This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Questions about new bond games and the best platforms!

8 replies to this topic

#1 BondChick4ever8

BondChick4ever8

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 03:07 PM

OK, well my brother and I have finally decided to leave the N64 era and move on with the times....We don't know which platform to get.
We want to have Agent Under fire, NightFire, 007 Racing, and any others that have to do with bond. (we already have goldeneye for N64)
We don't know whether to get an Xbox, GameCube, or Ps2.
I know that you can watch dvd and play cds on Xbox and Ps2 so we were thinking about Ps2. What do u suggest?:)

#2 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 09:24 PM

I'd go with a PS2.

I've owned one since they first came out and I'm very happy with it, the selection of games is great (certainly better than anything I've seen on the X-Box or Gamecube) and the DVD playback is excellent. As far as the future is concerned, the PS2 has the biggest share of the market, so it will be supported for a long time to come.

Of course, I'm slightly biased against anything produced by Microsoft, but the above opinion is an honest one. :)

#3 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 10:22 PM

I've been the proud owner of a PS2 for a little under a year. I love it! It's the best system I've ever owned and has the best selection of games on the market and has a great list of up and coming games as well. Aside from that, PS2 has an exclusive deal with Rockstar, and has the rights to not only grand theft auto III, but grand theft auto: vice city, being released in two weeks. And those two games are alone worth the price of the system!

Rich

#4 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 06:44 AM

well for Bond games you can get any system, personally I've got the Gamecube and like it, there's plenty out for it considering it's only been around for a year, PS2 has two years worth of games and while it may have a lot, there's plenty of **** too, if DVD playback is important then XBox and PS2 are nice, but Cube's the cheapest and if you like the exclusive Nintendo titles then you'll like it...really they're all pretty good and aside from some exclusives for each system, they have about the same games since most titles come out for at least two consoles...

#5 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 10:14 AM

i recommend the ps2. its easily the best system with the best games. plus with the ps2 you could get the original playstation bond games -TND, TWINE and 007 Racing. While they arent the best games in the world, they are still worth having, and by now they are fairly cheap.

#6 BondChick4ever8

BondChick4ever8

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 04:48 PM

I think I'm gonna go with PS2 there are a lot of games and the graphics are pretty good. First, I'm gonna rent one at blockbuster then I'll buy.

#7 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 02:07 PM

OK, if you want a new console just because of the games, I recommend a GameCube for several reasons: first advantage is the price. It's 50 bucks cheaper than a PS2 and about 100 cheaper than a XBoX.
Then there's the technical point of view. It's certainly one or two levels above the PS2 (I've played AUF on PS2 and GC and all I can say is that the GC version looks much much better) and comes very close or even par to the XBoX.
Also, if you want to play multiplayer, the worst choice is the PS2 simply because it has only two controller ports. GC has four ports. Also (a HUGE advantage over XBoX and PS2!) the GC needs almost no time for loading levels etc.
Then there's the size. Both, XBox as well as PS2, are about double as big as the GC.
The only disadvantage is that there are only two 00-games for GC (AUF and Nightfire), but I tell you: if you want to stay a Bond fan, then I wouldn't even dare to put my hands on Tomorrow Never Dies or TWINE for PlayStation because (put aside the music) they are really bad. 007 Racing is mediocre.
You have to decide: if you absolutely don't need to play DVDs, I really would get a GameCube.
If you want a DVD player, then buy PS2. It's cheaper than XBoX (especially because you need to buy a DVD playback kit if you want to play DVDs on XBoX) and you can play all PSone games on it.
If you want easy multiplayer fun (for four players, you need a link cable, two TV screens, two PS2 and two game discs for PS2!!!) AND a DVD player, then buy XBoX. The only bad thing about Microsoft's console is the price. Personally, I would buy a GameCube (also because of other high- quality games).
BUT: you make the choice.
Hope that helps!

#8 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 08:36 PM

I say go with PS2 or Xbox. PS2 has the biggest selection, best controller (I loathe the flimsy little GameCube controller), and you've got the Grand Theft Auto games, all new Bond games, AND all the old PS1 Bond games. BUT the graphics aren't as advanced as Xbox or GC. Disregard the comment about there only being 2 controller slots, as you can purchase an official adapter to allow you to have four controllers. Plus it has DVD playback. XBox is nice because its easily the most powerful console and has the best graphics and a great selection. DVD playback is available with an inexpensive adapter, and RareWare finally ditched Nintendo and signed a contract with Microsoft which means that the upcoming Perfect Dark sequel will be Xbox exclusive.

But they're all good consoles. It comes down to personal preference. I own all three and love all three so I think you'll be happy with whichever one you choose.

#9 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 12:13 AM

Yes, that's right with the multiplayer adapter, but why spend additional money on a console that is already more expansive than the GC?