3 replies to this topic

#1 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 12:19 AM

I was wondering about how this character came about in YOLT, and have come to the conclusion that she is Roald Dahl's version of a young, sexy Irma Bunt. Helga is German, Irma is Swiss or German, Helga is secretary to respectabile villian Osato, Irma to respectible count de Bleuchamp. Both have red hair and try to kill Bond. With Dahl's interpretation of the good/bad/good girls formula that the filmmakers had established, he concluded Irma must become Helga.

Any other ideas on how elements from the novels became very different creatures in the films?

2 more that come immediately to mind:

YOLT piranha pool is inspired by the garden of death

the DAF teaser mud bath is from the Saratoga Springs section of the novel (the jockey who gets burned by the mud)

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 01:37 AM

The book to film "tossing and mixing" of elements, sequences, characters etc. has been going on for sometime.

Here's one for you.

In FYEO, Bond and Melina are dragged by Kristatos over a coral reef.

That one's from the novel LALD.

There are plenty more....

In my own opinion, MR would have been a great film if they had actually done it literally. Book to film. - but it was a different time. What if MR had followed DN as the second Bond film?

Hmmm.

Oh, welcome to CBn Peter;)

"CBn....MGM free since...well....August"

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 05:09 PM

TLD and LTK also mixed in book elements mixed into their modern storylines.

I think Moonraker would still work as a film as translated from the book somewhat. Cubby Broccoli said at the time MR was being filmed it was not a doable plot for the modern era. With every country now stockpiling its own weapons, this is just as viable as ever.

#4 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 08:03 PM

Roald Dahl was told his script should have Bond with three different women. So I guess that's where Helga came from.

As for DAF, the same thought just occured to me the other day; the mud makes much more sense when you realize it comes from somewhere.