This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

SilverFin; Reviews & Ratings

3 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate 'SilverFin'?

How do you rate 'SilverFin'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:40 PM

Posted Image

This thread is intended for reviews and ratings of SilverFin by members of the The Blades Library Book Club here. Be sure to add your review if you do vote in the poll!

The Blades Library Book Club will be reading SilverFin from:
15 December 2009 - 15 February 2010

#2 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

SilverFin is the only "Young Bond" book I have read, and I have been a bit disappointed by it. Although, I've heard this is not an uncommon opinion even among the fans of the Young Bond series, so I don't rule out reading other YB entries by C. Higson.
It's not a bad book, mind you, just more suitable for children than grown up people. Also, I must admit that to me the Bond universe is totally incompatible with the involvment of children, so I do have problems with the very idea of Young Bond, and therefore I am certainly not the kindest of judges here.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:37 AM

SilverFin is the only "Young Bond" book I have read, and I have been a bit disappointed by it. Although, I've heard this is not an uncommon opinion even among the fans of the Young Bond series, so I don't rule out reading other YB entries by C. Higson.
It's not a bad book, mind you, just more suitable for children than grown up people. Also, I must admit that to me the Bond universe is totally incompatible with the involvment of children, so I do have problems with the very idea of Young Bond, and therefore I am certainly not the kindest of judges here.

Yes, you'll definitely have to give Blood Fever a shot, MkB. I remember being generally pleased (but by no means blown away) with SilverFin after completing it, but Higson really kicks things into high gear for his next two Young Bond novels. Monumental improvements and definite standouts in the literary 007 canon.

#4 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:12 AM

I didn't like the idea of kid-Bond so I gave this a miss . The reviews were good but not good enough to change my mind. Then the Blood Fever reviews came in(most important to me were those on this site) and I decided I had to give these books a go so I got Silverfin and Blood Fever.
Reading Silverfin I kept seeing it as a cartoon. The images I got were of a childrens animated film,particularly the way the villains were written. I also felt the book owed a lot to Harry Potter, especially the first half. I wonder if these books would exist if it wasn't for the success of the Rowling series?
A good book that always held my interest, I read it in a couple of days . Vivid descriptions of Scotland,an interesting companion for James and I liked his aunt and uncle. The book never does what I feared it would i.e. cheapen the Fleming Bond. It was always respectful. I was reading about James Bond.
Very much a childrens book but also one that adults can enjoy. Worth reading whatever your age, but it was with the next book when we got the finest Bond novel since Fleming.