113 replies to this topic

#61 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:05 AM

Surely this is the definition of scraping the bottom of the barrel for film ideas. The truly sad thing is that there were actually four studios bidding on this.

Hollywood has officially run out of ideas. B)

Hasn't it? :tdown:

#62 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:06 AM

Surely this is the definition of scraping the bottom of the barrel for film ideas. The truly sad thing is that there were actually four studios bidding on this.

If it wasn't official before this announcement, this is surely confirmation of the fact. What's next, a movie about Monopoly? How about a Pong movie?

#63 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:08 AM

If it wasn't official before this announcement, this is surely confirmation of the fact. What's next, a movie about Monopoly? How about a Pong movie?

I was thinking more of "Cherryland" with Rachel Weisz. :tdown:

#64 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:09 AM

If the script I'm currently working on has anything to say about it, then "yes."

By the way, t, there IS a Monopoly movie in production. No joke.

#65 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:10 AM

If the script I'm currently working on has anything to say about it, then "yes."

Seriously? How the heck are they going to present that? :tdown:

#66 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:11 AM

Perhaps a film of that old pre-Pong technically unnamed "video game" a scientist made to amuse himself when he got bored working with that supercomputer?

#67 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:12 AM

I imagine they all did.

From what I can make out, their lives were completely B)ed by them choosing to spy for the Soviet Union.

They probably had been able to see past the idealism and understand the Soviet Union for what it was long before they had to defect. But, they'd made their bed and they had to lie in it.

True, but is it more of making peace for their souls before they pass for their own satisfaction or more than regret for betraying their country?

#68 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:15 AM

I'd actually be curious to see how a Pong movie would work (just to see what kind of idea a screenwriter could come up with just based on the simple concept of the game), I just simply threw it out there because it was the simplest video game that I could think of.

:tdown:

#69 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:33 AM

http://videogames.ya...t-movie/1336770
Not only is the World of Warcraft movie still in production, it's just signed movie veteran Sam Raimi as director, publisher Blizzard announced today.

Raimi, who directed cult hits like "The Evil Dead," "Army of Darkness," and "Drag Me to Hell" will start filming Warcraft after completing work on Spider-Man 4, reports Variety. And if that's not enough nerd-cred for Warcraft fans, Blizzard also announced they're bringing in the production company behind last year's record-breaking comic-book flick "The Dark Knight."

Movies based on video games haven't typically turned out very well, and that's putting it mildly. But the stars seem to be aligning favorably for this particular venture. Warcraft's world is rich with background lore and deep characters, the game's polished visuals are ripe for a big screen treatment, and Raimi's experience in cross-media productions speaks for itself. And with 12 million subscribers, Warcraft is already a massive hit. Could this be the first game-turned-movie to make it big? You'll have to wait until at least 2010 to find out, but it's hard not to be optimistic.

#70 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:52 AM

Not sure how I feel about that, but I'm really looking forward to this video game based movie:

Tetris: The Movie

#71 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

http://new.music.yah...ching--61991916

'Star Wars in Concert' tour launching
AP, Jul 24, 2009 4:00 am PDT

A worldwide "Star Wars" concert tour will hyperdrive across the planet."Star Wars in Concert" will feature a symphony orchestra and choir performing composer John Williams' music from the six "Star Wars" films. The performances will be narrated live by C-3P0 actor Anthony Daniels and accompanied by a three-story-tall high-definition screen displaying movie footage synchronized to the live music.
"My role is not to be 3P0 in 'Star Wars in Concert,'" said Daniels, who served as master of ceremonies when the concert debuted at London's O2 arena in April. "It is to be the host, to be the narrator. I very simply tell the story in segements. 3P0 certianly features on screen quite a lot, and there are moments on stage when his spirit shines through."

Organizers plan to land the tour in several North American cities before embarking on a global journey. "Star Wars in Concert" will launch at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., on Oct. 1, and make stops in Phoenix, Los Angeles, Sacramento; San Jose, Calif.; Seattle; Portland; Tulsa, Okla.; and Oklahoma City. Other cities will be announced later.

