This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3001 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:04 AM

Please no Hardy, please no Hardy...

#3002 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

Please no Hardy, please no Hardy...

He would be too similar to Craig in my opinion. 

#3003 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

Is there any movie with him proving that he can be funny and lighthearted?

Everytime I see Hardy he is doing the same schtick: the tortured soul, the brute, the violent crazy, always mumbling with a too high-pitched voice.

Yep, I don´t like him.

#3004 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

I think he's been typecast as of recently, but he has potential. 

#3005 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

Hardy could surprise us, how about Jake Gyllenhaal...

#3006 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:19 AM

Everytime I see Hardy he is doing the same schtick: the tortured soul, the brute, the violent crazy, always mumbling with a too high-pitched voice.

Yep, I don´t like him.

His turn in Inception was pretty light and fun - at the time it was called Bond-esque, which i'm sure was exactly what Nolan wanted of him. I remember the line 'Mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling'  getting a big laugh in the theatre as the bigger gun is revealed....

Sounds like Bond to me....

#3007 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

I honestly wouldn't mind Hardy - I think he's got a lot of potential. The types of roles he has been given haven't exactly given him the opportunity to demonstrate this. 

#3008 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

Hardy does seem to have gotten alot gruff and dour roles of late, seems like an age since he was slow dancing with Gerard Butler in RocknRola.

#3009 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:05 AM

Yep, I don´t like him.

His turn in Inception was pretty light and fun - at the time it was called Bond-esque, which i'm sure was exactly what Nolan wanted of him. I remember the line 'Mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling'  getting a big laugh in the theatre as the bigger gun is revealed....

Sounds like Bond to me....

Getting a big laugh because his character basically shook the dreamlike-catatonic film up a bit, with the incredibly "witty" idea of pulling out a bigger gun - no, that´s not a testament to Hardy´s ability.  

And this voice... no, really.

#3010 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

At least he's not dating Taylor Swift. 

#3011 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

The anti-Christ... :D

#3012 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:50 AM

The anti-Christ... :D

You know it Dustin!

#3013 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:50 PM

Yep, I don´t like him.

Watch
Inception and this means war both show he can have fun with a role also regarding his voice watch the dark knight rises to see how he can manipulate his voice.

#3014 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

Frankly, I have to admit I'm also a bit at a loss as to Hardy's Bond potential. I find him awesome at times and not of the traditional too-streamlined brand of male actors. He's not afraid to look ugly or unflattering or stupid - but I can't say I think of Bond when I see him. (Besides that, wasn't his voice in the Batman film 'tuned'?)

In Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy he had a role that is vaguely Bond-related - a crash agent out to trawl for possible targets among the opposition - and nothing in his scenes indicates even the slightest whiff of 007. Granted, in that vehicle they set him up with a hideous long-hair wig and clothes directly from a 1972 Soho pimp. But there is also nothing in his demeanour that would invite the comparison.

You could of course - rightfully! - say that Hardy here just isn't playing Bond and it would be unfair to hold that role against him. On the other hand here he is playing the part of a British secret agent dealing with a female Russian opposition operative willing to defect because of him, and I'd argue that kind of story should show traces of Bond, at least in theory. Compare to this the respective parts of the TV adaptation and you'll get what I mean there.

#3015 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

Like I said if you asked me in 2004 who should replace Brosnan my list would of likely been

1. Ewan Mcgregor
2. Adrian Paul
3. Christian Bale
4. Hugh Jackman

Craig came in and did an amazing job so I am pretty flexable but in 2016 if Craig were to depart my choice for bond number 7 are again based on actors I have seen and liked

1. Michael Fassbneder (saw him in X-men Apocolypse and haywire)
2. Tom Hardy ( inception the dark knight rises and this means war)
3. Tom Hiddleston (the night manager)
4. Cillian Murphy (batman begins)

#3016 Irrigator

Irrigator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

If we are going to do lists, mine would be:

1. Henry Cavill (not going to happen, but in The Man From UNCLE he was classic Bond)

2. Tom Hardy (Again, not going to happen, but in Inception he showed great potential to be Bond)

3. Aidan Turner (A realistic option. Not a very original choice, but seems to have everything you'd want from a Bond actor)

4. Matthew Goode (Not a very probable option, but I thought he was fantasic in Stoker. He would have to toughen up a bit)

5. Charlie Hunnam (Dodged the bullet by dropping out of Fifty Shades of Grey. Hunnam is one classic role away of becoming a moviestar)

At this stage Tom Hiddleston seems to be the odds on favorite. I guess he would be a fine choice, although I do feel he is a bit fey. But maybe that could work. I do hope another actor will eventually get the part.

