4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:28 AM

Eight years ago today, a terrible, stupid tragedy occurred, and the world (and America's viewpoint of it) was forever altered.

Rest in peace, all souls who died on that terrible day. B)

#2 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:06 PM

RIP for everyone except these head-empty terrorists!

#3 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

I was in Chicago on 9/11...living in a highrise apartment for the first time...weird day..I was on my way to work and I saw a women wearing a Dan Fouts jersey, which was odd to see in Chicago of all places, especially on a tuesday morning. I didn't see anything on tv until the moment the second tower fell...

I bbqed burgers and hotdogs that night...

One of my high school class mates died in the towers.

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

A day that none of us will or should forget.

I think it was the French President who at the time said something to the effect of "We are all Americans now". Well, all these years on, many of us still are.

I found out about 9/11 the morning after it happened, when I was living in Japan. My boss slid a badly-faxed copy of what looked like an American newspaper's front page across my desk when I got into work. I assumed it was something he wanted me to translate. Still half-asleep and craving coffee, I squinted at the text: "Thousands feared dead.... terrorists have crashed hijacked passenger planes into the World Trade Center...." I honestly thought it was some kind of short story about a "what if?" scenario, mocked up to look like a newspaper article. I yawned and looked blankly at my boss, whose eyes widened in astonishment when he saw my expression. "You haven't heard?" he asked. Heard what? I wondered, annoyed that he was hitting me with a dumb science fiction text this early in the morning. He pointed to the document and my blood froze as my eye fell on the date under the newspaper's name. It was today's date. I was floored by a tsunami of disbelief, rage and terror. I will never forget that day or the days that followed. The world changed forever and so did the way I saw it.

#5 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

Honestly I was a bit of an B) about it. When my teacher heard about what had happened she went and got a TV from the AV room and turned it on to CNN. Felt positively nothing watching the repeating footage of the towers collapsing, and honestly I remember thinking it looked pretty cool. Kind of what happens when you're nine years old and don't understand what's going on, I guess. Frankly my biggest memory from that day is the fact that we got out of school at a bit before 11, and basically had a half day because the superintendent decided to send everyone home. I remember my mom got home from work about an hour after I got home and she was seriously upset, but me, I was in my room playing Pokemon. I just was completely oblivious to everything. It wasn't really until 2004 or 2005 that it sunk in for me.