42 replies to this topic

#31 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

If people watch that last scene, in which Lazenby performs so great (don't think anybody could have done it better and it's possibly one of the most crucial scenes in the series), how can they say he can't act. I just cannot understand the criticism. Thankfully most fans and even critics admit he did a great job.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I don't understand why Lazenby gets so much criticism for what was, in my mind, a bang-up job. I suppose it stems from the over-used phrease of "his only previous acting work was in a chocolate commercial". Hell, all actors have to start somewhere! There'll be some poor sod out there doing extra work and Starbucks adverts who can act like Laurence Olivier. He just hasn't come to public attention yet. This is what I think occurred with Lazenby - someone who could act perfectly adequately but was bashed for his lack of experience. However I will agree that his attitude off screen was less than professional.

#32 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:31 PM

I personally believe that Lazenby's biggest crime was, that he wasn't Connery and because he wasn't Connery and married his Bond girl, audiences were mortified.

I love OHMSS and thought/think it's a brilliant film. Definitely in my top 5 somewhere. As for Lazenby, he's my 3rd favourite Bond, following Connery and Craig. Lazenby's performance, especially when you consider his lack of acting experience and being the lead in an iconic and large production was pretty damn impressive. Hell, I think Lazenby's gunbarrel walk is the best of them all too.

#33 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

It's like a fine wine. It gets better with age.

As far as the ending goes i've never once shed a single tear.
Go figure.

#34 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

I personally believe that Lazenby's biggest crime was, that he wasn't Connery and because he wasn't Connery and married his Bond girl, audiences were mortified.

I believe you mean his biggest crime is that he isn't Connery.

I know people who hate him because "Connery was better" and "Sean Connery should've been in this one". And then I know three people who flat out refuse to watch it because it doesn't have Sean/Roger/Pierce/Daniel in it. They figure if it was worth watching everyone and their mothers would love it, like they do Sean/Roger/Pierce/Daniel. Oi the headaches people give me...

#35 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Go figure.

Yeah, I hear you'd rather watching a talking parrot. B)

#36 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

When I first saw the film, I didn't cry, but I found myself strangely moved. I couldn't really believe that something that wasn't real would affect me in the way it did. The haunting 'We Have All The Time In The World' was stuck in my head for days. It's just a testament to how well done the end segment is.

#37 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

I completely agree. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is a brilliant Bond movie. One of the best, actually THE best. The atmosphere in that movie is phenomenal, even more so than the other 60's Bond outings.

I also love the idea about it been set at Christmas time. It's the perfect christmas Bond movie. Also, it's lovely to see Bond going out for a Ski on Christmas morning with his future wife.

Fantastic Movie. Brilliantly cast. I wouldn't change it for anything, not even Connery. Lazenby OWNS OHMSS.

#38 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:47 PM

Go figure.

Yeah, I hear you'd rather watching a talking parrot. :tdown:

Yes,i much prefer FYEO & lord knows talking parrots are...uncommon...?
B)

#39 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:43 AM

Go figure.

B)

In the realm of Bond they most certainly are. Parrot in two films, and it only talks in one.

#40 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:06 AM

I'm just impressed that we've got a 2 page thread off of such a simple statement. OHMSS is rough around the edges, but there is a lot to like about it. I'm a huge fan. B)

#41 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:40 AM

Go figure.

B)

In the realm of Bond they most certainly are. Parrot in two films, and it only talks in one.

Well of course after playing such a important part in the story of FYEO Max just wanted a nice simple non speaking role in TLD.
:tdown:

#42 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:41 AM

People hated it that much back in 1969 because they were used to Connery! A change is never easy especially when it's related to maybe the best Bond ever. People hated Lazenby, not the film! That's what I think. And as a result as the years passed everybody loves teh film while the majority of the fans(in my point of view) are still a little doubtfull about Lazenby.

I think fans are more accepting of Lazenby these days. It probably helps that he's out on the convention circuit quite a bit (I got his autograph myself recently, although not in person) and doesn't shy away from his association with the series.

He's still probably the least of the Bond actors, but that's pretty good company and not bad at all on his part considering the shoes he had to fill and the film he had to do it in with no prior film experience.

That's waht I'm saying! Lazenby wasn't an awfull Bond! In fact if he took the part after someone else had filled the Connery gap he'd get a far better reaction from the audience. The problem was that he was placed right afer the storm and everybody went:"Who's that who'll replace Connery?". Nowadays people have seen 6 actors and can judge better than people did back there when they'd only seen Connery.

I wouldn't change it for anything, not even Connery.

If Connery had been on this, producers would have focused on him and leave the atmosphere, the locations out! As a result we'd have an awfull film! It should have been a first timer for it!

#43 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

Considering Connery's shape & age at that point i don't think he would have fit in the film. Considering the marriage i'm glad that the bond in this film is around the same age as his bond girl. I wouldn't have wanted a flabby,balding,greying bond in OHMSS.