's to find out what he actually said.The Admiral just popped in and said "test" and reversed out the room and wont be seen again for a week and Athena hasnt been seen for Months.

Mmm--. Yes, perhaps.

Well, except for maybe Jim. I figure he'd be tossing something at me, or trying to get the watch off my wrist.

Okay, and maybe Athena. She might not be there at all, rather off somewhere making another YouTube video, eh?

#25 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:37 PM

Believe me--

B)

I think of threads as rooms. This is the room with comfy chairs and a bit of friendly banter. Bryce is smoking by the Fireplace with a Martini. Qwerty is sat at his desk typing out a new article for the front page getting choked by Bryce's passive smoke. Jim just popped in the door with a one liner buggered off and everyone has got out their Oxford dictionary's to find out what he actually said.The Admiral just popped in and said "test" and reversed out the room and wont be seen again for a week and Athena hasn't been seen for Months.

Mmm--. Yes, perhaps.

Well, except for maybe Jim. I figure he'd be tossing something at me, or trying to get the watch off my wrist.

Okay, and maybe Athena. She might not be there at all, rather off somewhere making another YouTube video, eh?

Yes, I have picked up on Jim's vibe with your watches Dell. He seems to hate watches, or at least the thread on watches. I find them quite useful personally.