This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3091 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:18 PM

I've already resigned myself to the notion that it will be somewhat of a wait for Bond 25, regardless of whether Craig returns or not. At this point, I'd be thrilled if the film were to come out in 2018, although my bet is on 2019. And I'm dreading the possibility of 2020 or later. 

In any event, I'm okay with a wait for Bond 25 if it gives EON / MGM time to get their act together and put the series back on somewhat of a regular schedule. A new film every other year would be ideal, although I'd be okay with alternating between two and three year gaps. But if we get Bond 25 in 2019, only to wait another four or five years until Bond 26... well, let's just say that's my biggest concern regarding the franchise at the moment. 

#3092 Toxteth_OGrady

Toxteth_OGrady

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

Looks like there's one name we can rule out...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-36864772

#3093 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:36 PM

http://www.digitalsp...est-apparently/

Not sure on the reliability but I wouldn't mind waiting if Craig was returning...

Digital Spy say in that "New reports have suggested" and "According to The Sun".

So essentially, they are just reporting on what it says here...

https://www.thesun.c...aig-to-stay-on/

It's The Sun so a grain of salt as usual, but they're not claiming to have been told anything too outlandish and they do have their sources. 

#3094 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:40 PM

If Craig comes back and the film is say, two or three years from now, that wouldn't be a bad thing from a continuity point of view. In fact, it'd be a bonus if anything. Have Craig's Bond retired since the events of SPECTRE. Having lived the soft life that Fleming spoke about. And by the time of Bond 25, he's older, caught off guard and brought back for one last hurrah where he finally kills Blofeld.

#3095 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:07 PM

http://www.digitalsp...est-apparently/

Not sure on the reliability but I wouldn't mind waiting if Craig was returning...

Digital Spy say in that "New reports have suggested" and "According to The Sun".

So essentially, they are just reporting on what it says here...

https://www.thesun.c...aig-to-stay-on/

It's The Sun so a grain of salt as usual, but they're not claiming to have been told anything too outlandish and they do have their sources. 

Yes did notice that...

If Craig comes back and the film is say, two or three years from now, that wouldn't be a bad thing from a continuity point of view. In fact, it'd be a bonus if anything. Have Craig's Bond retired since the events of SPECTRE. Having lived the soft life that Fleming spoke about. And by the time of Bond 25, he's older, caught off guard and brought back for one last hurrah where he finally kills Blofeld.

I'm actually not opposed to waiting a little longer if we have some more continuity brought to the role. Also I'm still not sure 4 films with Craig is enough for me. 

#3096 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

I doubt things will play out this way - but if they did, with BOND 25 seeing Craig's return in two or three years, it would certainly set Craig's tenure even more apart from all the rest of the series.

Well, who knows?

#3097 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

I doubt things will play out this way - but if they did, with BOND 25 seeing Craig's return in two or three years, it would certainly set Craig's tenure even more apart from all the rest of the series.

Well, who knows?

True. If there is truth in this that Eon are considering waiting for Craig can we presume BB thinks he can be convinced or she was not satisfied with any replacements? That being said, if BB is still infatuated by Craig as Bond could this pose a precarious situation in terms of moving the franchise forward? 

#3098 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

Hum...

No idea really. What we know from experience is that Eon try making the best of any given situation. Personally I don't believe in Craig's return - but if he did he would surely act as one pole of stability in a climate anything but. We know he's booked out for a time already, maybe he actually will change his mind later. I can't imagine, as of right now, how Eon or MGM would object to Craig returning.

As for moving the franchise forward, that's not always a question of huge steps. Currently I should think Bond's next adventure(s) might go a step away or two from too topical realism. Maybe indeed a storyline with a bizarre surrealist theme might just be what they are looking for now.

The only thing I would dismiss now would be a script that works with or without Craig in the role. I feel if there is a new Bond the script will likely reflect this in some manner. Not necessarily with a reboot, no. But I somehow don't see another actor picking up the storyline five minutes after Bond and Madeleine drive off.

#3099 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:12 PM

I think this is the 3 or 4 years that Gary Barber talked about at the MGM stock holder meeting.

4 years to possibly get Craig back, or 3 (when Eon would otherwise be ready) with a new Bond. 

#3100 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:40 PM

Something tells me if the situation hadn't changed somewhat unexpectedly there might already have been progress of a kind on both ends. As is there is now little use in rushing anything, Eon have got their own projects, Craig's busy anyway, MGM will have to make do without Bond for another two years. Maybe they actually see their IPO before anything else. Or they indeed start again distribution, though I'm not the only one who doubts it.

