19 replies to this topic

#1 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:38 PM

I am quite the literary Bond fan and have read through all the Fleming's. I then moved on to Kingsley Amis, finding myself quite surprised at how easily I located a top notch, new paperback edition of the book on Ebay. I've become my search for the Gardner's, but haven't been quite as lucky. I skipped past him to Benson, and was able to purchase all those with ease. As I still wish to read Gardner's tales, for better or worse, I was wondering if any one here has had luck finding paperback editions of his novels. I should include that while I've actually found some, there are usually the notorious 'No Image Available' so I'm a bit worried I'm only going to find a battered old copy with torn cover and missing pages. As there haven't been any reprints for some time, I realize a used edition is more likely what I'll find, but I don't want one that has been through hell and back. Thanks!

By the way, this is my first post having only stumbled upon the site just the other day. It's top notch if I say so myself and the posts I've read have not only been interesting, but also, quite entertaining. Take care all.

#2 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

I would try abebooks.com and .co.uk, depending on your location.

Not sure if they have images but these are all booksellers so the descriptions are well documented.

Good luck.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

Welcome dlb007. Just plug "Gardner" + "James Bond" into eBay and you find a whole slew of them, with pics. UK editions are tricky and expensive, but US hardcovers and paperbacks are plentiful and cheap. You can also usually find some in used bookstores. Also, www.bookfinder.com does a search of all the various online book search engines.

#4 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the quick and incredibly helpful responses. Wow, if this isn't proof that I'm not cut out for the spy game I don't know what is. Thanks again everyone.

#5 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the quick and incredibly helpful responses. Wow, if this isn't proof that I'm not cut out for the spy game I don't know what is. Thanks again everyone.

#6 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

eBay, Half.com, and my local used book store are my sources for cheap Gardner paperbacks.

#7 zerominus

zerominus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

While I've actually found some, there are usually the notorious 'No Image Available' so I'm a bit worried I'm only going to find a battered old copy with torn cover and missing pages.

Has anyone purchased one of these 'no image available' copies and been pleasantly surprised by the condition, or are they pretty tatty as dlb007 suggests may be the case?

#8 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

While I've actually found some, there are usually the notorious 'No Image Available' so I'm a bit worried I'm only going to find a battered old copy with torn cover and missing pages.

Has anyone purchased one of these 'no image available' copies and been pleasantly surprised by the condition, or are they pretty tatty as dlb007 suggests may be the case?

'No Image Available' usually means you're getting a piece of B) unless you're not a collector and don't care about condition.

#9 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

I was finally able to get over to one of the used bookstores in town. Right off the bat I was able to find 7 of the Gardner novels, all of which were in pretty good shape. I even found Licence to Kill, which I hear is hard to come by. There did not have Amis (righting as Markham) or the Benson's, but I'm planning to check by there again and maybe another store and see what they have.

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

I was thinking about this... With the lull in the literary Bond at the moment, this would be a great time to reissue the Gardner books. I'd love to see fresh new editions. Might even give them all a re-read.

#11 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

I was thinking about this... With the lull in the literary Bond at the moment, this would be a great time to reissue the Gardner books. I'd love to see fresh new editions. Might even give them all a re-read.

I agree, after the terrific Fleming re-issues, it would be nice to see something similar done with the Gardner books; I liked a lot of the Gardner books and I think "Icebreaker" was the best Non Fleming Bond book out there...

#12 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

How come Raymond Benson's Bond books have been re-released in the Union Trilogy and Choice of Weapons by Pegasus Books? Whats the deal with Pegasus Books and IFP?

Dont see why they cant do somthing like this for John Gardners books? Such a shame.

#13 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

John Gardner re-prints are being worked on at the moment (not sure what stage its at), so fingers crossed somthing will come of it in the future. B)

#14 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

John Gardner re-prints are being worked on at the moment (not sure what stage its at), so fingers crossed somthing will come of it in the future. B)

Did somebody give you some inside information?

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Really? How do you know this, Dan?

#16 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

I got a reply to my email to the http://www.john-gardner.com. Not sure what stage its at as I said, but I gather he gets plenty of emails asking when or if his Fathers books are ever going to be back in print. He said he is working on it, so I have my fingers crossed for him and us. It gives us a little hope, and wouldnt it be nice to be able to walk in any bookshop and pick one up and not have to source it of eBay etc.

#17 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

Excellent. Thank you, Dan Lighter. Of course, "working on it" can mean anything, but here's hoping.

#18 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

Agreed, could mean anything, but its a glimer.

#19 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:10 AM

I was finally able to get over to one of the used bookstores in town. Right off the bat I was able to find 7 of the Gardner novels, all of which were in pretty good shape. I even found Licence to Kill, which I hear is hard to come by. There did not have Amis (righting as Markham) or the Benson's, but I'm planning to check by there again and maybe another store and see what they have.

Do you have a copy of all the Gardners now?

#20 dlb007

dlb007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:46 AM

Yes, I finally found them all and just finished Cold Fall a few weeks ago. Prior to that I found Colonel Sun and read that, and then I found the two Woods' novelizations and all the Benson's as well. I'm doing some non-Bond reading for the moment and then jumping back in.