This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED)

2673 replies to this topic

Poll: Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED) (305 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Adeles 'Skyfall'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#2671 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:58 AM

IMO, brass MAKES a Bond theme.

Take all the over-used electric guitar twangs in the Brosnan era as it started to sound like a pastiche of the Bond theme whenever they cropped up with that horrid spy-esque riff EVERY other minute. 'Tomorrow Never Dies' is one of the worst offenders.

Brass and strings. Power, depth and a real danger to them, but also beautiful and melodic. You can't beat orchestral over electric any day and that's why I loved the classic sound to 'Skyfall' even more.

Call me crazy but I would have to liked to have heard more of these "over-used guitar twangs" in Skyfall. It WAS the 50th anniversary, after all.

Why can't we have both brass and strings AND guitar twangs? That fellow John Barry Pendergast used to be pretty good about incorporating all of these things together, as I recall.

Edited by dtuba, 13 September 2014 - 01:00 AM.

#2672 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

I would love to get a theme song for BOND 24 which (I hope) will be completely different from the dark and melodramatic SKYFALL.

A sunny, laid-back and entertaining song like "Nobody does it better", for example.  No obvious Bond theme alluded to, no clichéd brass or guitar - just a jolly good song which nevertheless says: relax, this is Bond.

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 13 September 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#2673 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:27 PM

Should Adele return, I'd welcome something more akin to her "Rumour Has It" - Haunting, but catchy and using a driving beat.

#2674 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:45 AM

Should Adele return, I'd welcome something more akin to her "Rumour Has It" - Haunting, but catchy and using a driving beat.

If Adele is back that would be a good idea. Skyfall was a straight up ballad. I'd prefer a different tone this time.