This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2911 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

I would rather believe the trusted sources Rye and Cox than "James Bond Radio".

#2912 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

The guys from James Bond Radio have been known to post here. I hope they will drop by soon, I'd very much like to ask them a few questions about this. 

#2913 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

Ooh the plot thickens!

Or does it!?

I enjoy this speculation. It's a lot of fun and leads to some wonderful debates. I'm more inclined to believe zencat and Graham Rye than any other source, but only time will tell who had the scoop before who. Still, Hiddles continues to have my support.

#2914 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Anyone know how reliable the James Bond Radio guys are? This is from their Facebook page:

James Bond Radio
56 mins ·

Some of you may have seen the Tom Hiddleston rumours heating up on various Facebook pages over the last few days.
Apparently, the word on the street is that Tom filmed a screen test for Bond around a month ago and that Barbara has offered him the job. He's apparently "thinking about it."

With all that said, we have it on very good authority that none of this is actually true. We obviously can't reveal our sources but from what we've been told AND what we've actually seen, we're confident it's all BS and Hiddleston isn't actually in the frame.

Sounds like pulling your leg a bit, doesn't it?

#2915 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

I wonder what they must have been told - it was probably not enough so they have to add that they have "actually seen" something.

So unless it was a screen test - which EON definitely won´t invite anyone to - with someone else or a breakdown of the production costs for BOND 25 including the fee for Daniel Craig...

#2916 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

Now we're in the thick of it! Different sources claiming to have absolutely reliable information that's completely contradictory! Yay Internet! :laugh:

#2917 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

I wonder what they must have been told - it was probably not enough so they have to add that they have "actually seen" something.

So unless it was a screen test - which EON definitely won´t invite anyone to - with someone else or a breakdown of the production costs for BOND 25 including the fee for Daniel Craig...

Exactly. It's the "...AND what we've actually seen." bit that has me scratching my head. What on earth could they be referring to?

When I said above that I'd like to ask them a question or two, that was very much one of the questions.

#2918 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

I trust Rye and Cox immensely.

Don't know anything about James Bond Radio.

#2919 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

Assuming Cox and Rye are correct, and assuming Hiddleston accepts the offer in the next couple weeks, do we still think November 2018 is the likeliest release date for Bond 25? 

A part of me wonders if November 2017 is totally out of the question, or perhaps even summer 2018. 

#2920 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

I think some are getting a bit confused with all the rumours at the moment - John Cox has said nothing about Hiddleston being offered the part.

In fact, he goes as far as to explicitly say...

As far of Tom Hiddleston is concerned, I've heard nothing about him or any replacement.

http://www.thebookbo...or-reasons.html

I'm just adding this at this stage to help clear up any confusion. At the moment, I'm tending to believe that Hiddleston has received an official offer, as Graham Rye has been told by his source. 

#2921 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

To me, Hiddleston looks like Bond a great deal. He is attractive with a piercing glare. I believe he could be a cold hearted assassin and a playboy enjoying the finer things in life.

He seems in line with the FlemingBond look.

Same here.  In general, Hiddleston is able to bring a lighter side to Bond - something which Craig seemed to fight most of the time although it is an important part of the character´s appeal.

Agreed on both points.

I wish I could find my first post naming Hiddleston as my #1 choice for Craig's successor.  IMO, he has more the "everyman" look Fleming described in his novels, and would work especially well in a period-set Bond (i.e. Cold War era).  In a modern context, it's not as clear how it would work, except maybe to go a bit of the Brosnan route & portray him as a relic in his own time?

Dave

#2922 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

Couldn´t agree more, Dave.

With the amount of support the man is having in the media and in the forums, not mentioning talk shows (some hosts downright say they´d love him to be Bond), it would be strange if he didn´t turn out to be the top choice. 

I remember Clive Owen having some sort of support but not like this. He had those bmw ads and the Croupier flick, but nothing like the media frenzy Hiddleston has. That alone could be good for the franchise in these modern times, right? 