At any rate no real news may be expected for the time being. Other than speculation and the usual talent spotting for the next Bond...

#3101 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:52 AM

How nauseating... 

But, if they are either looking to work with a new Bond or waiting for Craig to make a comeback then it's going to be a long process for either of those things anyway. Between Dalton and Brosnan it was 6 years before we saw a new film, and then 4 years between Brosnan and Craig too. We best busy ourselves for the next 4 at least. 

#3102 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:59 PM

Well, it would at least come as a welcome surprise if things happened faster than that. We can reasonably expect that they have some kind of idea at Eon house for either outcome, regardless of their actual preferences. But as of now it would seem Bond does not figure prominently on any of the players' agendas.

Even MGM will have to prove their abilities to steer a course without the Bond machine humming in the engine room. If they want to remain operational, let alone staging an IPO, other productions have to provide the steam for it. Productions that need distribution, publicity, box office. Sooner or later that end of the business will see a solution in either direction. After that the pieces of the mosaic that will form BOND 25 one day will fall into place. It's still not even one full year since SPECTRE.

#3103 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

Don't know if this has already been posted or if this is even the correct thread for it, but according to our own Zencat, Craig is indeed out but not for the reasons we think or have been told...

http://www.thebookbo...or-reasons.html

In short, Zencat's sources tell him Barbara Broccoli and Craig have fallen out. 

#3104 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

Don't know if this has already been posted or if this is even the correct thread for it, but according to our own Zencat, Craig is indeed out but not for the reasons we think or have been told...

http://www.thebookbo...or-reasons.html

In short, Zencat's sources tell him Barbara Broccoli and Craig have fallen out.

It has been hinted at by some people and it is what we've been hearing from Zencat himself. We didn't 'report' it simply because it's one of those things you will likely not ever get a straight confirmation for by a reliable source; other than "off the record." And you know how it is with rumours on the Internet, one not spread is one killed in its tracks.

BUT - I have not doubt whatsoever that John is absolutely convinced of the substance of this. He would never write it if he wasn't 100 per cent positive this was the state of affairs on the matter. And, sad as it is, it would seem to tally with the general vibe behind the scenes - what little we get to pick up of it. It's one of the reasons why I too am highly sceptical about a return of Craig.

And yet, we all know how things in the business have a strange way of aligning themselves in unforeseen directions and we also have witnessed the odd unexpected comeback as John rightfully adds. From the comments on this post you can already gather all kinds of high spirits and righteous rage, much like a small scale model of Brosnan's farewell. The further that kind of thing is in the future the higher the chances it will not be as bad as last time...

#3105 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:23 PM

I mentioned I was curious about Craig's producing ambitions just before that was posted,

I think page 95 or 96 of the 3/4 year thread.

With Craig doing tv now I picture the film roles aren't coming in as they use too. His films don't seem to be received well. Unless he is Bond. So I think he'll return if BB allows it...

So many if and buts right now.......................

#3106 wdj89

wdj89

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

tv is not the red headed stepchild it once was - its fair to say an actor like Craig would be more interested in the kind of work he would get on TV rather than there being no film offers anymore - its likely they are just films like Cowboys and Aliens that he might not want to do.

Craig signing up for what seems to be a very high end TV show is not a sign of desperation by any means

#3107 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:25 PM

tv is not the red headed stepchild it once was - its fair to say an actor like Craig would be more interested in the kind of work he would get on TV rather than there being no film offers anymore - its likely they are just films like Cowboys and Aliens that he might not want to do.

Craig signing up for what seems to be a very high end TV show is not a sign of desperation by any means

Absolutely right. TV began a new golden age way back with The Sopranos and The Wire and it's still going strong. Many actors complain about the dearth of interesting, unique cinematic roles, as do critics about the dearth of story veriety. Thanks to the success of Marvel the majority of studio output is tailor made for the multiplex teen audience.

TV is where the great drama is these days and i'll guess there was plenty of high profile competition for the role that Craig just won.

#3108 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

Absolutely right. TV began a new golden age way back with The Sopranos and The Wire and it's still going strong. Many actors complain about the dearth of interesting, unique cinematic roles, as do critics about the dearth of story veriety. Thanks to the success of Marvel the majority of studio output is tailor made for the multiplex teen audience.

TV is where the great drama is these days and i'll guess there was plenty of high profile competition for the role that Craig just won.

The recent success of original Netflix alongside the cable based series has only added to this, as now that "what the advertisers want" becomes less and less relevant original tv drama has flourished.

#3109 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

Indeed; the opposite trajectory to cinema

#3110 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:50 AM

After visiting the fan art thread again, I'm feeling this vibe big time:

Daniel Craig is Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in THE DEATH COLLECTOR.

