51 replies to this topic

#31 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

Don't get me wrong, Messervy. I'm not trying to shoot down your ideas. Maserati is a very sexy marque...but sometimes we need to think of elements like 'British' OR 'Fleming' OR 'James Bond Tradition', etc.

I'd trade my old M3 for a Quattroporte', though. Servicing the thing might be a nightmare, however...not to mention driving in snow stroms (a three or four times a year proposition in my part of the planet).

#32 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

Don't get me wrong, Messervy. I'm not trying to shoot down your ideas. Maserati is a very sexy marque...but sometimes we need to think of elements like 'British' OR 'Fleming' OR 'James Bond Tradition', etc.

Yes, you're right.

So, all in all, here's my personal wish-list:
-cars: Bond drives his Aston martin DB5 (after all, he won it in CR !) / the villain is chauffeur-driven in a Maserati Quattroporte.
-watches: Bond has a Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor GMT / the villain has a Breguet Classique.
-smoke: Bond smokes Montecristo cigars / the villain smokes a pipe.
-drinks: Bond drinks Bollinger Vieilles Vignes Françaises / the villain drinks Roederer Cristal.
-suits: Bond wears Dunhill / the villain wears suits designed especially for him (e.g, Dr No & Hugo Drax).

-

#33 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

Someone suggested Maserati, I think that's a good idea. It's not too Italian for Bond, otherwise BMW's would have been too German. Plus if Bond enjoys good life and class he'll sure appreciate Italy, wouldn't he?

#34 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

Someone suggested Maserati, I think that's a good idea. It's not too Italian for Bond, otherwise BMW's would have been too German. Plus if Bond enjoys good life and class he'll sure appreciate Italy, wouldn't he?

BMW's were too German for Bond, at least IMHO.

I prefer to see Bond in cars with (at least some) British heritage.

#35 Jack Rapace

Jack Rapace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

Bond is an ex-SBS according to his dossier. I think a Praetorian SAS watch could be a good choice.

http://www.milwatche...s/PR.SAS.NT.jpg

The car doesn't matter for me, but the Walther PPk isn't a good and serious choice for Craig's James Bond IMO.

#36 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

I plead guilty.

This was indeed my point.
Plus, we've seen quite a lot of Italy in the last 2 movies, so this would make sense.

Hence my suggestion that Bond should drive his "personal" DB5 and then be given the Maserati (Gran Turismo S, for instance) for his job. A bit like in TND, where Bond arrives at headquarters with the DB5 and is given the (disastrous) BMW afterwards.

#37 Jack Rapace

Jack Rapace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

Maserati ? Like Sanchez's car ?...Like a mafioso ? No thanks !

#38 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

I plead guilty.

Plus, we've seen quite a lot of Italy in the last 2 movies, so this would make sense.

Hence my suggestion that Bond should drive his "personal" DB5 and then be given the Maserati (Gran Turismo S, for instance) for his job. A bit like in TND, where Bond arrives at headquarters with the DB5 and is given the (disastrous) BMW afterwards.

Yes but Bond was impersonating a banker in Hamburg...so that BMW 750i made complete sense for his cover in that country.

I doubt the next Bond film will go back to Italy...they usually don't tend to over do locations three movies in a row.

So, if Bond is under cover in Italy - or near there - and it 'fits' his cover, then Maserati might make sense.

Again, it all depends on things like context, the plot, etc.

Cheers.

B)

#39 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

Bond smokes Montecristo cigars

Fleming's Bond rarely smoked cigars. He actually disliked them.

#40 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Bond smokes Montecristo cigars

Fleming's Bond rarely smoked cigars. He actually disliked them.

I know, and it does fit the novels indded.
But as far as the movies are concerned, I think a return to Connery-style drinks and Moore-style cigars would be a nice touch.

#41 Jack Rapace

Jack Rapace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

I plead guilty.

Yes but Bond was impersonating a banker in Hamburg...so that BMW 750i made complete sense for his cover in that country.

I doubt the next Bond film will go back to Italy...they usually don't tend to over do locations three movies in a row.

So, if Bond is under cover in Italy - or near there - and it 'fits' his cover, then Maserati might make sense.

Again, it all depends on things like context, the plot, etc.

Cheers.

