This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

GOLDENEYE VS PERFECT DARK Which do You prefer?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Blofeld

Blofeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 12:33 AM

For me, this is a toughie. I guess Goldeneye for the solo missions but Perfect Dark is the clear winner in terms of the multiplayer options and functions. I have logged just under 16 days of multi-player time on my character, "Scarface". A battle hardened veteren whose used to playing against several difficult simulants. Despite the fact that Perfect Dark isn't connected with the Bond franchise, I'm curious to hear your opinions folks. By the way, I had no idea GOLDENEYE was banned in Gremany.:) How long was it on the shelves before they decided to pull it? And is it still unavailable?

#2 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 01:34 AM

I actually prefer GoldenEye to Perfect Dark, I have both, but never really got into PD.

#3 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 02:08 AM

Easily GE. PD was fun but it gathers dust while GE gets picked up every month or so. PD's multiplayer had more options but GE's multiplayer had more of a coolness factor...if that makes sense.

Also, GE came at a time when the N64 was still the hottest thing going and felt fresh and advanced. PD felt rough and aged from the beginning.

#4 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 02:03 AM

GoldenEye. Definitely GoldenEye. I agree with all that's been said.

#5 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 03:27 AM

Goldeneye.. hands down. I must admit that the single player missions in perfect dark are a little better, but Rare did such a great job translating goldeneye from film to game format, it's just hard to beat. I spent many sleepless nights playing PD with a friend of mine, it was us vs. 4 bots in the complex.... damn that was fun.

Rich

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 10:04 PM

I gotta disagree with you guys here, PD wins in every field. Ok, the storyline was a bit, how say we put it, farfetched, but it still wins on graphics,voice,weapons,variablity and of course, multiplayer. I'd say that GE sits on the shelf gatering dust for months, while PD, I play more often. There is more variety on the multiplayer, better graphics on the whole game and the ability to change functions on guns. There is also, and this I like, training facilities at the start, so you can train yourself on the firing range and simulator. I also like, and don't al me gruesome, the fact that the baddies bodies don't just disappear, you have to step over them whilst running through the hallways with shock troops on your back. And for all the GE fans, the ability to use Classic GE guns as cheats when you earn golds on the firing range. On multiplayer, you can also use the long-awaited 'Four Bond's' skins, where you can use tuxedos of Connery,Moore,Dalton and Brosnan (for me, its Connery's white tux). My rank on Combat simulator is also Veteran:11, but I aim higher, and my name, being Bond obsessed, is 007:o. Overall though, RARE did a great job on both games:)

#7 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 10:39 PM

Of course (completely unbond related) the best game ever made in my opinion is Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, if you have a PS2... BUY THIS GAME.

Rich

#8 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 10:44 PM

Is it out then Rich? I didn't know it was. Anyway, I know GTA3 is amazing, and I am hopefully getting it for the PC, but I'll rent out Vice City when its out on PC too:)

#9 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:01 PM

it came out yesturday. one word..... INCREDIBLE... they took everything from GTAIII and made it completely better. Let me put it this way, as I type this I have just paused the game and I am in the middle of a shootout in with the police after stealing a motorcycle, ravaging the inside of a mall, and ending up holed up in a pizza joint for cover.

Rich

#10 mi6spy005

mi6spy005

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 11:34 PM

GoldenEye without a doubt. Perfect Dark just couldn't maintain my interests.

#11 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 02:35 AM

Basically if Goldeneye and PD got together and had kids, that would be the best game ever. Goldeneye, just because its Bond and PD's graphics and SUPREME multiplayer. Btw, Carver, my rank on my multiplayer character is 9 and his name is 007 also.

~LTK~

#12 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 10:16 PM

Originally posted by License To Kill
Btw, Carver, my rank on my multiplayer character is 9 and his name is 007 also.

Well, ain't it a small world? Anyway, I sometimes cheat to get my rank higher, but then I come to my senses and do it the honest way. Just give me a Laptop gun and a CMP150 and let me run around the Grid Arena and then I'll kick ***! BTW Rich, I hope you had fun in that shoot out of yours;)

#13 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Rich Douglas
Of course (completely unbond related) the best game ever made in my opinion is Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, if you have a PS2... BUY THIS GAME.

Rich

Looked everywhere for it last night (as soon as I had the money for it) but nobody had any left. I ordered from ebgames last night and it shipped today. Since I chose 1-day air shipping, I should have it by this time tomorrow. :)

#14 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 10:26 PM

Be sure to take one of the bikes into the North Point Mall (and rob several stores while you're there :) ), it's a blast! You'll love it paul!

