180 replies to this topic

#91 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:08 AM

Can anyone who has this book explain what it says about an Octopussy script using elements from an unused treatment of OHMSS?

#92 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

I would also be particularly interested in that.

#93 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

Can anyone who has this book explain what it says about an Octopussy script using elements from an unused treatment of OHMSS?

Buy a copy and find out.

#94 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

Stay tight-lipped about the book and shut your mouth. B)

#95 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

Yes, I also enjoyed Ian Fleming's unpublished Bond short story, the entire text of Per Fine Ounce, proof that Dalton 3 was called Property of a Lady, and that full Bond 23 treatment. Wonderful!

#96 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

I'm getting tired of all the whining regarding the price of Charles' book. I've been unemployed for 2 years, 3 months and counting and I was able to scrounge up $69 for a copy! If I could afford it at that price, then the rest of you with jobs can afford it in the $54 range.

IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY! YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

This is a forum, remember, Saint? I, for one, am not whining about the price of the book. I respect Charles' right to charge whatever he pleases, and I'm sure the book is a wonderful read, but all readers have the perfect right to decide what they're willing to pay for a book. IMO, the long range strategy should be to sell as many copies as possible, with an eye toward interesting a major house in republishing, eventually. Which sales figure would be more impressive: 2000-3000 copies, at $54, apiece--or 5000-10000 copies, at $30-$35 each? Just saying.

#97 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

I don't think Charles is charging "whatever he pleases," I think he's charging what he has to charge to break even. I think a lot of fans don't entirely appreciate what this is because it's a first in Bond fandom. THE OHMSS expert and collector has thrown open his head and collection and here are photos and inside info you will NEVER get in any other book. I understand what this is because it happens in the Houdini world from time to time. Big time collectors/experts self publish a speciality book. In the Houdini world, they cost $300 and nobody bats an eye. In fact, you usually have to know the collector to even get a copy, and when they are gone they are GONE. And those books, if they show up, sell for $1,200 today.

But I can't talk someone into spending $50 when they don't see the value. Don't mean to pressure anyone. I'm just ringing the bell as a fan and a collector that THIS is something special. And if you're a fan of OHMSS, to pass on this would be tragic!

#98 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

I don't think Charles is charging "whatever he pleases," I think he's charging what he has to charge to break even. I think a lot of fans don't entirely appreciate what this is because it's a first in Bond fandom. THE OHMSS expert and collector has thrown open his head and collection and here are photos and inside info you will NEVER get in any other book. I understand what this is because it happens in the Houdini world from time to time. Big time collectors/experts self publish a speciality book. In the Houdini world, they cost $300 and nobody bats an eye. In fact, you usually have to know the collector to even get a copy, and when they are gone they are GONE. And those books, if they show up, sell for $1,200 today.

But I can't talk someone into spending $50 when they don't see the value. Don't mean to pressure anyone. I'm just ringing the bell as a fan and a collector that THIS is something special. And if you're a fan of OHMSS, to pass on this would be tragic!

Intresting thoughts Zencat. When you put it like that you have me sold!

I can understand the moaning about the price, and yes this is a forum for free speech to a certain degree. But consider the Author, and his labour of love with this. The reviews are wonderful for it, by many hardcore Bond fans who have read everything on Bond, so think of it as an investment. B)

#99 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

Again, if you understand the value, this price is nothing.

Just think about how you learned about this book. Did you see an ad in the paper? Did you find it in Borders? No. This was peer to peer, fan to fan, if it wasn't for this forum, you might not even know this book existed. That's because this is good stuff baby, the real stuff, the stuff so pure it has to self-published and marketed under the radar. Before the net, if you didn't know Charles or one of the big collectors, this is the kind of book you'd only discover some day in a used bookstore sitting under glass with a $300 price tag and you'd say, "When did this come out!?" And then you'd pay that $300 and feel lucky you saw it before another Bond collector.

Back to my Houdini example. I'm very excited that one of these major self-published Houdini books is about to drop. Houdini The Key by Patrick Culliton, a book which is going to reveal Houdini's secrets. And I'm talking about his REAL secrets. Pat is a guy who has spent a lifetime researching this -- he has disassembled the locking mechanism for the Water Torture Cell for crying out loud! I don't know how many he's going to print, I don't know how much he's going to charge, but I do know Pat won't even sell this book to the general public. He only wants people "in the craft" to have it, which I expect means passing a little litmus test that typically involves putting on a suit and tie and meeting Patrick at The Magic Castle for some martinis and deep discussion of Houdini and magic. If Pat feels it, the book comes out...

Of course, if he's asking $50 for it, I'm going to tell him to go B) himself. I can get a book about Houdini at Borders for $20!

Get it?

#100 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

Again, if you understand the value, this price is nothing.

Definitely. The book is hidden treasure itself and well worth paying for. I would buy its equivalent for (well almost) every single Bond film made.

