Travis McGee

51 replies to this topic

#1 s.a.s. Malko

s.a.s. Malko

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:06 AM

Are there some Travis McGee - fans around here? I think it would be really the perfect time for a decent film version. In my opinion the books are very well written and it would be easy to modernize them a bit to fit in the new century. Hugh Jackman would be perfect, but eye-and haircolour is wrong.

#2 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:47 AM

I'm a John D. MacDonald/Travis McGee fan. The good news is that there may be a movie made from THE DEEP BLUE GOODBYE soon. The bad news is that it's very possible Leonardo DiCaprio will be cast in the role of Travis.

While Jackman could be better than DiCaprio, I honestly think they're both wrong for the role. McGee played football in college, did a tour of duty in the military. He's a tough guy who's been around. His attractive to women without being pretty.

Anyway, I don't have anyone in mind for the part. I'm just hoping that DiCaprio passes on it and the producers and studio get the bright idea to cast an unknown with strong acting chops.

#3 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:04 AM

DiCaprio for McGee? Seems truly not a fitting casting decision. I also suppose it's a one-off if it's him, as he seems to be more comfortable with roving and more diverse engagements than with a series character. I certainly would never have thought of him (although I like DiCaprio and think he's a fine actor).

#4 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:53 AM

I've read all the books and have the Rod Taylor starrer "Darker Than Amber" on tape. I'd like to see the Sam Elliot Travis McGee tv-movie.

Would love to see a Travis McGee series of movies, though not with DiCaprio.

#5 s.a.s. Malko

s.a.s. Malko

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

I'm a John D. MacDonald/Travis McGee fan. The good news is that there may be a movie made from THE DEEP BLUE GOODBYE soon. The bad news is that it's very possible Leonardo DiCaprio will be cast in the role of Travis.

While Jackman could be better than DiCaprio, I honestly think they're both wrong for the role. McGee played football in college, did a tour of duty in the military. He's a tough guy who's been around. His attractive to women without being pretty.

Anyway, I don't have anyone in mind for the part. I'm just hoping that DiCaprio passes on it and the producers and studio get the bright idea to cast an unknown with strong acting chops.

What????? Did anyone of the producers read just one of the books? McGee is about 1,93 and 95 kg, that looks perfect like Leo :-(

#6 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

What????? Did anyone of the producers read just one of the books? McGee is about 1,93 and 95 kg, that looks perfect like Leo :-(

I've only read a few of them, but while McGee is quite a 'physical' presence my impression is that his built is not nearly as central to the plot for example Jack Reacher's is. McGee is a hunk, but he's not solely dependent on that physique and not constantly thrashing adversaries. In some cases, while he generally can hold himself in a fight, he's even come out second place at times and only his toughness kept him in the game. DiCaprio wouldn't be on my list of possible McGees, but it's not exactly the lack of height or weight that's giving me doubts about this project.

#7 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

I think DiCaprio is a good actor, but he's pretty; not my idea of a believable tough guy in the least. It's funny. Whenever he plays tough he always seems to grow facial hair. To me it looks weird on him and only serves to accentuate how miscast he is.

Having said that, I'd like to see him play a villain. Preferably a psychopath role that played against his looks.

Forgot to post the link to this article from last year. They announce that they want to do a McGee movie series, and even the type of actor they want. It all sounds fantastic. A few days after this DiCaprio's name was thrown out in connection with it and I rolled my eyes.

Incidentally, my ideal Travis McGee would've been 1960s era Steve McQueen. If Daniel Craig weren't already playing James Bond...

Edited by Jackanaples, 21 January 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#8 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

Incidentally, my ideal Travis McGee would've been 1960s era Steve McQueen. If Daniel Craig weren't already playing James Bond...

I think compared to McGee of the books McQueen was next to tiny. But I get what you mean, he's the kind of face that you can imagine getting through very rough stuff. Craig of course also. But if it's really DiCaprio doing this new attempt I highly doubt there will be a series. It would mean a complete change of his usual practice and I don't exactly see this happening. If he wanted to get into franchise business there surely must be more fitting opportunities, isn't it?

#9 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

Yeah, I know. According to Wikipedia Travis McGee was 6'4" and weighed 205 lbs. McQueen wasn't the biggest guy around. But watching him, you just knew he was eminently capable enough to hold his own in a scrap.

Maybe Kevin McKidd. He's 6' tall, and seems tough as well.

Personally, if I was casting this sort of thing I'd go with an actor with some real presence and chops, but hadn't made his name yet. Make a star out of him. You know, the EON Productions did with Sean Connery. Get the right actor for the part, and a great script.

#10 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

I think DiCaprio is a good actor, but he's pretty; not my idea of a believable tough guy in the least. It's funny. Whenever he plays tough he always seems to grow facial hair. To me it looks weird on him and only serves to accentuate how miscast he is.

Having said that, I'd like to see him play a villain. Preferably a psychopath role that played against his looks.

