27 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:35 AM

Only two chapters in but I am rather enjoying it so far. I've never had a problem with Gardner's writing like some of you do, so I think I'll do ok.

Incidentally this starts my oddyssey to read all of Gardner's Bond novels...wish me luck.

#2 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:57 AM

Good luck! I've always enjoyed John Gardner's novels, despite the fact that they're quite a different experience than Ian Fleming's works. Here's hoping you enjoy them, and that you'll post some of your thoughts as you read.

#3 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:26 AM

Good luck! I've always enjoyed John Gardner's novels, despite the fact that they're quite a different experience than Ian Fleming's works. Here's hoping you enjoy them, and that you'll post some of your thoughts as you read.

The sole Garnder novel I did read was an enjoyable experience. I'd rather have a whole new experience reading a Bond novel than have Fleming lite.

#4 right idea, wrong pussy

right idea, wrong pussy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:35 AM

Good luck! I'm going to my local library tomorrow to take out "Zero Munus Ten" and do the same thing with Benson that you are doing with Gardner (I've finished all of the Fleming and figured that Benson was less of a time investment at first than Gerdner will be when I get to him).

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:48 AM

If you havent read Zero Minus Ten yet you're in for a real treat. I always thought it was a great novel, in fact I'm pretty sure it was the first Bond novel I ever read. Benson does tend to get a bit explicit in his sex scenes though, and his story structure is closer to the films than a Fleming thriler, but it's still a good read.

Couldnt tell you about the other Benson novels though, I never read em.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:59 AM

License Renewed is fine book. Many of the Gardner novels are very enjoyable Bond adventures. Enjoy. B)

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:13 AM

Icebreaker is my favorite...it's Gardner's goldfinger. .I'd love to see Eon use the title and some of the story elements(there's a GREAT torture scene that screams Daniel Craig!) B)

#8 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:24 AM

Enjoy JimmyB - It's a fine novel and just remember it is of the era it's written in. Wait until you get to For Special Services. B)

Tarl - I echo you thoughts on Icebreaker - I always envisioned James Coburn playing Tirpitz. :tdown:

#9 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

Death is Forever happens to be the only Gardner I've actually read all the way through, I found it quite enjoyable so I figure Gardner can't be all that bad B)

We shall see though.

#10 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

I like all the Gardner books. I just do and I did have the fun of being there from the start.

Sure, I could critique each one one pro and con, but he gave the literary series a good shot of life. The funny part is that a lot of the elements from those novels somehow ended up being incorporated here and there into the films.

When you get to Role of Honour, there's a computer game battle between Bond and the villain that was apparently changed because it was too close to the video battle between Bond and Largo in NSNA.

Carry on good man. Carry on. The first three Gardner's are solid IMO.

#11 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Licence Renewed or For Special Services. They are far better than Gardner's later stuff, any Benson and certainly Devil May Care.

Sure, Gardner - even in his early books - isn't writing about Ian Fleming's James Bond. But then, none of the continuations novelists are writing about Fleming's Bond - NOT EVEN CHARLIE HIGSON.

With these restrictions in mind - as a non-Fleming - Licence is a perfect "Bond" novel, unlikely many, many others.

#12 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:10 AM

Wish me luck.

You'll need it with the Gardner abominations...

#13 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

Agreed.

I find Gardner’s novels typically uninspired and boring.

#14 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

Good luck. I've been working on this, on and off, for a couple of years - next up is The Man From Barbarossa. I suspect you'll start to sag after a while, but many of Gardner's early books, including For Special Services, Icebreaker, Nobody Lives For Ever and Scorpius, are enjoyable continuation novels.

#15 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

Next up is The Man From Barbarossa.

The memory of wading through that bloody book to the bitter end will haunt me for the rest of my days...

#16 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

The memory of wading through that bloody book to the bitter end will haunt me for the rest of my days...

I'm aware of its reputation, so I'm keen to see what I think of it. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but know that I'll most likely find myself crushed to discover it's every bit as awful as it's said to be.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:31 PM

Best of luck, Jimmy. The nice thing with the Gardner series is that if you read them in chronological order, you get a nice assortment of his better Bond adventures right at the beginning. Licence Renewed, For Special Services, Icebreaker and Nobody Lives Forever are all some of his best. After that there are some hits and misses.

Have to agree. It was a chore to get through that book at times.

#18 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

Good luck with it!

#19 DouglasJ

DouglasJ

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

Best of luck, Jimmy. The nice thing with the Gardner series is that if you read them in chronological order, you get a nice assortment of his better Bond adventures right at the beginning. Licence Renewed, For Special Services, Icebreaker and Nobody Lives Forever are all some of his best. After that there are some hits and misses.

Have to agree. It was a chore to get through that book at times.

Took me three attempts to get through it myself.

#20 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

So what are everyone's opinions on Death is Forever? I know it's a late Gardner, and I do remember enjoying it, so I can't help that I'll probably even enjoy the most mediocre of Garnder.

#21 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

So what are everyone's opinions on Death is Forever? I know it's a late Gardner, and I do remember enjoying it, so I can't help that I'll probably even enjoy the most mediocre of Garnder.

See No Deals, Mr Bond and change some of the names.

Well, the first half dozen are pretty jolly but things go a smidge off at Scorpius - probably familiarity with the routines - and then there is, admittedly, a dramatic tailing off.

#22 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

I suppose if I'm being absolutely fair, Death Is Forever is one of the Gardners that offended me least. That said, they do all tend to merge into a mediocre pudding now as it's years since I picked one up, even though I have most (all?) as first edition hardbacks.

#23 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

This is actually more interesting as I was waiting to hear about the "dark" side of Gardner B)

That's why I said "Wish me luck" (with tongue firmly in cheek of course).

#24 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

Awesome man! I love Gardner's work on the series, I can't say I hated any of his books, I would even say I love many of them (the first 4 being the best examples).

#25 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:36 PM

I can't say I've ready any of Gardners novels, so I can't really comment. I came across Scorpius lying on the shelf the other day, I might give it a whirl after a finish Thunderball. Which, may I say, Is wonderful. Now that i've got into it.

#26 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

I like John Gardner's novels--all of them--although some a lot more than others. I think his best ones are License Renewed through Win, Lose Or Die and Death Is Forever which I think is far and away the best novel from the latter half of his run and which ranks in my top five Gardner's. My favorite novel of his is Nobody Lives Forever which is an absolutely terrific book--right up there with the best of Fleming--while my least favorite is The Man From Barbarossa.

Good luck in your assignments JimmyBond and Dark, and enjoy.

#27 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

This is actually more interesting as I was waiting to hear about the "dark" side of Gardner B)

The odd thing is that I actually like a lot of Gardner's non-Bond books. His thriller The Dancing Dodo is one of my favourite books. But I found his Bond books ghastly, to be honest.

#28 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:44 PM

I'm aware of its reputation, so I'm keen to see what I think of it. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but know that I'll most likely find myself crushed to discover it's every bit as awful as it's said to be.

This is the book that Gardner liked best.
It is one of his best and certainly the most interesting. It is the only one that breaks the formula and takes risks(for the first two thirds).