#3017 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:33 AM

At least he's not dating Taylor Swift.

I'm no Swift fan either, but hey, Tom's private life doesn't bother me in the slightest.

#3018 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:46 AM

I actually expect them to choose someone who is not on anyone´s radar right now.

As for Hardy - I don´t even think he would be interested in signing on for a series of movies.  He does not need Bond either and would certainly prefer doing his character roles that get him award attention.

And the last thing EON needs is another actor who has to be convinced again and again to step back into the role.

He would make a good villain or henchman though.

#3019 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

"I don´t want to take another six months out of my life playing James Bond again."

"If they hadn´t been testing other actors we would at least still be talking."

"I have told Cubby that is it and that I´m not available to do the film."

Yes, those are quotes from Roger Moore after his fourth Bond film.

"What did that asshole of an actor have to say?" asked Cubby a journalist (whose father directed Moore in his tv shows and is a good friend) on whether Moore would return as Bond or not.

Hmm, somehow history repeats itself again and again...

#3020 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

Make no mistake Untill the new bond is cast my guess is Craig could come back and note on my list Craig back for 1-2 more would be ideal in my opinion however if he left and we got any of the four I listed it would be less of s dissapointment right now If Hardy or Fassbender was the new bond I would be more then happy.

#3021 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

"I don´t want to take another six months out of my life playing James Bond again."

"What did that asshole of an actor have to say?" asked Cubby a journalist (whose father directed Moore in his tv shows and is a good friend) on whether Moore would return as Bond or not.

You're right on the money there, SAF. As you'll know, they had Brolin in London ready to start shooting OP the following day, That night they finally struck a deal with Moore and poor old Brolin was sent packing - a shame, as he'd have been a decent Bond.

Point being that it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings (or whomever they get to do the theme.... ;) )

#3022 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:58 AM

Like I said if you asked me in 2004 who should replace Brosnan my list would of likely been

1. Ewan Mcgregor
2. Adrian Paul
3. Christian Bale
4. Hugh Jackman

Craig came in and did an amazing job so I am pretty flexable but in 2016 if Craig were to depart my choice for bond number 7 are again based on actors I have seen and liked

1. Michael Fassbneder (saw him in X-men Apocolypse and haywire)
2. Tom Hardy ( inception the dark knight rises and this means war)
3. Tom Hiddleston (the night manager)
4. Cillian Murphy (batman begins)

I think Fassbender (39) and Murphy (40) are probably already too old for the role, if we assume their first movie would come out in 2.5 years' time.

Tom Hardy at 38 is already getting that way. I believe the next Bond actor should be between 32 and 36 for this first.

#3023 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

You're right on the money there, SAF. As you'll know, they had Brolin in London ready to start shooting OP the following day, That night they finally struck a deal with Moore and poor old Brolin was sent packing - a shame, as he'd have been a decent Bond.

Point being that it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings (or whomever they get to do the theme.... ;) )

And to borrow a line from a certain theme song - the opening line indeed - "I've been here before" ;-)

#3024 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

Yes, everything vaguely familiar all in all.

#3025 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hmmm, only difference seems to be BB plays her cards closer to her chest that her dad.

#3026 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

No, all these quotes became public much, much later.  And BB, of course, has to react to the modern news cycle in which everything gets printed or put online.

#3027 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:42 AM

For many years it used to be just rumours you could pick up about behind-the-scenes machinations, you could believe them or not. But direct quotes from Mr M about Mr B or vice versa - nada. Those select few in the know probably knew more but the vast majority of journalists could only guess from the time it took Moore to sign how things on the top floor of Eon house were going or not.

Every once in a while the press started a campaign for some actor to become the new Bond, but I remember only very little actual substantial evidence was ever presented for the need for such an undertaking. And I believe screen tests for Brolin, Neill and others largely went under the radar. Even at the time of the two rival productions no major indiscretions came from Eon/Moore's side as far as I remember. That's why at the time Steve Rubin's book was such a breakthrough, it contained largely material not officially reported until then.

#3028 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

All true. I'm not sure if Craig is likely to return, given what we've heard in recent times. I've kind of given up on it, frankly. But I'd have a big grin on my face if I woke up one day and saw a headline saying 'Craig returns for Bond 25'.

#3029 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:51 AM

If so, then sadly BOND 25 will be released in 2019.  

And that´s why I would immediately fire him now.

#3030 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

What if the Studio distribution negotiations are becoming drawn out and it's in fact Eon that have suggested Craig do other work in the meantime? I don't really know the ins'n outs of the studio deal in the offing, but it occurs to me that if it means that Eon don't have a date B25, then freeing up Craig in the meantime would be the polite thing to do!  Probably wrong, but it's a thought!