This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Would anyone like to see the return of a male M?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
319 replies to this topic

#121 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

along with those mentioned how about the following;

Jeremy Irons

Kenneth Branagh

Gabriel Byrne

or if he could be gotten....

Sir Ben Kingsley

And how about Colin Farrell, Eric Bana, Edward Norton or Jim carrey, then ?!
Name dropping is very nice, but it could use a little realism.

Hmmm, other than Kingsley, I'm not sure what's unrealistic about any of those names;
Irons and Byrne haven't had leading roles in films for a few years and are largely doing supporting work and television, Branagh when he sint directing, takes largely supporting roles; I suspect all 3 would love the higher profile a Bond movie or 3 would bring...
Maybe next time you can explain rather than just criticise?

Well, I was about to, but Zorin beat me to it!
More seriously, I also have my "dream list" of potential Ms (I'd love to have Michael Caine), but I know there's no chance I'll get it because Bond management always cast rather not-so-well-known (by that, I mean not audience-famous) people. So, yes, "big names" are quite out of the equation obviously. Sheer history fact finding.
Same with potential villains. Honestly, how many of us knew about Mads Mikkelsen? Or even Mathieu Amalric (he is known in France, but even there, not that much), to name but the latest ones. I sincerely doubt they'd cast Fienes, Pacino, etc.

#122 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:52 PM

Jeremy Irons

Kenneth Branagh

Gabriel Byrne

Sir Ben Kingsley

Hmmm, other than Kingsley, I'm not sure what's unrealistic about any of those names;
Irons and Byrne haven't had leading roles in films for a few years and are largely doing supporting work and television, Branagh when he sint directing, takes largely supporting roles; I suspect all 3 would love the higher profile a Bond movie or 3 would bring...

More seriously, I also have my "dream list" of potential Ms (I'd love to have Michael Caine), but I know there's no chance I'll get it because Bond management always cast rather not-so-well-known (by that, I mean not audience-famous) people. So, yes, "big names" are quite out of the equation obviously. Sheer history fact finding.
Same with potential villains. Honestly, how many of us knew about Mads Mikkelsen? Or even Mathieu Amalric (he is known in France, but even there, not that much), to name but the latest ones. I sincerely doubt they'd cast Fienes, Pacino, etc.

Well, there's certainly some truth about Eon generally staying away from big stars (Tho Halle Berry, Christopher Walken and Anthony Hopkins may disagree), They do have a tendency to cast familiar, strong talent (Dench, Jeffrey Wright, Michael Madsen, Giancarlo Gianini, Sean Bean etc) when they can. Following Dench would be quite a task and I would imagine they'd look for a similar solid British(Irish) name; hence my above suggestions.
I doubt they'd cast a near-unknown as M, in fact, almost the opposite, tho I have no doubt they may well continue to cast unknowns (or the latest ingenue) as the latest girl and trawl the European character actor database for the next villain.

#123 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:02 PM

Jeremy Irons

Kenneth Branagh

Gabriel Byrne

Sir Ben Kingsley

Well, there's certainly some truth about Eon generally staying away from big stars (Tho Halle Berry, Christopher Walken and Anthony Hopkins may disagree), They do have a tendency to cast familiar, strong talent (Dench, Jeffrey Wright, Michael Madsen, Giancarlo Gianini, Sean Bean etc) when they can. Following Dench would be quite a task and I would imagine they'd look for a similar solid British(Irish) name; hence my above suggestions.
I doubt they'd cast a near-unknown as M, in fact, almost the opposite, tho I have no doubt they may well continue to cast unknowns (or the latest ingenue) as the latest girl and trawl the European character actor database for the next villain.

Call me cynical, but I think money may have something to do with it. You cast, say, a Michael Caine and you would have to pay top dollar, I think. On the other hand, trawling the European character actor database (or the UK or US equivalent) is something the Bond producers have done for years, and more often than not the end result has been inspired.

