Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

http://blogs.coventr...niel-craig.html

Daniel Craig and Clint Eastwood cast in Mark Millar's dream Superman film
By David Bentley on Jan 7, 10 01:05 AM

MARK MILLAR has reaffirmed his interest in reviving Superman on the big screen.

He says his dream cast would include Daniel Craig as Lex Luthor, Clint Eastwood as Pa Kent and Daniel Day-Lewis and Julianne Moore as Clark's biological parents Jor-El and Lara.

Millar is the Scottish comic book writer whose Wanted and Kick-B) titles have been adapted for the big screen, with the latter due out on April 16.

He also wrote the acclaimed miniseries Red Son (pictured right) in which Superman was instead raised in the USSR.

Millar and Kick-:tdown: director Matthew Vaughn have for some time been interested in rebooting the Superman film series and previously proposed a Lord of the Rings-style trilogy for the hero.

Speaking on his forum Millarworld, the scribe pondered the possibilities and asked fans if he should pursue his vision for a new Superman movie.

Millar (pictured below left) wrote: "Financially, it makes so much sense for us to do one of our own properties next, either Nemesis or American Jesus or whatever.

"But Matthew and I talk all the time about the notion of revamping Superman for a new generation (and YES, 30-somethings, that DOES mean an origin to explain where the hell he came from to my daughter and her pals).

"Obviously, there's some legal :tdown: to sort out but anyone who thinks Superman is gone is just plum crazy. Should we pursue this aggressively, especially given the buzz on Kick-:) is just astronomical and Matthew is being offered pretty much anything he wants to do?

"We had so much fun casting around on all this, just idle chats in the pub as we scribbled our notes. Imagine Daniel Craig as Lex Luthor, Clint Eastwood as Pa Kent, Daniel Day-Lewis and Julianne Moore as Jor-El and Lara. And the idea one of our production team had for Jimmy Olsen is just genius. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. What do YOU guys think? You wanna see the Kick-:) team REALLY go after Superman or develop something else?"

With some fans saying he should do it, and others not so keen, Millar added: "I have no doubt we'd do a great Superman movie. Matthew has stated that Bond has been revamped, as has Batman, Star Trek and all the other favourites from our childhood.

"Superman never really got that revamp so much as a finale to the Donner movies [in Bryan Singer's Superman Returns]. So he's still primed for a reboot for a new century and a new audience.

"That said, I love it too much to do something compromised. Something that means notes from lots of people who thought it was awesome to have him in bed at the end of the last movie. I dunno. Is it worth the grief? I love Superman too much to do something that wouldn't be perfect. Kick-:S was an amazing experience. It's just how I want to work now."

#2 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Millar gets his chance...and would be even less surprised if Warners goes back to JJ Abrams and asks him to go ahead with his outline for Superman. One thing is clearly clear, and that is that Bryan Singer and Brandon Routh are not coming back. Shame, really; I liked Brandon. I thought he did a great job for a first film.

I totally agree.

What? With GS? Hell, IF THAT IS POSSIBLE... B)

#3 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:20 AM

Please keep Mark Millar the hell away from Superman.

#4 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:58 AM

This dude used to write for Sonic the Comic, which I grew up reading. I remember one of his stories had an Eldorado joke in it which I had to have explained to me. Don't think much of his other work though.

#5 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:05 AM

Let me clarify: I don´t know much about Millar. But the simple fact that he is passionate about SUPERMAN gets me going. These days, SUPERMAN gets a bad rap among teens. Or they don´t know him anymore.

I loved Donner´s version. I admired and very much liked Singer´s reprise of the version.

But anybody who can get SUPERMAN back in the limelight and make it fresh and exciting and interesting to today´s audiences will be welcome by me. And Millar´s casting plans sound very cool to me. Even if they are probably impossible to realize.

#6 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

I love Superman and while I think Miller would be a terrific Superman movie writer (Red Son was superb) I dont like his idea for an epic, three movie origin story.

Im getting tired of movies these days all having to be some epic, convulated trilogy that takes years to tell the story. Just do as Nolan did with Batman and focus on making one great movie. If it works, go back and make another great movie.
And are people a little over the Superman origin by now? We've had one fantastic film about his origin and a TV show devoted to nothing but that. As well as a recent animated movie.

