#1 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

http://www.dailymail...come-price.html

'If you're successful in Britain, people tend not to like you': Gemma Arterton says her looks and success come at a price

It's not easy being beautiful and talented.

Just ask Gemma Arterton.

The 23-year-old actress believes British attitudes to attractive, accomplished women need a serious overhaul.

Posted Image

According to her, we simply don't like pretty girls who do well.

'For some reason, if you're successful in Britain, people tend not to like you,' she declared.

'But if you are a successful woman, and beautiful, in Britain, you are even more disliked.'

Miss Arterton, who made her name as agent Strawberry Fields in the James Bond film Quantum Of Solace, has strong opinions on the way young actresses are regarded in Britain.

'When you put yourself in these huge popcorn movies you get out there, in the public arena, more than anyone else,' she said.

'But that also means that you're out there to be criticised more than anyone else. With Keira Knightley, she's brave to do her play [The Misanthrope].'

Miss Arterton has previously spoken of her determination not to give in to the Hollywood fashion for extraordinarily-thin female stars.

But making her name as a Bond girl meant her curvaceous looks were always going to be centre-stage.

The RADA-trained actress beat 1,500 hopefuls to win the role of Strawberry Fields.

Obviously being a woman of both beauty and ability can be a burden. But Miss Arterton, it seems, is confident she can handle the pressure.

'The minute anyone says, "Oh my God! You're so amazing!" I just have to go, "Shut up! Please!" I am normal. I have just one rule - don't believe the hype,' she told The Times.

Previously she has spoken of her dislike for the shape of women stars in Hollywood.

'I refuse to conform to this muscly, sinewy look that so many actresses seem to think is attractive. I hate it and I don't think it's very feminine.

'I dress like a woman and wear a lot of couture because it's made for real women with curves.'

#2 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:53 AM

Well. Come to my house, Gemma. I like you here. And I have wine.

Edited by Binyamin, 06 January 2010 - 04:54 AM.

#3 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:01 AM

Well she's going to be a bit tipsy leaving my house, sorry. B)

#4 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:54 AM

It must be rough being beautiful, rich and famous.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:21 AM

Typical Daily Mail pus.

#6 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:22 AM

Gemma appears to be a bit of a B).

#7 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

Belongs at Ramsgate bus station.

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

My daily struggle.

#9 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

She must envy those homeless Londoners.

#10 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

I know how she feels B)

Edited by Goodnight, 08 January 2010 - 07:42 PM.

#11 Rayliottaasbond

Rayliottaasbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

It should read "If you're a monster raving conceited c-nt in the UK, people tend not to like you"

I love a good success story personally, and most others do too. Get over yourself woman! You're not that hot... or talented.

#12 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:15 AM

B)

#13 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

B)

Sorry, Gemma can't make it. But as you have wine, I'll be around in one hour

#14 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

The 23-year-old actress believes British attitudes to attractive, accomplished women need a serious overhaul.

Hmmmm . . . interesting.

#15 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

I'd love to hang out with her once and see how people respond!

#16 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

It should read "If you're a monster raving conceited c-nt in the UK, people tend not to like you"

I just snorted my drink over my laptop.

#17 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

Gemma arterton, shut the f~*k up, youve been in a bond film love, and you dont need to be able to act to get a role in one of them darlin!!!

St Trinians 2, what a step down.:/

Nothing personal towards gemma but give it 6 more months and her acting career will sink without trace just like all the other bond girls.

"those who ignore history will most certainly live through it again"

#18 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:03 AM

St Trinians 2, what a step down.:/

Nothing personal towards gemma but give it 6 more months and her acting career will sink without trace just like all the other bond girls.

After the two big action blockbusters and the Wuthering Heights remake coming out this year? She’s already finished filming a Stephen Frears movie for release in 2011. Plus there’s her stage work. She's not disappearing anytime soon.

BTW - I took the wife to see The Legend of Fritton's Gold and quite enjoyed it.

#19 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:09 PM

http://www.dailymail...ly-average.html

Posing in suspenders and high heels, Bond girl Gemma Arterton insists...'I look really average'
She won an army of male admirers when she played Strawberry Fields in the hit 007 film Quantum Of Solace. But Gemma Arterton thinks she was ‘not hot enough’ to play a Bond girl and that she is ‘really average’.

Her fans may disagree – and these pictures of her posing in stockings, stilettos and a coat for the latest edition of GQ magazine make her look anything but plain.

The outfit is reminiscent of her chase scene through the streets of Panama with Bond actor Daniel Craig, when she wore nothing except a mac and boots. B)

Posted Image
Posted Image
But, in an interview with GQ magazine, she said: ‘In comparison to many actresses I think I’m really average. When I got the Bond film there was this big hoo-ha about me not being hot enough. I have to say, I agree. I don’t think I’m in that realm.’

She compared herself to fellow Bond girl Olga Kurylenko, who also starred in Quantum Of Solace.