#124 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:35 AM

Indeed. No offence Freemo, but this is utter nonesense as far as gender is concerned. I've encountered numerous male senior officials who qualify for this kind of profile. Actually, even many senior military men I encountered and worked with, whom you would guess should be harsh and demanding and non-PC and all, proved to be dreary incompetent interested only in their careers and in avoiding any kind of personal implication in profesional issues.
And by the way, some of the best senior officials I've worked with were female.

Quite right. I had a particular person in mind when I wrote what I did, and they happen to be female. I don't doubt that there are many males who fit that description and many females who don't. Sorry.

#125 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

Indeed. No offence Freemo, but this is utter nonesense as far as gender is concerned. I've encountered numerous male senior officials who qualify for this kind of profile. Actually, even many senior military men I encountered and worked with, whom you would guess should be harsh and demanding and non-PC and all, proved to be dreary incompetent interested only in their careers and in avoiding any kind of personal implication in profesional issues.
And by the way, some of the best senior officials I've worked with were female.

Quite right. I had a particular person in mind when I wrote what I did, and they happen to be female. I don't doubt that there are many males who fit that description and many females who don't. Sorry.

Oh well, I see what you mean! My current boss could also pretty much qualify...
;)

#126 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

I'd go the complete other way, and go with another female M.

An M who's utterly incompetent (but deliberately written that way, instead of accidentally), who's appointment is due entirely to tokenism and nepotism. With no experience or knowledge in security or secrets or crisises, but instead, a resume consisting entirely of useless public sector jobs (diversity management, inclusive awareness coordination, etc). An M more concerned with relaxing dress standards and meeting gender and racial intake quotas than running an effective Secret Service, and actually measures her success by these trivial things. An M with policy ideas such as disarming her agents, because if we lay down our guns our enemies might follow our lead. A fat, useless, naive, leftist, politically-correct, tax-payer-funded dullard who does more to gum up the works than anything else. You know, the sort of person who actually gets these kind of jobs nowadays.

Make M someone for Bond to rally against, rather than with.

An M of the kind you describe above doesn't necessarily have to be female. There are plenty of male, box ticking, target setting PC types in real life top jobs. I've encountered a few myself. But didn't Connery rally against M in NSNA? Granted, Edward Fox's character wasn't "PC", but he clearly had no time for Bond and the Double-O section. I think as topical an idea, in these trying times of "austerity", would be an M brought in to downsize MI6 in general and the Double-O section in particular (I can just picture the scene: "These are difficult times, 007, and economies have to be made. We're all in this together, you know. Now, remember to pick up your P45 from Moneypenny on your way out. Good day, Bond!" :))

The source, I know, may be suspect - a UK red top tabloid, and a Sunday one at that (all Sunday newspapers over here can be notorious for recycling old news or making it up!)

But......
http://www.newsofthe...get-review.html

If it is true - a big if! - then you had forewarning of it on this thread!

#127 mttvolcano

mttvolcano

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:10 PM

I personally would like to see Alan Rickman, with a beard, as M.
Though perhaps his distinct voice might seem to overshadow the character of Bond as the main man....just a thought

#128 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

I personally would like to see Alan Rickman, with a beard, as M.
Though perhaps his distinct voice might seem to overshadow the character of Bond as the main man....just a thought

It would be different, though personally I would prefer to see him as Bond's nemesis in a future film - holding the world to ransom, terrifying innocent office workers in skyscrapers or, of course, cancelling Christmas! :)

#129 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:13 AM

I would just like to throw my hat in the Peter Firth ring who plays Harry Pierce over on [Spooks]. I know it's been said but he basically already plays M. I would love to see him fulfill his destiny to finally play the role.

Posted Image
Look at him. He's soooooo ready.

Edited by Chief of SIS, 14 November 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#130 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:27 AM

I would just like to throw my hat in the Peter Firth ring who plays Harry Pierce over on [Spooks]. I know it's been said but he basically already plays M. I would love to see him fulfill his destiny to finally play the role.