Just give me the Superman movie thats never been done - Superman in his prime fighting the sorts of enemies in the comics that have never been done on screen because until now the technology wasnt there to pull them off. Enough with Lex Luthor already, lets see Brainiac or Doomsday, in a real action spectacular.

#7 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

Just give me the Superman movie thats never been done - Superman in his prime fighting the sorts of enemies in the comics that have never been done on screen because until now the technology wasnt there to pull them off. Enough with Lex Luthor already, lets see Brainiac or Doomsday, in a real action spectacular.

Hear, hear!

#8 Dr.Fell

Dr.Fell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:23 PM

I think Kevin Spacey did a great job and hopefully he'll be returning.

Hear, hear!

Yeah that is true. I would actually be happy to see Brainiac,Doomsday, or Darkseid.

Edited by Dr.Fell, 08 January 2010 - 05:25 PM.

#9 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:30 PM

I always wanted to see Clint Eastwood DIRECT a movie version of Superman.

Superman a'la Sergio Leone.

The lone country boy hero who stands between us and chaos.

Edited by Stephen Spotswood, 08 January 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

Will have a real estate squeme, I wonder?

Enough with Lex Luthor already. That is played out!

#11 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

Will have a real estate squeme, I wonder?

How Lex Luthor caused 9-11?

#12 Dr.Fell

Dr.Fell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

I always wanted to see Clint Eastwood DIRECT a movie version of Superman.

Superman a'la Sergio Leone.

The lone country boy hero who stands between us and chaos.

LOL ! The last movie Eastwood would want to direct would involve Superman. He never does fantasy or comic book films. And even if he wanted to, I think it would far too brooding.

#13 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

And who would be Mr Millar's choice for Superman/Clark Kent in that reboot?

B)

#14 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:10 AM

I think I read somewhere last year he liked James Caviezel as Superman. If he bulked up a bit, I think Caviezal would be perfect.

#15 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:14 AM

Agreed. Time for some other villains.

#16 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:39 AM

I just CANNOT see Daniel Craig as Lex Luthor at all. They should bring back Kevin Spacey or really get someone else as Luthor. Having Craig as Luthor is having a good actor in the wrong role.

Edited by Syndicate, 09 January 2010 - 06:30 PM.

#17 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:46 AM

Im just CANNOT see Daniel Craig as Lex Luthor at all. They should bring back Kevin Spacey or really get someone else as Luthor. Having Craig as Luthor is having a good actor in the wrong role.

All sounds very familiar...tweak a few names and you get :

Im just CANNOT see Daniel Craig as James Bond at all. They should bring back Pierce Brosnan or really get someone else as Bond. Having Craig as Bond is having a good actor in the wrong role.

#18 Dr.Fell

Dr.Fell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:47 AM

Im just CANNOT see Daniel Craig as Lex Luthor at all. They should bring back Kevin Spacey or really get someone else as Luthor. Having Craig as Luthor is having a good actor in the wrong role.

I agree. Spacey was great, he kept the humor of Hackman but added a bit more cynicism. Parker Posey and Frank Langella were great as well.

#19 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:39 AM

Parker Posey would have been the perfect Lois Lane.

#20 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

Not as played out as origin stories though. Whatever you think of the original Donner film or this cartoon thing I must admit I only just heard of we seriously don't need another film telling Superman's origin; there are far more interesting things that could be done with the character. Probably

#21 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

i wouldnt mind lex luthor being in a new superman movie but i would not want him to be the main villain.

#22 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, I think they should use him in the way he was in later comics, as a billionaire businessman basically running Metropolis, with only Superman knowing what he really is. He should be in there, but not as the main villain.

#23 Dr.Fell

Dr.Fell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

Not as played out as origin stories though. Whatever you think of the original Donner film or this cartoon thing I must admit I only just heard of we seriously don't need another film telling Superman's origin; there are far more interesting things that could be done with the character. Probably

Yes that is what I dred about the prospect of another comic book reboot. We don't need another one, the bandwagon is full.