No replies to this topic

#1 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Just a reminder to those in Southern California that the stage production of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang has landed in Costa Mesa at The Orange County Performing Arts Center and runs until July 19th.

I am an unabashed Chitty fan as it was the first film I saw in a theatre at the tender age of four. Needless to say, I was in attendance on opening night in Costa Mesa.

The production is a bit uneven as it re-navigates the film's story points in an effort to bring it cohesively to the stage. Some of these attempts do not work well in my opinion. The post-haircutting machine debacle that leads to "Me Old Bamboo" comes to mind first and foremost as well as the entire framing device of the Potts family's journey to Vulgaria.

For the most part, the original musical arrangements are treated with great respect. Notably absent is "Oh, What A Lovely, Lonely Man." It is replaced by a couple of new tunes (a rhumba of sorts and a recurring theme about teamwork). Neither of these new tunes are memorable and in the case of the rhumba boring and unnecessary. The tune "Truly Scrumptious" is also given a bit of an up tempo facelift. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. Sure the movie is heavy with melancholic ballads but that is one of the elements that makes Chitty so fantasmagorical!

Having said all that, I must say that I was very happy that I attended this production as the singing voices and the technical aspects of the show are terrific. Chitty does fly and it is glorious! The audience went nuts! The two Vulgarian spies and the baron and baroness nearly stole the show!

If there is still a part of you that still believes that a car besides Scaramanga's can fly, then I say plunk your money down for a ticket. Ultimately, I was glad I did.

http://www.ocpac.org...a...18&NavID=85

Edited by Solex Agitator, 10 July 2009 - 09:15 PM.