Posted Image

I think he is, and if he does land the part then he will have come a long way from the first TV show I remember him in (about the same time I started watching Bond at the flicks, Peter Firth was in a TV show called "The Double Deckers" - link to the fan club website below, see if you can spot him!)
http://www.thedoubledeckers.com/

Edited by Guy Haines, 14 November 2010 - 07:28 AM.

#131 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:26 AM

+1 for Peter Firth. :tup:

#132 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:57 AM

Looks like a good choice for M. :tup:

#133 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

Posted Image

Which is exactly why that would be a lazy choice. A new M would be out of the zone of obvious.

Julie Walters.

#134 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

Which is exactly why that would be a lazy choice. A new M would be out of the zone of obvious.

Julie Walters.

Very fine choice !

#135 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

Roger Allam.

#136 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

I don't mind really. I've loved Dench's portrayal, so I wouldn't be opposed to another highly talented actress being the next M (Julie Walters perhaps?)

Then again, I wouldn't be opposed to a male M returning. Time will tell.

#137 Bondposters.com

Bondposters.com

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

Peter Firth is a brilliant choice, and I don't believe it would be a lazy choice either, because he would have to adapt to the Bond way which is different to 'Spooks', if you get my meaning.

As much as I admire Judi Dench as an actress, I have never been able to get away with her portrayal of 'M'.

#138 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

Peter Firth is a brilliant choice, and I don't believe it would be a lazy choice either, because he would have to adapt to the Bond way which is different to 'Spooks', if you get my meaning.

Not much in the Craig era sadly, with the exception of budget of course.

And yes it would be a lazy and far too obvious choice. Every time a name is reiterated here, the less likely it'll be eventually picked by EON. That's statistically probable.

#139 Bondposters.com

Bondposters.com

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:00 PM

And yes it would be a lazy and far too obvious choice. Every time a name is reiterated here, the less likely it'll be eventually picked by EON. That's statistically probable.

Hmm, good point RE the probable EON stance ...

#140 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

I would LOVE to see the return of a male M.
I think M now being female was a wrong idea. It's like they merely wanted to add another ingredient to the recipe. Being that of "let's now explore the wonderful world of sexism in the workplace!" That is, how will Bond respond to taking orders from a woman, and M calling Bond a sexist misogynistic dinosaur pig one moment and then almost instantly telling him to be careful. I tell you, as a woman, she looked and acted like she was "in love" with him there.

MI5 had a female boss (Dame Stella Rimington) between 1992 and 1996. I think this a had a major influence on Bond having a female M.

I am not too fussed myself whether the next M is male or female, but IMO whoever takes over from Dame Judi, whether they be man or woman, has a big plate to step up to.

#141 Liparus

Liparus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

whoever takes over from Dame Judi, whether they be man or woman, has a big plate to step up to.

I don't think it's a question of sex. The question is more interesting about the age...A young M. Maybe few years younger than Bond for an interesting relation based on a conflict. It's just my point of view.

#142 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

whoever takes over from Dame Judi, whether they be man or woman, has a big plate to step up to.

I don't think it's a question of sex. The question is more interesting about the age...A young M. Maybe few years younger than Bond for an interesting relation based on a conflict. It's just my point of view.

I kind of like the idea. Like a 'daddy's in parliament, I got this job through him' kind of thing (though I don't think such an intelligence position would be prone to positional logrolling) . It may steal too much from what a Bond film should do but it would be an interesting idea at least on paper.

#143 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:25 AM

I kind of like the idea. Like a 'daddy's in parliament, I got this job through him' kind of thing (though I don't think such an intelligence position would be prone to positional logrolling) . It may steal too much from what a Bond film should do but it would be an interesting idea at least on paper.

That would be a very good idea indeed. I'd like that; a young M could bring some interesting plot/character development.

And, to Chief of SIS, believe me when I say that such a high ranking position is not only due to meritocracy. I don't know how it works in the UK, but what I do know is than in more cases than one the head of secret services is just here because he happens to be very good friends with the head of State or is somehow familiy related.
I know, this is lame, but that's real life.