#72 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

I saw him - Anthony Daniels - narrate the 2005 concert a month after the release of Revenge Of The Sith. He wore a cute glittering gold blazer jacket but cut a rather frail, slim figure. Very polite and dignified persona, Mr Daniels.

As I recall, it was a real festive atmosphere pre-concert that evening: R2D2 was tweeting and twirling his little bum all over the place, Darth Vader was looking menacing as he walked the halls, there were Jedi firing up thier light sabres outside the venue and on the street corners and Lord Sidious was sitting back on his thone flanked by two red-robed Imperial guards.

Yes...it was a really fun summer evening, right on the last day of primary school, if I remember. Both my then 9 year old and myself had a grand old time and the music was just rousing.

I still have the evening's programme.

Wondeful memories!

B)

#73 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:25 PM

I hope they announce the other cities soon. I want to know if they'll be coming to Texas.

#74 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:08 PM

Ah, to smell the rarified air off the top of the Layer Cake...if only.

#75 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

http://www.dailymail...rsia-flick.html

Gemma - Prince of Persia
Posted Image

#76 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:35 PM

http://videogames.ya...e-they-/1346074

The average gamer is 35, overweight, and more likely to be depressed, says a new study conducted by researchers at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

The study, which was carried out in the Seattle-Tacoma area, found that gamers reported "lower extraversion, consistent with research on adolescents that linked video-game playing to a sedentary lifestyle and overweight status, and to mental-health concerns."

It also indicated a curious difference between male and female gamers: the former proved more overweight and reported more Internet usage than non-gamer men, while female gamers reported more depression and lower general health than non-gamer women.

But which comes first, the games or the poor health? The researchers hypothesized that depressed individuals might be turning to games as a means of self-medication, immersing themselves in a game's world as a way of forgetting about real-life troubles.

"Habitual use of video games as a coping response may [provide] a genesis for obsessive-compulsive video-game playing, if not video-game addiction," one researcher told MSNBC. The study calls for "further research among adults to clarify how to use digital opportunities more effectively to promote health and prevent disease."

As luck would have it, a study at East Carolina University funded by Bejeweled maker Popcap Games is also investigating the possible mental health benefits of game playing. Having already discovered that Bejeweled can improve mood and heart rhythms, the Carolina group is about to embark on an investigation in an attempt to determine whether games like Bejeweled can also deliver clinically significant improvements to depression sufferers.

"The research is part of a broad array of unconventional efforts that video game companies are devising to find new markets for their products," says Shankar Vedantam, writing this week for the Washington Post. "Many of these steps are based on the idea that depression and other disorders -- as well as everyday stress and worry -- involve systematic patterns of thought and self-doubt, and that games can distract people and put them in a different mental zone."

I take umbridge to this just as that woman did to being called a skank-ho. And is Daniel Craig depressive and overweight..well is he??? Not on your life.And the fact that I have permanent onion ring stains on my Wii/Gameboy is neither here nor there. B) :tdown:

#77 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:49 AM

Weird
B)

http://www.mcall.com...41.photogallery

#78 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:06 AM

*Edit*

#79 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:07 AM

Weird
:tdown:

http://www.mcall.com...41.photogallery

Hic!!!....(ribbit). Sorry I have a frog in my throat. B)

#80 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:14 AM

Good thing I prefer diet Dr Pepper.

#81 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:46 AM

I like my frogs covered in hot chocolate. Pepsi won't do.

#82 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:39 AM

And people thought New Coke was bad.

Did you know New Coke still sells in some areas, under the name (I kid you not) Coke II? I'm going to have to order some of that one of these days and see if it's really as bad as everyone said.

#83 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

Mrs Mharkin told me about this, when I myself was drinking a can. I spat the damn thing out! How in the HELL could something that size get in there!?

#84 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

Mrs Mharkin told me about this, when I myself was drinking a can. I spat the damn thing out! How in the HELL could something that size get in there!?