Forgot to post the link to this article from last year. They announce that they want to do a McGee movie series, and even the type of actor they want. It all sounds fantastic. A few days after this DiCaprio's name was thrown out in connection with it and I rolled my eyes.

I saw The Hurt Locker the other day and was struck by the resemblance of star Jeremy Renner to Daniel Craig. How about Renner as Travis McGee? Or Matthew McConaughey? He 6-foot, blonde, has an athletic build, and seems to have a similar attitude to McGee.

#11 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

For all those who advocate McQueen as a bare-knuckle scrapping tough guy, can someone give me an example of a movie where he was actually in a fight???

I seee McQueen behind a gun, aware of his physical strengths and - particularly - weaknesses. Just like the literary James Bond, really.

#12 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:11 AM

For all those who advocate McQueen as a bare-knuckle scrapping tough guy, can someone give me an example of a movie where he was actually in a fight???

I seee McQueen behind a gun, aware of his physical strengths and - particularly - weaknesses. Just like the literary James Bond, really.

Can't think of one particular fight right at the moment (although I seem to remeber 'Nevada Smith', 'Cincinnati Kid' and 'The Hunter' must have had some fights). But I doubt he would have been a contender for McGee as he apparently was only 5.6 or 5.7.

However, his looks and his charisma would have certainly fit McGee. I don't know how much the character's overall balance shootings/fisticuffs would be, as I've only read five or six of them, but my impression isn't McGee constantly smashes heads by the dozen. I could well imagine McQueen in the role in a late 60'S/early 70's production.

#13 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

I suspect casting a McGee who would have the ability to act as well as all the physical characteristics would be very difficult.

In much the same way as the movie industry is being severly taxed in finding its Jack Reacher.

And in much the same way as the makers of the "Taffin" movie must have been troubled. Because the Taffin of the novels is not remotely as lightweight as Pierce Brosnan. Indeed, he's even bigger than McGee.

#14 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

Daniel Craig has been mentioned as being a good fit for Travis. Of course, there would be constant comparisons to Bond.

Matthew Mcconaughey could pull it off, perhaps, but it would basically be "Dirk Pitt Redux," and the last time they tried to kickstart an adventure franchise with Matthew it didn't work out. A more serious actor might be better for Travis, as well.

Say what you will about Leo -- but he has the acting chops to do it, and looks the part. Compare:

Travis McGee
Posted Image

Leonardo
Posted Image

It doesn't get much closer than that -- actually it almost looks like he modeled for the cover.

DiCaprio can play rough adventurous characters when needed -- something along the lines of Blood Diamond perhaps.
Posted Image

The perfect answer, of course, is to find a relative unknown for the franchise. Anybody have other ideas?

Edited by Binyamin, 27 January 2010 - 11:30 PM.

#15 s.a.s. Malko

s.a.s. Malko

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:43 AM

Daniel Craig has been mentioned as being a good fit for Travis. Of course, there would be constant comparisons to Bond.

Matthew Mcconaughey could pull it off, perhaps, but it would basically be "Dirk Pitt Redux," and the last time they tried to kickstart an adventure franchise with Matthew it didn't work out. A more serious actor might be better for Travis, as well.

Say what you will about Leo -- but he has the acting chops to do it, and looks the part. Compare:

Travis McGee
Posted Image

Leonardo
Posted Image

It doesn't get much closer than that -- actually it almost looks like he modeled for the cover.

DiCaprio can play rough adventurous characters when needed -- something along the lines of Blood Diamond perhaps.
Posted Image

The perfect answer, of course, is to find a relative unknown for the franchise. Anybody have other ideas?

Watched "Lost" today. I think, Josh Holloway would be a terrific Travis McGee. He is taller then Leo, has good chemistry with women and he looks tougher, too. Has to cut his hair, though. Btw, if they would have made "The lonely silver rain" a few years ago, I think, Jeff Bridges would have been awesome.

#16 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Hard to argue with how much Di Caprio looks like the picture of Travis McGee in that picture. Still, the man has just never seemed "masculine" enough to me to ever portray a convincing Travis McGee. For the most part, he seems somewhat sexless to me. Guys will admit to thinking he's a good actor, but you don't want to be Leonardo Di Caprio, you know? He's handsome, but I never hear women gush about how hot he is in the way they do about other actors.

Josh Holloway on the other hand would be perfect for the role. Men dig him, women love him. He's got the build, the roguish charm, and would be totally believable in the role.

From your lips to God's ears, my friend.

#17 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

Perhaps it's just too early for DiCaprio? IMO he seems to lack the lines in his face as yet to convey the experience and serenity I associate with McGee. But in 10 or 15 years his features might just have collected them, who knows? Even in his more recent roles I see him as a bit of 'kid'. Compare him to Damon in 'The Departed' and although it's only 4 years between them there is never a question who's the older character.

BTW, Damon? I'd have difficulty with DiCaprio, but him I'd be willing to accept.

#18 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

Even in ten years, Di Caprio isn't going to come off as a convincing man's man/woman's man type of guy. That's not a putdown. There are roles he is good for that others would not be.