#101 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

......Of course, if he's asking $50 for it, I'm going to tell him to go B) himself. I can get a book about Houdini at Borders for $20!

Get it?

:)

Mother has ordered it for my Birthday (Cough* 14th Aug *Cough)

She said "How :tdown:ing much!"......no, she just said she got it from Amazon.co.uk.

Reading the Amazon reviews, I note a D. Schofield gave it a 5 out of 5. Now, if thats our D.Schofield from here then it's a bloody good book. Mr Schofield is not easily pleased and also not afraid to say so. :tdown:

#102 007 Magazine

007 Magazine

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

Buy a copy and find out.

I couldn't agree more Saint! You won't find this book in the library lads and lassies, so stop prevaricating and get your tight-B) hands out of your pockets and your minds into gear and shell out the necessary greenbacks for a book that is not only a sound investment which one day will become the Holy Grail of Bond book collectables, but is also a major piece of work by anyone's account. If the book was priced at $100 a copy it would still be worth purchasing two copies! No hardcore Bond fan should be able to sleep at night until they have 'The Making of On Her Majesty's Secret Service' firmly planted on their bookshelf at home.

I opened up my 007 MAGAZINE ARCHIVE to Charles in order he could add to his already vast collection of astounding photographs he had ready to reproduce in his book, and the final result is a fabulous display of images coupled with definitive, informative, precise and intelligent text, together with a lot of important first time revelations - and the design and layout isn't bad either! :tdown: Only a dummy would fail to own this book!

Get on to Amazon immediately!

Graham Rye
Editor & Publisher
007 MAGAZINE
www.007magazine.co.uk

#103 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

B)

I'm not sure how your response or The Saint's in any way gives a clarifying answer to my question about unused elements of an early OHMSS treatment and Octopussy's first draft. If you're not going to answer the question and instead try to make me feel like a cheap-:tdown: for not owning it already, why even bother to respond?

#104 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

Not trying to make you feel cheap, coco1997, just trying to impress upon you, and any fan who might pass on this book because of the cost, just how special this book is and how it's worth the money.

And I've forgotten now exactly how OP used OHMSS elements. I'd need to pop open the book and look it up, and I'm just too lazy. That's my problem. B)

#105 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

I understand, zen, but the caliber of the info I asked about is not going to be the deal breaker whether I buy this book or not. I will get it one day soon when I can afford it.

#106 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:41 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure that it would harm Charles any for coco1997's question to be answered. On the contrary, it may convince him and any wavering lurkers here that Charles' research has been of the highest standard and that the book is well worth buying. A little "trailer" for the book, as it were.

Most of us like to look a little before we buy, be it flicking through a book in a bookshop or listening to some songs on YouTube while deciding whether to buy the CD.

#107 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:30 AM

Most of us like to look a little before we buy, be it flicking through a book in a bookshop or listening to some songs on YouTube while deciding whether to buy the CD.

They have that sort of Look Inside! function on Amazon for a certain number of wide-release books; I doubt they'd take the time to do it for Helfenstein's hefty tome... B)

#108 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

Personally speaking I was most intrigued by Maibaum's choice for the actor to play Blofeld...a solid choice and shows Maibaum had great taste. Of course anyone who knows me, and has read the book, will understand what I am talking about B)

The book really is a solid investment. I was shocked at the level of information available. And, the revelations disproving some widely held beliefs about the movie's production.

#109 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

......Of course, if he's asking $50 for it, I'm going to tell him to go B) himself. I can get a book about Houdini at Borders for $20!

Get it?

:)

Mother has ordered it for my Birthday (Cough* 14th Aug *Cough)

She said "How :tdown:ing much!"......no, she just said she got it from Amazon.co.uk.

Reading the Amazon reviews, I note a D. Schofield gave it a 5 out of 5. Now, if thats our D.Schofield from here then it's a bloody good book. Mr Schofield is not easily pleased and also not afraid to say so. :tdown:

Yes, its me, Dan.

I've been a long time OHMSS fan and defender from back in the day when it "barely existed" and there were only really two Bonds, Mr Connery (who everybody loved) and his stand-in, Mr Moore (who everybody hated).

But if I had to adios my Bond collection and keep a limited few, everything would go except the Flemings, Wood's Spy, and Seller's "Battle for Bond" and Charles' book.

The rest are far less important and, having read them once, I could happily do without.

Value for month is the question, not "cost".

Dan, look forward to your birthday. It might add another year of age, but getting Charles' book is well worth the sacrifice.