Well personally I think he hopped in at the canning plant.
But I could be over dramatizing it. B)

#85 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

http://www.dailymail...a-comes-it.html

This is the world's most expensive SUV - but with three bottles of the world's most expensive vodka included in the price tag, it actually appears to be a bargain.

The £1million Dartz Prombron Monaco Red Diamond Edition has gold-plated windows, pure tungsten exhausts, and the speed gauges are encrusted in diamonds.
The seats are not for the squeamish. They are made of one of the softest materials around - leather from a whale's penis.
And, just to send the bling factor right through the roof, this SUV also comes complete with an exterior bulletproof Kevlar coating.

But that's nothing compared to the vodka that comes with it.

Posted Image
Bulletproof: The £1 million Dartz Prombron Monaco Red Diamond Edition armoured car

Posted Image
Luxury: The interior of the car's seats are made of one of the softest materials around - whale penis leather. Speed gauges are encrusted in diamonds
Posted Image
The real bling factor: Buyers of the SUV will also receive three bottles of Russo-Baltique vodka - which retailed last year at £790,000

The car company has thrown three bottles of Russo-Baltique, the vodka brand it created this year to mark its100th anniversary, Motor Authority reported.

Last year, a bottle retailed for £790,000. It is not a meant to be drunk, the company's website explains - instead it should be displayed as art.

That's because the bling of the bottle frankly puts the SUV to shame.

According to the Dartz company's website, the flask, a replica of the radiator guard used for the Russo-Baltique cars, is made from gold coins minted between 1908 and 1912. This is around the time the company manufactured its first car.
The flask cap is made from white and yellow gold and contains a diamond-encrusted replica of the Russian Imperial Eagle.
And finally, the bottle itself is made of bulletproof glass 30cm thick - just in case.
The car - and vodka - were produced especially for the mega-exclusive Top Marques luxury motor show in Monaco next year.

The car is made by the company that produced armoured vehicles for Vladimir Lenin, Leon Trotsky, and Tsar Nicolas.
The seats are indeed of 'real whale penis leather,' says a spokesperson for Dartz Kombat.
'It is inspired by the original playboy Aristotle Onassis' yacht Christina O, which had bar stool seats made from sperm whale foreskin.
'Some people have called us crazy because of this, but we think we must make a luxury car till the end.'

Weighing four tons and powered by a V8 engine capable of 450 horse power, the Pombron's maker also claim the car is 'rocket grenade proof'.
Posted Image
Revolutionary: The SUV is built by the same company that created cars for Tsar Nicolas and Vladimir Lenin

'In the past our customers have included Lenin and his revolutionary partner Trotsky,' explains the Dartz spokesperson.
'In fact we are launching a version of this new model in 2012, just for Latin America.
'This will commemorate the fact that Trotsky was killed in Mexico with an ice pick in 1940.
'As such, the Latin version will come with a gold ice axe to mark this fact.'

Keeping the exact details of the car secret, the Pombron's makers say the SUV will be unveiled to Prince Albert of Monaco at the Top Marques opening in April of next year.

Gulp. B)

#86 Piz Gloria 1969

Piz Gloria 1969

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 414 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:25 AM

Didya hear about that Beirut guy who jumped off a pier and hit concrete....I think his skull literary split in half and there was a hole thru his head.....I didn't even dare to watch it :/

I'm haunted just by reading bout it....also how can some people find this funny ?

#87 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:42 AM

http://www.boardgame...om/image/453352
Daniel lookalike on box.
Posted Image

This game looks cool. Feedback from anyone who gets it please!
Does anyone know if it will be released in the UK with the ability to use UK mobile phones?

#88 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:48 AM

Lol, he looks like Craig spliced with Sly Stallone

#89 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:54 AM

Lol, he looks like Craig spliced with Sly Stallone

Doesnt he? I guess it's not a dead on likeness though so EoN shouldn't be too worried.

The game looks hella cool.

#90 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:03 AM

Been seeing commercials for it for a while. Might be fun, but I dunno, I somehow doubt it's anywhere near as good as the original. Good old fashioned murder involving curiously named persons in an English country manor. Yessireebob.