Rich

#15 007_JamesBond

007_JamesBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 05:22 PM

i like them both although i did like all different weapons in P.D but in Goldeneye it fallowed the movie pretty well so i liked that, for me it is equal

#16 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 09:30 PM

GoldenEye, hands down. I do thouroughly enjoy Perfect Dark, I love it, but I dislike all of the options you have in MP. I mean, in the middle of a shootout, who is going to have time to bring up the screen, select your gun options, see your stats, control one of your AI teammates and what not. GE is easy: kill n' change. And I sort of feel there's too many options in PD. I mean, it sometimes takes my friend and I 5-10 minutes just to set the MP up. Whereas, GE is a very simple, straightforward setup. Still, I'm a little peeved that the 4 Bonds skins were taken out at the last minute, though. but I am very satisfied with GE. The graphics are better in PD, but I like GE way more.

#17 0010

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 November 2002 - 12:50 AM

Goldeneye for sure. I just never liked PD as much because it wasn't Bond and was just too futuristic for me.

#18 Fiona

Fiona

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 09:42 AM

Goldeneye. I love the Donkey Kong/Paintball game. always has me in stitches!

#19 Blofeld

Blofeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 10:08 AM

Carver,
I should apologize to you and the other members regarding the wording in my first post. I mentioned that my character Scarface was a "battle hardened veteran", which was just a figure of speech on my part, my actual current title rating is #3:Invinsible. I've been at that rating for some time now, and I'm dying to find out what the heck a number 1 rating is. Carver, speaking of running around and kicking butt with a Laptop gun and CMP150 in the Grid, I'll take the same weapons but be in the Villa or Skedar arenas. While playing the Grid, I prefer to chuck Remote Mines everywhere and do some killin' that way. How many, and which Simulants do you like to use? I have all 8 options filled with:2 teams of 3 which consist of 2 hard sims and a Venge or Preysim and have 2 Darksims by themselves.
Keep the opinions coming folks!:)

#20 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 09:52 PM

Well Blofeld, the number 1 rating is Perfect. I also battle it out on the Villa, and mainly the Fortress, but I'm unstopable in the Grid. I have teams of 3, 3 teams in all and my team is red, but names 'MI6'. The other on my team are Speed and Rocket sim (I had Venge, but when I accidently shot him, he became my enemy.) and they are both dressed in Moore's and Brosnan's tuxes. The other tend to be Normals and Sheild sims, with a couple of Cowards and Hard sims there too. What I like to do is chuck out a prox. Dragon into the arena, in amongst several fighting CPU's, and sit back and enjoy the BBQ!:)

#21 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 05:36 PM

How is perfect dark. I never really got a chance to play it. I had some really great multi player on GoldenEye. I'd proubly prefer GoldenEye.

#22 Blofeld

Blofeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 11:26 PM

Carver,
This is uncanny. My team color is also Red, but I changed the name to "ELITE". The only time I play the Fortress level is when I select my "tranqfest" setting. Basically, it's me and four Meatsims with nothing but traquilizers and knives for weapons. If I tried playing the Fortress with my current "007fest" setting with all those hard and perfectsims, I'd get killed the moment I step into the open room. I also usually play with just myself on my team, unless friends are with me.
Warbird,
I love that sig file!:)

#23 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 09:48 PM

Blofeld,
How can you fight with tranquilizers? Geez, I hate the things, f*king up your vision and such, I leave them out. I usually keep the same weapons, unless I want a change, but there's always a Lapton gun and CMP150 there somewhere. My best levels are Grid,Fortress,Villa,Base and Temple:D

#24 Blofeld

Blofeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 06:58 AM

Carver,
I don't mind using tranq's much, as along as it's only against 4 meatsims. Besides, it's funny as hell watching them run around like drunk idiots while they're all drugged up. I recently started another scenario I call "Fistfest". It's 8 fistsims on different teams and myself. Sounds crazy, but, being fistsims, they don't use the weapons that they pick up. I can however. I recently began using the RCP-120 as my primary weapon in this setting. I'm usually wary about using it during my "007fest" because of the cloaking device being the secondary function, but it does provide an interesting challenge. While playing the Grid,Temple,Base or the Felicity, I usually prefer to use Remote Mines as my weapon of choice.:)

#25 ShakeNotStirred

ShakeNotStirred

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 01:13 AM

Goldeneye is better, for one because PD pretty much just copied everything GE did, even though PD has got the best gun ever, the Laptop Gun, but GE was the first and still the best. Even though one nite me and best friend played PD and we played vrs like 4 dark sims and played like the first to 1000 kills and unbelievably we beat them like 1000 to 998. It was so damn fun and took so fricking long. About five hours.