5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

So... here it is, folks; the 46th anniversary of that fateful day in Dallas, Texas. For those of you who were alive at the time, could you come out of the woodwork and share your stories?

I, myself, was not there personally, but I recognize that it had an enormous effect on history over these forty-plus years; what do you make of it all? I'd like to hear your opinions on this matter.

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

Happy 7th Anniversary to Die Another Day. B)

#3 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

I was in high school. It was about 2:00 when the president of our student council came on the public address system to announce that President Kennedy had been shot on a trip to Dallas. Everyone was confused, not understanding exactly what had occurred or what the situation was. The guy was back on the P.A. about ten minutes later to announce that the President had died. We were all stunned. It took a few minutes to realize that Lyndon Johnson was now President. We still didn't understand how the crime had been committed or what was going to happen next. While I was walking home, I had some sense that everything was going to change, but I wasn't sure how. The first thing that I saw on getting home was a recent newspaper with the headline "Kennedy Off Today On A Texas Tour."

That weekend, our family, like just about everyone, was glued to our TV. I was watching when Ruby shot Oswald, but the camera angle was such, and it happened so fast, that I didn't really see what had occurred. There was just a flurry of motion, and then Oswald was shown writhing on the ground.

Everyone was off work and school on Monday for the funeral. Anyone alive back then will never forget the cadence of the muffled drums as the procession moved from the Capitol, to the cathedral, to Arlington National Cemetery.

The following days were still shrouded in uncertainty. A lot of things seemed to happen on a nationwide basis. Many, many public and private locales were renamed in honor of President Kennedy, and our school, like many other institutions, collected money for the widow of Officer Tippett, whom Oswald had shot. The more fundamental changes that were to occur in American society were slower to be appreciated, but, looking back, it's possible to appreciate just what a watershed this day in history was.

#4 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

Not alive then but whenever I see the motorcade film, leaves me speechless and numb.

Very few things do that to me.

Not going to get into the endless theories etc., but one thing sticks in my mind - Jackie clambering to the back of the limo seemingly wanting to get out, but afterwards known to be actually retrieving JFK's piece of skull to compress back onto his head.

How you can find words to describe that?

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

Happy 7th Anniversary to Die Another Day. :tdown:

Thanks for diminishing the seriousness of this thread with that comment. B)

#6 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

Happy 7th Anniversary to Die Another Day. :tdown:

Thanks for diminishing the seriousness of this thread with that comment. B)

Hmm? I thought this thread was to discuss the shocking tragedy that shook the world, i.e. the release of Die Another Day!