16 replies to this topic

#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 04:23 PM

I really hope the that the finished game has better AI than that of what I have experienced. I was standing in front of a guard with a gun, and he did nothing. Aswell as that, if I shoot in front of them, or even kill someone next to another guard, they don't even flinch :)

The graphics are absolutely awesome - the water reflections are just amazing.

#2 newest007

newest007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 04:46 PM

So far;
Good graphics
Questionable AI
Bad voice acting (oarticularly Bond)
Choppy at higher resolutions (could be me and it is a demo)

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:35 PM

Nope, I've experienced it being choppy at a higher res...well, 1024 x 768 on a 19" anyway...

I'm a bit p'eed with that fact you have to shoot these nutters like 5 or 7 times before they die...

#4 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:35 PM

...also - all the loading it seems to do.

#5 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 07:07 PM

hmmmmm.. I'm beginning to wonder if i should download this at all. I do have some errands to run today.

Rich

#6 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 08:07 PM

Just completed the demo - aswell as drawing a map for a walkthrough on the site - it's great now I've been playing it for a bit...can't wait for the full game :) Rich, do download it...:)

It's ashame that they couldn't show case the gadgets more in the level they chose for the demo :) I really wanna play with the Phone Grappler :)

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 11:02 PM

Well, we all know what I'll compare it to; and since I'm not spending 13 hours downloading the damned thing, would someone please compare it to NOLF2? :)

#8 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 01:00 AM

I posted some reactions on the other thread but I'll go into more detail too.

At first I thought I was just jaded by the NOLF2 AI but it seems it really is as questionable as I thought. Not too much of an issue, just a little annoying. (In NOLF2, I'd sneak past some guards and they'd find my footprints and look for me. In NF, I can do an interperative dance in front of one and not alert them). The lack of animations on the guards is a bit annoying (they don't even flinch).

The graphics are somewhere between that of a Q3 engine game and NOLF2. NOLF2 has a bit more detail, but NF comes pretty close. The people that say it looks outdated and too HL haven't played it. Gearbox has said that there's as much HL in it as there was Quake in HL and I tend to believe them. The water effects are much like those of NOLF2, which was a nice surprise. The character models are nicely detailed and it just doesn't make sense why they went with FMV instead of in-game cutscenes.

The controls are a bit akward and the lack of a turn command bothers me but it's not hard to get used to (or maybe I should just find a control scheme to use besides the Tomb Raider defaults I've been using for 5 years). The load times aren't as good as RTCW, but they are FAR better than those of NOLF2 (the game's major flaw...load times can run into the minutes for some people and nobody quite knows why).

Overall, well worth the download.

It seems that the gaming community has been SLAMMING it unmercifully though. :)

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 07:55 AM

You know what I think of the demo? I think it's way too big to download :) Sorry to hear some negative reviews though.

#10 newest007

newest007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 01:19 PM

I'm still getting choppiness at the higher res on a P4 1.5Ghz with a 64MB Nvidia Card. Maybe I need a driver update.

I'm really hating the AI but the rest of the game is good and it IS Bond. I like the knock-off P99 but I'm a guy who likes pistols-only games of Rogue Spear.

Dave makes a very valid point that shooting someone 5 or 6 times for a kill is annoying. In the Redstorm games, you get 2 hits tops for a kill and headshots or unarmored chest shots are automatic kills. Are the kill shots any different on the higher difficulty level? I've only played Operative.

I held Bond underwater to see if they made him Aquaman and he did drown so they remembered some realism.

#11 MIKER6

MIKER6

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 10:16 PM

Omg what is wrong with you people..............this game is the biggest fraud in the history of gaming, "call this a Game"?
The A1 is completly hopeless, the bullet dynamics are the worst i have ever seen, 5 6 7 8 shots to the head before the enemy go down? huh!.......i wont go on, as i have played the demo, thank god i didnt pay for this piece of ****, and now deleted from my hard drive, good bye and good riddance to basically a very badly designed game...........whoever buys this **** .............u need your head testing!

#12 FROST

FROST

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 01:04 AM

I really wanted to like this game after having played Goldeneye on the N64 long ago. Don't worry I'm not going to compare the two.

I don't know if it's just me, but I've had 3 crashes on my WIN2K system. Other full titles and even demos seem fine, but this one takes the cake for causing me absolute frustration. I've put off playing this game and will probably browse around to see if others are in the same situation, as I; and maybe find a possible solution.