#110 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Just wanted to clarify: when I used that phrase, it wasn't meant in a pejorative way. I do believe, sincerely, that Charles should do as he sees fit. He is a world expert on his subject and he's devoted a good deal of time to the project. He has every right to break even and do far better than that, with good luck. But the price that's been set is a gamble. Let me tell you a true story: I came close to marrying, a while back, a lady doctor who professed the greatest support for my past work and my talent. As the day approached, however, she began to relax just a little too much. She remarked that doctors, as a class, were more successul than writers not just because they made more money...but because their earnings were predictable. They made such and such an hour, recovering all of their school expenses, etc--whereas a writer might struggle for 15-20 years before landing a big sale. How big is such a sale though, she wondered, if we factor in the decades of study, the thousands on thousands of hours of work? Can such a writer be called successful if his Big Payday averages out to $7-$10 for, say, 10,000 hours of work...over the course of x years?
Are you saying, I asked her, that I would be a loser if I sold a novel for a million dollar advance? Or that I'd be a loser one day and then a winner the next? She smiled serenely and said, "How much would you have made per hour from the time you decided to write?"

Luckily, we didn't marry. But my thoughts on the subject have sharpened: we're entitled to ask for whatever we think fair...but the market may have other ideas and different strategies may be called for. E.G., if I'm offered an advance, for my next book, that's smaller than I want, I'll consider contingency plans--finding or creating ways to publicize all hell out of the book, giving readings/signings, going on tour, whatever it takes. My objective would be to get the book into as many hands as possible, convinced that the money would follow.

I salute Charles once again. And I salute his right to charge, as I've said, what he thinks the market will bear. I sincerely hope he's right.

#111 dchantry

dchantry

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

Had this for my birthday and once I started to read it, couldn't put it down. Must say that it's an excellent read and I enjoyed it very much. Some great pictures in there too.
For those who think it's a lot of money, it is but worth it if you like the film. Remember, 007 mag has released 2 OHMSS specials lately and Graham has had to charge £9.99 each in order to cover his costs and they cannot even begin to try to cover the same level of detail as what is in this book.

#112 Krilencu

Krilencu

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

BTW, if I already have the book (which is EXCELLENT, say thanksee), are those OHMSS specials worth buying?

#113 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

Having read more above posts and reviews of this book, further tipping me towards a purchase, regarding the question above, I would say the answer is likely to be Yes.

There are examples where fan sponsored creations of their chosen interests are beyond dire. The assumption that, because they can write the canon backwards it means they can create further adventures and forays, is a misnomer.

Where the fan is better able to excel is in their dedication to investigate, and then present their findings in a fashion that will always better the efforts of others who are on a paycheck. Tony Nourmand's poster book, anyone?

Unfortunately, the fans' creations will probably always cost more than a paychecked version, the payoff being the dedication to their task. So, Yes, the Specials are worth it and the Rye's and Helfenstein's should be supported.

#114 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

Just ordered this!

#115 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

To the naysayers about the price, you know there is an option... you don't have to buy it.

#116 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

Throwing this one on the birthday list. Sounds fantastic.

#117 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

I have just started to read this tome and, one chapter in, I found myself reeling over the sheer amount of research that must have been performed to create his text.

I have not browsed the images, rather preferring to greet the images along with the text, but so far, again, the sheer number of picture libraries the author must have visited to collate his supporting material.... So far, a promisingly incredible body of work.

This last may tell more about me than anything else, but there do appear to be a fair sprinkling of typos and errors that should have been picked up by a proof reader. I started to make a note of these in case anyone was interested for second printings (not sure how these things work) as I was thinking Hotel Speldide did need correcting, and a chap visiting a cemetary to INsure his quarry was dead might have preferred to ENsure it instead. But, as I say, perhaps this says more about me.

However, as a result of my note taking and subsequent querying, I was surprised to learn that the UK 'plough' has an American spelling in 'plow'. Didn't know that.

Anyway, I look forward to returning to the pages as time permits.

#118 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

However, as a result of my note taking and subsequent querying I was surprised to learn that the UK 'plough' has an American spelling in 'plow'. Didn't know that.

As a U.K. born and raised editor working here in the U.S. I have spent a great deal of time looking through U.S. dictionaries to see if something one of my writers wrote was a typo or simply the U.S. spelling of a word.

There are numerous examples, perhaps the best known one is Aluminium which is spelled without the second "i" in the U.S.

#119 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

There are numerous examples, perhaps the best known one is Aluminium which is spelled without the second "i" in the U.S.

Mainly because it is pronounced without the second "i", as Alumi-NUM (rhymes with "numb"). We Yanks also don't throw random "u"s into our words, left and right... B)

#120 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

Yes, this 'Aluminum' example is perhaps more phonetically lead than purely a castration of the English language because there are just too many letters to cope with.

Referring back to Plough (UK) and Plow (US), this trend extends itself to many words with a US-considered redundant 'U' in the word. But perhaps they were just trying for efficiency.

That said, it does rather smack of cannibalisation in the same way that Australians have to shorten whole words that contain four too many syllables. I am thinking of examples like Afternoon (UK) and Arvo (Aus), and also Freemantle (Australian nominated name) and Freeo (Aus every day castration). Do you see what they have done there? There is an affinity with the letter 'O' that if included in or at the end of every word, makes everything Ok-o.

Although perhaps this last may not catch on.

I am wondering now which other continent's language I can knock sideways.