#2923 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:21 PM

Hiddleston interview on something called W magazine:

On making a good spy: “Right now I’d make a terrible spy, because every­body knows who I am. They’d be like, ‘What are you doing here?’ But Susanne Bier, the director of The Night Manager, said that she thinks I am very enigmatic and good at keeping secrets.”

Is he, then, good at keeping secrets? 

#2924 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:45 PM

Assuming Cox and Rye are correct, and assuming Hiddleston accepts the offer in the next couple weeks, do we still think November 2018 is the likeliest release date for Bond 25? 

A part of me wonders if November 2017 is totally out of the question, or perhaps even summer 2018. 

That would be my hope as it would make no sense to announce the new Bond in the summer of 2016 and have the film set for 2018 or even 2019. Pierce was announced in June of '94, filming on GE commenced the following January. Also to keep in mind, filming on GE was originally going to begin in the summer for a summer '95 release. If Tom did get an official press release this summer, I'd expect the MGM deal has been sorted out and development on Bond 25 is further along then we assume.

The flip side is that's wishful thinking on my part. If all these Bond rumors are in fact hogwash, it could be we aren't even remotely near a new Bond film getting underway.

#2925 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

I believe Rye and Cox - meaning: Craig is definitely out and EON is happy to move on.

Since Hiddleston was seen with BB and Mendes I think it´s safe to assume that he was asked to at least do a screen test.  If he had not been given an offer afterwards, I´m pretty sure that another candidate´s PR team would have gone into overdrive.  Aidan Quinn´s "Poldark" producer said that he was asked about Quinn´s availability - so he might be or have been in the running, too.

It just seems more likely that Hiddleston - more famous, more present in the media and bringing a more varied acting bio - is the candidate to beat.

Since he seems very keen on getting the role I don´t think he will turn down the offer.  It´s probably only a matter of sorting out the distribution deal before Hiddleston is announced as Bond.  Either Hiddleston has already said yes or he can only take the offer once it is clear when BOND 25 is going to start production.

I don´t think, however, that Hiddleston would wait and clear his schedule for the next year if the distribution deal cannot be done within the next couple of months.  He is just a too hot property to not fill his schedule now.

My prediction: MGM, with Craig gone and Hiddleston in place, will find a new distributor very soon, and at the end of this summer we will get the news.  Not only of Hiddleston as Bond and WB as new distributor but also of BOND 25 going into production this winter for a release date in the fall of 2017.

#2926 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

That would be very fast. However, I don't see a studio agreeing with MGM on terms of a deal and then wait for months to move with it. That would be akin to ordering a Porsche and telling the factory to keep it for a year.

So a studio would now know who they could expect in the role and possibly also by which time they could see results. It would be down to MGM to swallow whatever keeps them and start getting down to business.

#2927 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

When challenged by someone on the 007 Magazine page, the admin replied with:

That was then. This is now. Much like one day you're alive, the next day you're dead! Things change...

#2928 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

That was then. This is now. Much like one day you're alive, the next day you're dead! Things change...

How cutting!!

#2929 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:21 AM

What does he refer to - his insight knowledge?

#2930 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

His past comments that any media talk about Craig leaving is nothing but speculation until there's an official announcement made.

#2931 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

We're getting so ahead of ourselves here, but I can't help speculating: If the fall of 2017 is suddenly a possibility (I say "suddenly" as far as we're concerned, as for EON it may have been a likely possibility this entire time), has there been a rough draft of a script commissioned yet? Am I correct in assuming that a script could be written in the absence of a distributor? Or would that only happen once Bond #7 and the new distributor are on board-- meaning scriptwork would only begin (at the earliest) in a few months from now? 

Gosh, a part of me would be disappointed now if Craig is soon announced to return for Bond 25 in 2019...