B)

For a cover you need more than a car. Brosnan looks like a banker. Craig doesn't look like a banker...Craig in a Maserati...why not in a Porsche if he goes to Berlin ! In CR the Ford was a good idea. In TLD the Audi was perfect. Bond needs to be discret. This Bond, played by Craig has a problem : he's a spy and looks like what he is : a commando ! He hasen't plenty of choices for his covers...

Edited by Jack Rapace, 27 January 2010 - 05:34 PM.

#42 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

In CR the Ford was a good idea.

Really? I think putting Craig in a Ford Mondeo was a terrible choice. The whole scene looked like it was ripped from an advert, featuring your middle aged dad pretending to be James Bond.

#43 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

The Astons and Lotuses worked in the context of the more outlandish Connery/Moore films, but if they're going to continue down the road of gritty, hand-held, realism with Craig, he really shouldn't be driving a car that costs more than most people's homes.

I'd kind of like to see an updated version of the FYEO chase, where Craig has an inferior vehicle and has to use his wits and skills in order to survive.

Edited by Rufus Ffolkes, 27 January 2010 - 05:55 PM.

#44 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

The Astons and Lotuses worked in the context of the more outlandish Connery/Moore films, but if they're going to continue down the road of gritty, hand-held, realism with Craig, he really shouldn't be driving a car that costs more than most people's homes.

Who says they're going to continue with this approach, after the critical reception of QOS?

#45 Jack Rapace

Jack Rapace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

but if they're going to continue down the road of gritty, hand-held, realism with Craig, he really shouldn't be driving a car that costs more than most people's homes.

Agree. It'll be a clever choice...Bentley was a choice for the books.

#46 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:00 AM

Really? I think putting Craig in a Ford Mondeo was a terrible choice. The whole scene looked like it was ripped from an advert, featuring your middle aged dad pretending to be James Bond.

So very true.
It was completely out of tune.

#47 Jack Rapace

Jack Rapace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

So very true.
It was completely out of tune.

That's an argument indeed !

#48 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

I'd kind of like to see an updated version of the FYEO chase, where Craig has an inferior vehicle and has to use his wits and skills in order to survive.

The Bourne Identity - the best of the three films - already ripped off Eyes Only's idea.

People are so pathetic that if Bond 23 went you're route, these pathetic people would be jumping up and down saying "A ha! Bond ripped off Bourne!"

Pathetic really.

B)

Who says they're going to continue with this approach, after the critical reception of QOS?

LOL

Q0S had largely positive reviews and it's box office was similar to CR after taking account the Pound's decline reducing the UK's box office numbers in US $ terms.

Regardless, didn't Craig already say that Bond 23 would be "more fun"?

#49 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

I get your point, but I would not agree. I think Bond has always been about escapism, be it through exotic locations, extraordinary villains' lairs, gorgeous women, fancy suits or high-class cars. So I would not favour moving too far away from that trend. Hence the view that having Bond drive a Ford was misplaced (whereas driving an Audi in TLD was ok, since it's a stylish up-market brand).

My feeling is that there shouldn't be too much down-to-earth realism. Which is not to say it couldn't be gritty; one does not exclude the other. See TLD for instance, which in my opinion is one of the best Bond movies, with a real good balance between "realism" and "larger than life Bond".

I'm a great fan of realistic spy fiction, the likes of Le Carré novels or the 1994 french movie "Les patriotes". I just don't think it suits Bond (the movie-Bond, that is).

#50 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

but if they're going to continue down the road of gritty, hand-held, realism with Craig, he really shouldn't be driving a car that costs more than most people's homes.

Agree. It'll be a clever choice...Bentley was a choice for the books.

And therefore should be a choice for the films, especially Craig's "Fleming-esque" films.

If that's not "gritty" enough, then go watch Bourne instead.

Q0S had largely positive reviews

Oh really? I must have missed them.

B)

#51 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Q0S had more positive reviews than negative ones. "Largely" means "greater than half".

Quantitatively speaking, 2/3rds of Quantum's reviews were positive.

#52 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

I remember Quantum of Solace having LOADS of negative reviews. CBn was in a state of panic due to the lack of positive reviews on the film.

Most of the reviewers brought up the exact same problems as well.