#31 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

Oh, great B)

Isn't it enough that they recently started to put spam into signatures and personal statements (don't know how much of these I deleted in the lat few weeks), now this...

There seems to be some kind of new spam wave coming up. All handmade quality spam, I can assure you, as a clever trick in the registering system keeps spambots away (more or less).

A regular spam thread is usually spotted and eliminated quickly by the team. But one of the recent new methods is to just quote a random post in a thread and edit a spam link into it. Doesn't look like spam at a first glance and might go unnoticed by the team. If you discover one of those, please report the respective post(s).

Also, the above mentioned spam links in signatures and/or personal statements. If you discover one of those, please report. The tricky thing about this: they usually just place their links into their profile but never post. They don't even want to click anyone on it, they just want another hidden link somewhere in he web in order to get a better Google ranking.

Please do not post a reply to spam posts. If we see a member 'garglkak_0815' as last poster in a four year old thread, it smells of spam like a can of Surströmming even from the 'Today's Posts' list. But if, say, Loomis decides to post a fun reply to it like "This is spam and we all know it", it may go unnoticed.

This spam by PM thing is something he team can't control. All we can do is deal with those 'members' when you report them. Hope this isn't just the beginning.

#32 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:03 PM

I just put her in my block list after this totally useless message. I hope this will stop her from doing it again.

#33 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:36 PM

I just put her in my block list after this totally useless message. I hope this will stop her from doing it again.

No need to. She won't be able to do anything on these forums any more.

The funeral was at sea.

#34 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

I love how Catherine has made all of the old members, who haven't visited since around 2006, return. B)

#35 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

No need to. She won't be able to do anything on these forums any more.

The funeral was at sea.

Glad to hear it was a clean kill, though I had put "her" on my block list as well.

#36 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

It is nice to get a PM though. B)

#37 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:37 AM

I love how Catherine has made all of the old members, who haven't visited since around 2006, return. B)

Nothing like a little drama to get the crew back together. :tdown:

#38 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

Just got a message from that girl Catherine.

Reply to this topic