This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Main reasons for wanting to buy NightFire on PC...

15 replies to this topic

#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 09:30 PM

The main reason for me is the mulitplayer and the fan addons, mods, maps and skins that I'll be able to use :)

#2 BondChick4ever8

BondChick4ever8

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 09:39 PM

That is a good reason, but my computer isn't very fast and its full of other documents. I'm getting a GameCube for Christmas so I'll probably play it on that. Does anyone know when NightFire is released?

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 09:42 PM

The GC version in the US looks set to be released on Nov 21st. That's going by Amazon.com

#4 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 12:41 AM

I'll be getting it on both X-box and PC. You can play Multi on X-box cant you? Being connecting to the net and so-on?

#5 jokemaster

jokemaster

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 01:45 AM

im gettin it on GC and PC

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 04:23 AM

I'm buying the PC version because of the addons that you can get for it, and the multiplayer across networks. That means I can play on the net, or across my home computers. I think the possibilities with the PC version are far superior to that of the consoles.

#7 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 08:19 AM

Yep - anyday - worth sacrificing the driving levels.

#8 newest007

newest007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 12:11 PM

Hey Icephoenix, yes I believe the Xbox has a multiplayer capability however I've seen nothing to indicate that they will include that feature in the game. It looks as if they're trying to make certain aspects across platforms different enough so that people with both will buy a console and PC version. Sneaky marketing people strike again.

#9 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 05:16 PM

Yep, the screenshot from the other post is from the X-Box multiplayer.

AFAIK the console versions are the same except for graphical issues. Each console version has been pushed to it's best with regards to graphics.

#10 newest007

newest007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 11:57 AM

I think there's some misconception regarding the console multiplayer. The Xbox can play on the net but the console mp description says "Over 10 four-player split-screen customizable multiplayer modes including characters and settings from classic James Bond movies." That split-screen reference coupled with the pic above would seem to indicate no internet support for the consoles but you can quad the screen and play against others on the same box.

#11 newest007

newest007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 11:59 AM

Sorry, the "quad screen picture" is not above as I stated it is in another thread in this forum.

#12 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 12:11 PM

But...you can plug in multiple X-Box consoles to have support for more players I believe...

#13 newest007

newest007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 12:20 PM

I'm not a console guy (I spend enough on PC games and a divorce would cut into that funding) but if you could hook up multiple XBox's that would be better. Sports games on split screen are fine but an FPS on a split screen would not be that good. You'd always know where the other people are and take all the fun out of the hunt (at least, that's the part I enjoy about mp FPS's). Now if they incorporated the driving modes promised on the consoles with the multiplayer on a split screen that could be really fun.

#14 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 12:27 PM

Exactly, that's a downside to any Console MP side...I want to be able to sneak up on people and sniper without them knowing where I am.

#15 newest007

newest007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 12:39 PM

It sounds like the multiple Xbox connectivity is a good option then. How does the connection work though, does that enable any game with mp built in to work connected? Or is that an additonal feature that is needs to be coded by the game developers?

I know the Xbox is supposed to be very PC like inside and PC games have various types of multiplayer that sometimes allow say LAN play but not internet play, or just modem play. etc.

#16 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 12:54 PM

I think you have have up to 16 players, each X-Box coping with 4. You link the 4 consoles together with wires at the back of the system...you need 4 TV's as each X-Box displays 4 players...

I'm not sure about the games...I guess a game that says 4+ players can do this sort of thing.