#2932 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

I think it's a step-by-step process and both Eon and MGM must be on board to order a formal script. That was the reason why MGM's last hiccup caused a delay, Eon cannot simply walk part of the way alone. But MGM naturally knows they can't stall with a distributor deal forever, they are much more in need of a stable partnership than anything else. Rumours about them returning into the distribution game are highly...optimistic.

#2933 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

Any production entity - especially EON with their one and only property - constantly has scripts in development, and we can be absolutely sure that they already started to develop at least a treatment for BOND 25 when SPECTRE was prepared for its relese.

Right now, they will have a draft that can be shown to an actor and a director and which can be broken down for calculating the costs.

Of course, this is all subject to change, especially in a situation in which the lead actor might/will change, resulting in a script that can be adapted to include the current Bond or a future Bond (see TLD for example).

If everything can be resolved (distribution and cast) quickly, EON will want to/have to move forward quickly - so it would be completely insane not to have some kind of story for BOND 25 right now.  Naturally, that story will be subject to many changes.

#2934 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

To me, Hiddleston looks like Bond a great deal. He is attractive with a piercing glare. I believe he could be a cold hearted assassin and a playboy enjoying the finer things in life.

I thought Broccoli was infatuated with Craig. I guess the honeymoon ended a while back.

Although Broccoli has indeed been infatuated with Craig from the get-go (after seeing Layer Cake, she immediately proclaimed "I'm in love with Daniel Craig! He's the next Bond!") she may not fancy him as much now that he's a bit more haggard than he was. Twelve years, after all, is a long time and her infatuation may have waned, particularly as he's married now.

#2935 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:53 PM

C´mon, BB was and is married, too.  And his being "more haggard" now will definitely not be a factor in the cooling down of their relationship.

It´s just what it always is during a long-term business relationship between an actor and a producer.  The actor believes that he/she should have more power and more money and begins to dictate conditions.  And the producer at some point says: no more.

#2936 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:00 PM

C´mon, BB was and is married, too.  And his being "more haggard" now will definitely not be a factor in the cooling down of their relationship.

It´s just what it always is during a long-term business relationship between an actor and a producer.  The actor believes that he/she should have more power and more money and begins to dictate conditions.  And the producer at some point says: no more.

I do agree with this in terms of the business relationship coming to an end. But that doesn't explain why he was reportedly offered £68mil to return... unless of course BB offered this figure on an actor only basis with no producer accreditation too. All good things come to an end.  

#2937 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

Yes, I suppose you're right. Twelve years is a long time, after all. Although I figured it was common knowledge that Broccoli fancied Craig. She's never been shy in hiding it - she's been like a giggling school-girl, said she'd be on her hands and knees begging Craig to stay if he ever wished to go, and that she wanted him to be Bond forever. And she's no longer married.

#2938 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

I do agree with this in terms of the business relationship coming to an end. But that doesn't explain why he was reportedly offered £68mil to return... unless of course BB offered this figure on an actor only basis with no producer accreditation too. All good things come to an end.  

If that figure is correct it is just a typical sum for a major franchise player and, of course, not paid in full just like that - but in installments and advertising deals.

Lots of money?  Absolutely.  But if you look at the tons of money that are made with blockbuster movies worldwide actors who draw audiences do deserve that. 

Yes, I suppose you're right. Twelve years is a long time, after all. Although I figured it was common knowledge that Broccoli fancied Craig. She's never been shy in hiding it - she's been like a giggling school-girl, said she'd be on her hands and knees begging Craig to stay if he ever wished to go, and that she wanted him to be Bond forever. And she's no longer married.

Don´t confuse the act for the media with BB´s real feelings.

#2939 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

What is Hiddleston supposedly "thinking about"? If I were offered the role of Bond the only thing I'd have to think about is how much can I afford to pay Broccoli for the role. :)

#2940 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:55 PM

9:17 onwards. Does anyone believe he´s really in the dark? And the same practiced answer to so many interviews in the last couple of months. I say the man knows something. In fact, I say he´s relishing the game.