#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:23 AM

Collector question here...

On the UK Coronet paperback publication pages for Scorpius and Win, Lose Or Die it states, respectively:

Open Market edition 1988
Coronet edition 1989

and
Open Market edition 1990
Coronet edition 1990

Is this referring to international paperback editions that exist for these two particular books? I don't think I've ever come across either of them before.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:30 PM

Bump - anyone?

#3 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:27 AM

I'm doing my best to look, but thus far I'm unsuccessful in learning what "Open Market Edition", but I'll keep hunting. Meanwhile I suggest trying to get Stromberg in here. Think it was Stromberg anyway who said he used to work for a publishing house or something of the sort. Might know something.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:36 AM

Yes, "open market" would be the International paperbacks, but I've never seen these titles before. I do have the Coronet NLF (blue cover instead of red) and NDMB (no obvious change).

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:53 AM

I do have the Coronet NLF (blue cover instead of red) and NDMB (no obvious change).

I've got the blue and red Coronet paperbacks of Nobody Lives Forever, but can you elaborate on No Deals, Mr. Bond, zen? Is there an International edition similar to the normal gray/blue UK paperback?

#6 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:49 AM

Anyone know why Gardners Bond books went from Cape to Hodder & Stoughton half way through?

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

Anyone know why Gardners Bond books went from Cape to Hodder & Stoughton half way through?

Cape was merged into Hodder, I believe.

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

I do have the Coronet NLF (blue cover instead of red) and NDMB (no obvious change).

I've got the blue and red Coronet paperbacks of Nobody Lives Forever, but can you elaborate on No Deals, Mr. Bond, zen? Is there an International edition similar to the normal gray/blue UK paperback?

Yes, it's exactly the same.

#9 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Qwerty. And are Cape and Gildrose the same? The covers dont look as good as the first six Gardners after this merge.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:57 AM

Thanks Qwerty. And are Cape and Gildrose the same? The covers dont look as good as the first six Gardners after this merge.

Glidrose (now known as Ian Fleming Publications Ltd.) is actually the copyright holding company behind the James Bond books.

The change from Cape to Hodder did indeed mark a change in the cover design (although, to be precise, No Deals, Mr. Bond, the last Cape Bond book, also omitted the wood background design).

#11 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

B) Thank you Qwerty, I am just getting to grips with John Gardners work. I am really enjoying For Special Services at the moment! :tdown:

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

B) Thank you Qwerty, I am just getting to grips with John Gardners work. I am really enjoying For Special Services at the moment! :tdown:

Glad to hear it - his first several books are quite good. After that it becomes a bit of a hit-and-miss game, in my opinion.