18 replies to this topic

#1 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

I'm sure most of you have read the CR script, and if you look into the parkor sequence closely, you will see missing dialogue such as,

"Learn to count"
"You don't work for us anymore, Get out" "Just hide me!"
""This is the Nambutu Embassy! You can't be here." "I'm not"
""Whats your name, huh? I'm never there when they die. I don't get to know names. I want to know who died today"
Bond replies, "The names Bond. What's yours?"
The runner replies "Mollaka"
Bond replies "See? You already had your answer"

Would you have liked this dialogue included?

Thoughts?

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

It is all surplus to requirement. I've always considered the scene to be better off without it. The script polish did its job.

#3 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:32 PM

No; it's terrible dialogue, and it would have stopped the whole sequence in its tracks.

#4 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

B)

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:50 AM

B)

I think Bond was responding to Mollaka's question stating that he wanted to know who would be the one dying.

#6 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:49 AM

"Learn to count" would have been fine, or wasn't it rumored to be a Dr.No-referencing "You've had your ten" at one point? In fact I think it's a bit awkward that nobody says anything when they're facing each other on top of the crane.

#7 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:54 AM

"You don't work for us anymore, Get out" "Just hide me!" is the only thing that would work for me. It provides a bit more explanation, but it's obvious in the first place that Mollaka is seeking sanctuary in the embassy so it certainly wasn't needed and I can see why it didn't make the final cut.

#8 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

"You don't work for us anymore, Get out" "Just hide me!" is the only thing that would work for me. It provides a bit more explanation, but it's obvious in the first place that Mollaka is seeking sanctuary in the embassy so it certainly wasn't needed and I can see why it didn't make the final cut.

I thought this was said - though in French, just before Bond storms in and smacks buddy's head off the bust.

#9 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:53 AM

The film is better without this discourse. It’s more natural and lets the scene play out. And attempts at humour in the heat of battle can often fall flat, so it’s best not to go there.

#10 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:11 AM

I'm not crazy about those line either. Better off the way it stands now.

#11 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:46 AM

Past participle for "withdraw" is "withdrawn".

#12 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:58 AM

Withdrawn in this case.

#13 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

I'm glad it wasn't in the parkour sequence, but I wouldn't mind this exchange

"Whats your name, huh? I'm never there when they die. I don't get to know names. I want to know who died today"

being used for a villain confrontation scene in a future Bond film.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

I'm sure most of you have read the CR script, and if you look into the parkor sequence closely, you will see missing dialogue such as,

"Learn to count"
"You don't work for us anymore, Get out" "Just hide me!"
""This is the Nambutu Embassy! You can't be here." "I'm not"
""Whats your name, huh? I'm never there when they die. I don't get to know names. I want to know who died today"

Thoughts?

That's some awful dialogue. Unnecessary, on-the-nose exposition mixed with barely comprehensible and unfunny jokes. But all scripts have 'em, particularly in early drafts. Goes to show that the script editor is just as important as the writer.

#15 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

The movie works far better without the dialogue in it. Everything is told visually without recourse to useless verbiage. We don't need Bond to tell us that he counted Mollaka's bullets; his body language in the scene tells us he's not afraid of being shot. When Mollaka throws his gun at him, Bond snatches it out of the air and whips back at his head; this tells us more about our hero than any of that dialogue would have.

It's all show and not tell.

A good comparison for the same idea is comics. Back in the 1960s, comics had a tendency to have a picture... and also have a caption telling you the same information as in the picture. Daredevil would be fighting a villain say, and also keep up a running dialogue about what his actions. It was okay for the time, because nobody knew any better.

Then in the 1980's Frank Miller started his run on Daredevil. One of the first things he did is get rid of all that nonsense. (Who talks while they're fighting?) Told as much of the story visually as he could. This had the effect of making the violence in the book carry far more impact.

One of the things I love about the Daniel Craig era is that the filmmakers are not afraid of losing the audience's interest. They're okay with letting Bond be quiet. It makes the wit he does show on occasion a real treat. Of course it helps that they have Craig in the role. He's capable of expressing tons without saying a word.

#16 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

The movie works far better without the dialogue in it. Everything is told visually without recourse to useless verbiage. We don't need Bond to tell us that he counted Mollaka's bullets; his body language in the scene tells us he's not afraid of being shot. When Mollaka throws his gun at him, Bond snatches it out of the air and whips back at his head; this tells us more about our hero than any of that dialogue would have.

It's all show and not tell.

Pretty much the opposite MO of Forster.

#17 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

Really? I don't remember QUANTUM OF SOLACE having lots of useless dialogue during fight scenes

#18 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

Really? I don't remember QUANTUM OF SOLACE having lots of useless dialogue during fight scenes

I wasn't talking about fight scenes, mainly his general bare-bones approach to telling a story. Less is more in other words. Completely inappropriate for Bond.

#19 Monkeyfoahead

Monkeyfoahead

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1164 posts
  • Location:A hollowed-out volcano, a submarine, and a moon base.

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:27 AM

I like the polished version much more than one with dialogue. If it had the lines, it would be like, dare I say it? A Brosnan film.