Personally, I'd like to see him lose the facial hair, emphasize his boyish good looks... and a play against all of that as a character who's a complete psychopath.

#19 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

Even in ten years, Di Caprio isn't going to come off as a convincing man's man/woman's man type of guy. That's not a putdown. There are roles he is good for that others would not be.

Personally, I'd like to see him lose the facial hair, emphasize his boyish good looks... and a play against all of that as a character who's a complete psychopath.

I haven't read all the McGees as yet, but I didn't see that, his ladykiller potential, as the most important/vital/significant trait of his character. I have a problem with seeing the necessary resilience and ruggedness, the quiet confidence and resourcefulness in DiCaprio. Don't know if that is something the project would try to show or if the entire emphasis deliberately is a different one. It wouldn't be 100 per cent true to the source material, but it's been known to happen at times with adaptions.

#20 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:04 AM

It's been a few years since I've read any McGee novels, but as I recall it's a hot and cold running chicks on the Busted Flush. Women, and Travis's involvement with them is an important aspect to the series.

I agree with you that while an adult he still seems to be a "kid". I don't know. I've seen him in a number of movies and cannot for the life of me picture him as a tough guy.

Incidentally, I've read the screenplay for this. It seems to follow the book pretty close. Josh Holloway would be great for McGee. The Junior Allen part is nasty and if done right, could make some actor's career.

#21 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

I agree about DiCaprio seeming all wrong. Then again, so was the more macho Rod Taylor. Hard to say why they've had so much trouble finding a workable lead. I admire Josh Holloway's style and presence, but somehow can't see him pulling it off anymore than Matthew M.

#22 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:21 PM

It's been a few years since I've read any McGee novels, but as I recall it's a hot and cold running chicks on the Busted Flush. Women, and Travis's involvement with them is an important aspect to the series.

My impression too, but I also think that's a particularly sixty-ish element, a whole ship crawling with ladies, throwing an everlasting party that's only disturbed by McGee having to scratch some cash for a new round of drinks. A bit film-poster-Bond like, the whole thing. I could see them dropping that with the new attempt, or at the very least toning it down somewhat, regardless of who takes the part in the end.

I agree about DiCaprio seeming all wrong. Then again, so was the more macho Rod Taylor. Hard to say why they've had so much trouble finding a workable lead. I admire Josh Holloway's style and presence, but somehow can't see him pulling it off anymore than Matthew M.

If there had been an 80's McGee production I could imagine Tom Selleck in the role; with a more serious tone and direction than 'Magnum P.I.' I could see him do the part very well. At any rate he would have been closer to what I feel is McGee's 'seasoned veteran' character.

#23 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

Do tough guys such as McGee still exist? I haven't met one in a long while.

The rise of Metrosexuality has surely rendered this series unfilmable.

#24 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

Well, I doubt if the whole 'metrosexual' thing is the problem. That was really more a late 1990s/early 2000s thing. It's always been an overwhelming majority of pretty boys over tough guys in Hollywood.

As mentioned in another thread, most of the tough guy actors of decades past started out playing villains: Bogart, Bronson, Boone, even Lee Marvin became leading men almost by accident.

That said I still think Josh Holloway could play the hell out of Travis McGee. Or you know, a Mississippi riverboat gambler. I think he could make the shift to movies quite easily with the right role.

Edited by Jackanaples, 12 March 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#25 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:47 PM

The DiCaprio/McGee talk is heating up again, and now Oliver Stone's name is getting thrown into the mix. No idea how serious or reliable it is, but here's the link.

#26 s.a.s. Malko

s.a.s. Malko

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

After re-reading the last three books, I think it would be better to do a mini-series like Band of Brothers out of all the books (still with Josh Holloway :-). In my opinion the stories would work much better that way. In a time of big budget/ cgi/3d-crap with no good scripts and well written characters in the cinemas, it would be easier to do justice to the perfect written books on the small screen.

#27 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

Anybody else really scratching their heads over this one? Never a big fan of Stone's films, but casting a perennial boychild as one of the most iconic man's man in detective lit is plain wacky.

Story is here, of various places.

#28 s.a.s. Malko

s.a.s. Malko

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

Anybody else really scratching their heads over this one? Never a big fan of Stone's films, but casting a perennial boychild as one of the most iconic man's man in detective lit is plain wacky.

Story is here, of various places.

Very disappointing. Next one is Robert Pattinson as Mike Hammer!?!

#29 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Whatever we think of the casting options so far, it's verrrry interesting to note which famous comedian once wanted to play McGee:

In 1967, author MacDonald refused permission for a television series about Travis McGee and his cases, feeling people would stop reading the novels were Travis McGee regularly on television. Comedian Dan Rowan, a friend of MacDonald's, had expressed interest in playing the role of Travis McGee, but nothing ever materialized

source: Wikipedia

#30 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

That's interesting. I knew they were friends. Now I'm tempted to pick up the book of their correspondence to see if they go into any detail on it.