Beyond technical problems, the moments I've been able to get through, the A.I. is terrible (as everyone has already mentioned), major clipping problems, load times is a bit too long, and it takes forever to kill the enemy. Love the punching!

I'm hoping they incorrectly labeled this a demo rather than a beta. If it's a beta, I can forgive. If demo, than some major things better be corrected......or no money to you.

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 02:14 AM

It seems it's a beta as EA are still saying the demo has not been released.

#14 FROST

FROST

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 04:17 AM

Great to hear it's a beta rather than demo....there's still hope. :)

#15 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 08:57 PM

After reading another post about the demo on 30th will be the same as this one is worrying. Maybe they just mean the level, because they really need to sort some things out.

1 - I don't think the AI will be bad, just the they need to sort out where the bullets go. For instance, shoot a guy 3 times with the P99 and he's dead. Stand right in front of him and shoot him with a shotgun and he won't even move. Maybe the bullets are coded properly yet.

2 - Need to change the voice of Bond. I hear the console versions have very good PB impersonators, maybe they have left the beta version voice in for the testing?

3 - Why couldn't they leave cut-scenes as in-game footage - not FMV? It looks tacky nowadays, and always really breaks up the gameplay (for instance when you save the girl in the baths).

4 - Need to cut down on the loading times. Why must it load each section of the level independently? It is so annoying when you walk from one point to another, straight into another. It loads 2 or three times in a matter of seconds gameplay.

5 - The graphics are choppy, all resolutions and settings - I have a P4 1.8ghz with 512mb RAM so it should work fine. Latest drivers too.

6 - The animations of the baddies are very good, watch through a snipers lens when they are walking about. But when you shoot them they don't react like in GoldenEye. Shoot their arm, and they bend over, shoot their leg, the bend over. Shoot the head, they clutch their chest. Can't they program points on the body? They did these effects over 6 years ago, why not now?

7 - More interaction with all the scenery. Some things move, while others don't even leave a bullet hole. Have you seen that room with the lights off and all the computer gear? Is that relevant in 00 agent mode or something? All bullets marks are the same (and are just black marks). Shouldn't wood sizzle etc like in TWINE?

All in all, quite impressed. Some graphics are bad, made me feel very motion sickness. The bullets should be sorted. Didn't really make me want to play the level again, but hopefully when things are sorted it will.

#16 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 02:30 AM

This is a post I made on the NOLF2 forums, but it's just a wishlist that could be applied to NF, so here it goes:

Realism in AI reactions:

-Unless the scenario calls for it, I wish the guards wouldn't always shoot first and ask questions later. I know that films like Moonraker and The Man with the Golden Gun made jokes, but no one is supposed to know Bond until he meets the bad guy.

-When the guards recognise you as an intruder, they ought to just put you in jail, or outside whatever they are guarding (lair/base)

-Bullets in the torso ought to cause the guards to perhaps fire off a round or two, then topple over unconscious.

-Going along with my 'punching/chopping/grabbing guards and throwing them into walls/down stairs' idea (in my 'What do you want in NF' thread), the guards should (if unaware at the beggining of the fight) get knocked unconscious with one blow.
If they are aware, a brief two-second daze will suffice. However, if you take an unconscious guard and beat him up some-more, he should die.

-Of course I want guards to fight back unarmed, and I don't want 100 of them in a level because each one is so easy to kill. Quality rather than quantity.

-The unconscious guard ought to be asleep for ten minutes, or so.

All the above may seem to make the game super-easy, but I haven't mentioned Bond's reactions yet:

-Bond, obviously, has to have the same reactions. But you're now saying 'I don't want to fail because of one bullet.'
Don't worry: when he topples over uncoscious from a bullet, this won't make the game frustrating, it will actually add a whole new scenario:

-The guards will take your body to a prison for interrogation, or perhpas transport you to the villain's lair where he can leave you in an over-elaborate death-trap.

-Bond will have to escape from jail, or the death trap if he waits long enough. Therefore, one might save themselves some time infiltrating a base if they get shot and are transported to the lair!

That last bit follows with my ideal of a rather non-linear Bond game where one can shoot Goldfinger while he is cheating in Miami, or beat up Blofeld as he discusses heraldry with you.

And finally: I want to be able to use a gold brick as a weapon in the Ft Knox level!

#17 SWZSSR4000

SWZSSR4000

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:49 PM

I think it's good, kinda got hard in a little parts. I got no errors on my computer expect sometimes when somebody is about to die, the game stops for a sec. It's really annoying, but it doesn't happen much.