‘There are some really beautiful actresses, like Olga Kurylenko, who find it difficult,’ she said.

‘It’s frustrating for her but she’s so beautiful that it’s like someone having a massive nose: you are going to take that into consideration when you’re casting her. Whereas I can change my look.’

Miss Arterton’s claim to have ordinary looks is not shared by the film industry’s casting directors.

She has starred as saucy schoolgirl Kelly in the two recent St Trinian’s movies. She also played a groupie called Desiree in The Boat That Rocked, about a pirate radio station broadcasting from the North Sea, where scenes involved distracting the DJs on ‘Sexual Saturdays’.

And she appeared as what she described as ‘totty’ in Guy Ritchie’s last movie, RocknRolla.

Miss Arterton admitted: ‘I hope people don’t see me just as a Bond girl. I hope they’ll soon see my [other] work and think differently.’

She has a major role in the forthcoming Hollywood blockbuster Prince Of Persia, based on the popular computer game series, where she plays Princess Tamina alongside leading man Jake Gyllenhaal.

She also has a leading role in a critically acclaimed low-budget British film, The Disappearance Of Alice Creed, as a kidnap victim who spends much of the time on screen either handcuffed or tied to a bed.

#20 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

I saw the first photo in "Goodnight's" thread in Bond 23 section and I didn't recognised her! Wow!

#21 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

Wow!

My thoughts exactly. She looks far from average.

#22 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:34 PM

"If you are successful in the UK, people tend to not like you"

No Gemmma, people just don't like you.

Now jump into my bed.

#23 delsavage

delsavage

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

I think she's pretty likeable from what I've seen - and incredibly hot...

Apparently you get to see a lot more of her in new film 'The Disappearance of Alice Creed', if you know what I mean B)

More info at their facebook page here: http://www.facebook....AliceCreedMovie

#24 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

The girl is smokin' red hot. She's tall, beautiful and best of all seems comfortable with herself. She doesn't look like she only eats once a week like so many film actresses.

#25 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

http://www.dailymail...udget-film.html

'It's not a pretty film. That's why I wanted to do it': Gemma Arterton on why she agreed to be handcuffed and stripped naked for gritty low-budget film.

(Extract from article)
"She's known for her sexy roles as a Bond girl and as one of the many naughty St Trinians schoolgirls.

And she plays the love interest in one of the year's most anticipated blockbusters, Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time, opposite Jake Gyllenhaal.

But next month, Gemma Arterton will be seen in an entirely new light in the low-budget, gritty drama, The Disappearance Of Alice Creed.

In the role, the 24-year-old's character is kidnapped, stripped naked, handcuffed and gagged - and the girl from Gravesend has to cry throughout.

Posted Image

'There was a bit of resistance from some people wondering if it was a good idea for me to do this film,' she tells GQ in an interview. 'it's quite violent, there's nudity in it, it's not a pretty film. But that's why I wanted to do it.'

It appears Arterton's decisions have been spurred on by not wanting to become typecast - and trying to prove she is more than just a pretty face.

She spent up to eight hours in tears for Alice Creed and there are some scenes in which she wears nothing but a bag over her head.

She said of the brutal drama by novice writer-director, J Blakeson: 'It was made for under a million in a shed on the Isle of Man. Film-making at its purest: no money, no time, but really good actors and really good script.'

But she is honest to explain that she is still keen to do the big-budget movies - Prince Of Persia, also starring Reese Witherspoon's ex Jake Gyllenhaal cost around £100m - 'to earn the money'.

Persia is due for release in May.

'There is this realistic, business side to me, and I think that it's informed my career a lot.

'You need to be known as an actress to get the really good parts, so you need to make sure you're in something that people see.

'Then hopefully you get chance to have the creativity later.'"

#26 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

So basically it's Captivity 2?

Maybe this isn't what it sounds like, but if it is isn't it a bit late to be cashing in on all the torture pørn furore?

#27 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

Here's the video to go with that GQ magazine shoot.

This isn't just hot, it's steaming. Nice curves!!!!

#28 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

http://www.hellomaga.../power-plate/1/

More on Gemma's "new' shape. Evidently she didn't embrace her old curves as much as we thought.

Also:
http://www.thesun.co...lice-Creed.html
click on link for trailer

GEMMA ARTERTON has gone from Bond to bound.

The St Trinian's actress is kidnapped by two ex-convicts in new flick The Disappearance of Alice Creed.

The film follows the men as they try to gain a huge amount of cash from the kidnapped girl's father.

In our clip, Gemma calls the police and frantically tells them she is trapped.

She says: "I need you to come and get me. I've been kidnapped. I don't have much time.

"Can't you trace the call?... You have to come get me now, the other man is coming back and he'll kill me."

The Disappearance of Alice Creed hits screens on April 30.

#29 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

Posted Image

Just because. B)