#144 Liparus

Liparus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

That would be a very good idea indeed. I'd like that; a young M could bring some interesting plot/character development.
And, to Chief of SIS, believe me when I say that such a high ranking position is not only due to meritocracy. I don't know how it works in the UK, but what I do know is than in more cases than one the head of secret services is just here because he happens to be very good friends with the head of State or is somehow familiy related.

Thanks.
About the secret services in our country, I can't let say such a thing by Messervy, with his permission.
The current head of DGSE, Erard Corbin de Mangoux is competent and his past at the service of our country is very honorable. In the 70's he was a simple Commissioner of Police. Then he went up through the ranks to Prefect, and become Counsellor to the President for Security. He had few distinctions : National Order of Merit (like Wellington by exemple) and Medal of National Defense. He's not connected. He's a real civil servant officer.
Sorry for the disgression but for a man pretending come from the intelligence service, Messervy seems...at least imprudent in his manners and his statements about the service and its servants as well...

#145 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

Thanks.
About the secret services in our country, I can't let say such a thing by Messervy, with his permission.
The current head of DGSE, Erard Corbin de Mangoux is competent and his past at the service of our country is very honorable. In the 70's he was a simple Commissioner of Police. Then he went up through the ranks to Prefect, and become Counsellor to the President for Security. He had few distinctions : National Order of Merit (like Wellington by exemple) and Medal of National Defense. He's not connected. He's a real civil servant officer.
Sorry for the disgression but for a man pretending come from the intelligence service, Messervy seems...at least imprudent in his manners and his statements about the service and its servants as well...

hmmm...did you work for DGSE? Does the name Brochand mean anything to you?
just saying

Edit: could you offer an opinion instead of just acting on the reputation system?

Edited by Messervy, 15 December 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#146 Liparus

Liparus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

Please don't play that tune with me. A true civil servant officer hasn't the time for being on internet forums at this time of the day and so often as you do. Your statements on the subject are merely vague and come from books.
A true civil servant would know these comments about his superior and the service are a breach in the duty of discretion and may be punished severely.
The fact you are more prolific on Wednesday is an another clue for me.
We are guests of our English friends on this site and you should give a better image of our country and our manners.
This conversation is over.

#147 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

Please don't play that tune with me. A true civil servant officer hasn't the time for being on internet forums at this time of the day and so often as you do. Your statements on the subject are merely vague and come from books.
A true civil servant would know these comments about his superior and the service are a breach in the duty of discretion and may be punished severely.
The fact you are more prolific on Wednesday is an another clue for me.
We are guests of our English friends on this site and you should give a better image of our country and our manners.
This conversation is over.

:D
Man, do you make me laugh!
Anyway, it doesn't really matter.
I was merely trying to give an opinion to Chief of SIS here, you interfered and blame me. So be it. It's your right not to like what I say, but I couldn't care less about what you think you might know about me.
That being said, I do hope we'll resume talking like grown-ups. If you choose not to, suit yourself.

#148 HS.

HS.

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:30 AM

Could I suggest Guy Henry? Otherwise known as the wonderfully cold and pedantic Henrik Hanssen in Holby City, has had roles in Rome & John Adams. Also a renowned RSC man. I think he could play the role of a bureaucratic yet wise M who has an edgy demeanor to Bond which is what was introduced with the female M initially.

#149 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

There have been several very fine choices already as to a possible replacement for Judi Dench if Bond 23 does prove to be her swan song. It could make for a very dramatic storyline if handled correctly and the arrival of her replacement provides some interesting possibilities.

One of my top choices for the role would be Don Warrington and anyone who is familiar with his work will know he has a superb voice that oozes authority and class.

He isn't an obvious choice compared to other actors with higher profiles (Anthony Hopkins, Peter Firth) but he is well respected and I could imagine some great exchanges between him and Bond.

Posted Image

#150 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Don Warrington. Yes. Well done. I can see him perfectly in the role!

Not that I would like to see Dame Judi Dench leave that is. I love her in that role (in any role come to think of it) but, yes, should she decided to leave after Bond 23, then Warrington would fit the glove perfectly.

Harry Fawkes