#1 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...i_ge/us_gm_saab

Saab, Bond's vehicle of choice during the early John Gardner books is going to be a brand of the past.

#2 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

It's a shame really. Although fans of the brand argue the long goodbye of Saab really began with GM's first involvement back as early as 1990. Since then the firm had to face an increasingly demanding market situation with every year, ultimately leading to this bitter end.

#3 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

Terrible, terrible shame.

GM seems to have handled itself very poorly. I'm not at all happy about their discontinuing the Pontiac line either.

#4 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:15 PM

It's a shame really. Although fans of the brand argue the long goodbye of Saab really began with GM's first involvement back as early as 1990. Since then the firm had to face an increasingly demanding market situation with every year, ultimately leading to this bitter end.

And fans of Ian Fleming's James Bond reckon he should never have been near a Saab in the first place.

Hell, my mum used to drive one in the early '80s!

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

And I bet your mom was hot in the '80s. :tdown:

B)ing GM ruined Saab.

1983 Saab 900 Turbo. It will always be my favorite car. I still have dreams about it.

Attached Files

#6 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

And fans of Ian Fleming's James Bond reckon he should never have been near a Saab in the first place.

LOL!

Well, the Saab was always a debatable choice. But I'm actually not sure if Fleming might not have been impressed by the amount of new technology the Gardner Saab sported. After all it was called the thinking man's Porsche in some circles.
And your mom didn't drive the souped-up version with tear-gas, bullet-proof tyres and Ruger under the dashboard, I trust? B)

#7 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

And I bet your mom was hot in the '80s. :tdown:

B)ing GM ruined Saab.

1983 Saab 900 Turbo. It will always be my favorite car. I still have dreams about it.

Yup, Zen, that's the one!

I was 16 when JB jumped into one in LR thanks to Gardner. 12 months later I drove one regularly on loan (thanks M & D).

James Bond should NOT drive a car that's accessible to 17 year old kids!

#8 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

Actually, it goes to show I ought to get around to reading some of the Post-Fleming material... why, were it not for this topic I'd never have known Bond was in any way associated with Saab!

Well, that is to say until I eventually (and inevitably) got around to reading Gardner's books. B)

#9 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

Actually, it goes to show I ought to get around to reading some of the Post-Fleming material... why, were it not for this topic I'd never have known Bond was in any way associated with Saab!

Well, that is to say until I eventually (and inevitably) got around to reading Gardner's books. B)

We actually have the 'definitive' history of the Sillver Beast here. Might spur your interest in the first few Gardners.

#10 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

We actually have the 'definitive' history of the Sillver Beast here. Might spur your interest in the first few Gardners.

Ah, sincerely obliged!

I shall certainly have to give that (and the Gardner novels) a read!

#11 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:27 AM

B) :tdown:

I wanted my first car to be a Saab 9-3 (the 900's successor)... :tdown:

#12 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:40 AM

B) :tdown:

I wanted my first car to be a Saab 9-3 (the 900's successor)... :tdown:

Well, take heart! You may be able to find one used... and really, presuming it was well taken care of, there's nothing wrong with that (though I understand the desire for a new one).

All the same, this news is terribly disappointing indeed.

#13 Major D.Smythe

Major D.Smythe

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

Yes, I heard about this yesterday. Rather sad, since they've made some good cars:

900 (1978-1993)
900 (1994-1998)
9-3 (1998-2002)
9000 (1985-1992)
9000 (1992-1998)
9-5 (1997-2009)

I don't like the look on the 9-5 Mk 2 due in 2010.

#14 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Well, that 9-5 was to be their first self-designed project since the takeover by GM and should have brought the brand back on track. As it is I doubt that new version will ever see production.

#15 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

Looks like Saab lives to die another day:

http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/8481621.stm

#16 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

John Gardner should have got brownie points for coming up with the Saab. A Bond car readers could actually drive. B) I can say I have been in a Saab. The same cant be said for a Bentley or Aston.

#17 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:33 AM

Recently, I had the opportunity to observe a 1970s vintage SAAB (not sure of the model but one of the 900's close predecessors) in the Stafford Springs rallycross. It did very well, from I could see, against newer and more powerful all wheel drive Subarus and Mitsubishis. If that is any indication of the sporting capabilities of the 900, then Gardner made a very sound choice, even though I concede that I loathe front wheel drive cars in general.