This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Nobel Peace Prize goes to President Obama!

17 replies to this topic

#1 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:39 AM

Just heard it on tv, the Nobel Peace Prize 2009 goes to U.S. President Obama. My congratulations to all American friends! B) :tdown:

#2 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

I'm shocked, in a positive way. He might not have been President long enough to achieve THAT much, but after the mess left by that guy from Texas, I think Obama has become a symbol of hope and optimism that unites people from different cultures, countries and religions more than I ever imagined he could. For that alone he deserves this recognition, since if there is one thing the world needs, it is a greater sense of community and the belief that the world can be a better place.

#3 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

What's Obama done to justify this award? I'm expecting a long list.

#4 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

No doubt, it's a controversial decision. This one would seem to be very much for merits yet to be achieved, i.e. Middle East, peace, prosperity and stability in a democratic world free of nuclear weapons and so on. The list is indeed long and reaches far beyond the here and now. Doubtlessly it will also increase the pressure on Obama's administration.

On the other hand this is the strange case of a politician honoured with this price and his opponents amongst his fellow countrymen shouting murder louder than the rest of the world. Goes to show how estranged relations between one part of the American public and the rest of the world have become over the last years.

Obama has indeed already achieved quite a lot in winning back the sympathy of many people in numerous countries who turned their back during the previous years. It may not be regarded as much of an asset by some people, but having friends in the world is a very serious and necessary foundation for the future, and not just the American's future. This may actually turn out more precious and valuable sooner than many of us would like to think. Make no mistake, it's always better to be part of a strong and stable community than to be alone. Obama's presidency may well be a crucial piece in achieving this once again. Let's all hope he earns his Nobel Prize in the years to come.

#5 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

I'll take my knighthood now. I've done nothing to merit it, but I might do in the future.

#6 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

My jaw dropped when I heard the news. I think a lot of members on this board, once they hear about this, will start slinging vitriol at the Nobel Prize Committee, but I'm happy for the President; he's following in the footsteps of the wonderful Teddy Roosevelt (and the not-so-wonderful racist Woodrow Wilson). B)

#7 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

Clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap...clap.....clap...........clap.

B)

Really?? Isn't this just a little premature?

#8 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:25 PM

My jaw dropped when I heard the news. I think a lot of members on this board, once they hear about this, will start slinging vitriol at the Nobel Prize Committee, but I'm happy for the President; he's following in the footsteps of the wonderful Teddy Roosevelt (and the not-so-wonderful racist Woodrow Wilson). B)

As well as Al Gore and Jimmy Carter. :tdown:

Considering the deadline for submitting nominations is in February 1st.. 12 days after Obama entered office, it tells you there's something odd about the handling of the award. The final blow to the Peace Prizes credibility.

Still hold my support for Obama, despite err.. oddities like this.

Edited by The Shark, 10 October 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#9 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

I'll take my knighthood now. I've done nothing to merit it, but I might do in the future.

All you need is eleven days on the job.Eleven. No really, just eleven days.Has anyone ever been so celebrated for achieving so little in a lifetime than President Obama? I guess he now has a reason to pen a third memior. B)

#10 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:47 PM

Replying late but whatevsies. I'm rather meh to it, really. Seems a bit premature, but if they wanna give it to him, let them. And this is probably the only response you'll really hear from me about it. Lately every time something happens the rabid absurdly far-righters come running teeth baring, and then the rabid absurdly far-lefters come in with flares, and...*sigh* I'm getting too old for this crap.

#11 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

All you need is eleven days on the job.Eleven. No really, just eleven days.Has anyone ever been so celebrated for achieving so little in a lifetime than President Obama? I guess he now has a reason to pen a third memior. :tdown:

I've been at my job for nine years, and I've achieved far less than he has. Where's my recognition? B)

#12 Doctor No

Doctor No

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:23 PM

Whether its undeserved or premature can't we all agree its better than Arafat??? :tdown: B)

#13 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:30 AM

Whether its undeserved or premature can't we all agree its better than Arafat??? :tdown: B)

That just reminded me of the headline on Fark.com: "Barack Obama linked to Yasser Arafat." :tdown:

#14 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:36 AM

I think to be nominated after being in office for 11 days and to win the prize after being in office for less than nine months discredits the whole system. The peace prize has to be for actual achievement, not potential. Still, it's not Obama's fault. I think he handled himself well in the matter.

#15 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:07 AM

I think to be nominated after being in office for 11 days and to win the prize after being in office for less than nine months discredits the whole system. The peace prize has to be for actual achievement, not potential. Still, it's not Obama's fault. I think he handled himself well in the matter.

I agree with pretty much every word of this.

#16 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:55 AM

This just in: Major League Baseball, having been impressed with Obama's opening pitch at the 2009 All-Star Game, have decided to award the President with the 2009 Cy Young Award.

#17 Sark2.0

Sark2.0

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

I agree with pretty much every word of this.

The only thing I disagree with is that it is this award that discredits the Nobel Peace Prize. When it was given to such "men of peace" as Yassir Arafat and Henry Kissinger it lost credibility for me.

This just in: Major League Baseball, having been impressed with Obama's opening pitch at the 2009 All-Star Game, have decided to award the President with the 2009 Cy Young Award.

You're a little late to the punch.

#18 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:30 AM

You're a little late to the punch.

How so? The Cy Young Award hasn't been given out yet. B)