#3111 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:45 AM

Yes! Fantastic fan art as well. I think it would be a great shame if Eon didn't explore this option. 

#3112 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:18 PM

The You Only Live Twice reference is there, too. Which is a plot line a lot of people seem to want if Craig does one last film.

#3113 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

Me being one of them... ha!

#3114 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

Been grumbling in the ears of friends and random strangers about the YOLT adaptation that's begging to be made since they announced the reboot. With the arc they've established and the best actor in decades 'still open to the possibility' this is maybe the last-best time to do it.

#3115 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

Honestly, I'd rather they wait a couple decades to finally adapt the YOLT storyline-- it's simply too soon since Vesper and QoS to have the necessary emotional resonance. 

Or they could adapt the Shatterhand / Garden of Death / castle elements without involving vengeance on Bond's part. But I'm probably the only fan of the series who would be okay with that. 

#3116 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

Been grumbling in the ears of friends and random strangers about the YOLT adaptation that's begging to be made since they announced the reboot. With the arc they've established and the best actor in decades 'still open to the possibility' this is maybe the last-best time to do it.

Couldn't agree more. I feel like Eon have set this up, which may be why we haven't had a confirmed 'yes' or 'no' in terms of Craig. 

#3117 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:48 AM

The You Only Live Twice reference is there, too. Which is a plot line a lot of people seem to want if Craig does one last film.

Indeed. As others have also said, it seems an ideal way to round off Craig - if there was to be one more, of course. Having said that, I've been banging on about the Garden of Death for years, so I'll take it any way it comes!

#3118 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

Indeed. As others have also said, it seems an ideal way to round off Craig - if there was to be one more, of course. Having said that, I've been banging on about the Garden of Death for years, so I'll take it any way it comes!

I don't want to spoil the novel for those whom haven't read it yet, but the final moments of YOLT would be an epic way for Craig to depart and would set-up a new actor in the role wonderfully.

Why? because they can follow up YOLT with a new actor as Bond using the first act of Fleming's TMWTGG (which was Fleming's 'sequel' to YOLT), in which Bond returns after being missing for a year or two and attempts to assassinate M.

That's a pretty punchy pre-titles sequence and way engage the audience withe the new actor. But what really makes it an ideal way to introduce a new actor as Bond is that the rest of the novel's first act is Bond undergoing rehabilitation to undo SMERSH's brainwashing (SMERSH could be replaced by SPECTRE). This basically entails Bond relearning who he is, what he stands for and fights for. The strong subplot in the rest of the story is Bond's rediscovery of the nuances and habits that make him Bond.

What better entrance for a new actor - it's as though Fleming's already written Eon a soft-reboot that isn't really a reboot because it's part of the story. All those moments of the actor establishing the motif's are no longer just for the benefit of the audience - with a nod-nod, wink-wink - but an integral part of the character's journey totally in sync with the film's intertextual logic.

#3119 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:06 PM

I don't want to spoil the novel for those whom haven't read it yet, but the final moments of YOLT would be an epic way for Craig to depart and would set-up a new actor in the role wonderfully.

Why? because they can follow up YOLT with a new actor as Bond using the first act of Fleming's TMWTGG (which was Fleming's 'sequel' to YOLT), in which Bond returns after being missing for a year or two and attempts to assassinate M.

That's a pretty punchy pre-titles sequence and way engage the audience withe the new actor. But what really makes it an ideal way to introduce a new actor as Bond is that the rest of the novel's first act is Bond undergoing rehabilitation to undo SMERSH's brainwashing (SMERSH could be replaced by SPECTRE). This basically entails Bond relearning who he is, what he stands for and fights for. The strong subplot in the rest of the story is Bond's rediscovery of the nuances and habits that make him Bond.

What better entrance for a new actor - it's as though Fleming's already written Eon a soft-reboot that isn't really a reboot because it's part of the story. All those moments of the actor establishing the motif's are no longer just for the benefit of the audience - with a nod-nod, wink-wink - but an integral part of the character's journey totally in sync with the film's intertextual logic.

You are absolutely right, and I would LOVE to see Eon exploit this. However, my concern is that the general public (not us 'super fans') would scream/outcry and claim that Bond is now copying Bourne - in terms of Bond having to relearn who is he etc. Despite the fact, Fleming had this idea way before Ludlum anyway. 

#3120 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

I would gladly see the Garden of Death-part of YOLT - but the amnesia, with Bond having to learn who he is - no, please.  We had enough movies about Bond becoming Bond (again).

The next Bond should just start with a new mission.