76 replies to this topic

#31 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:56 AM

I let my martial arts training inform my fitness and look. Functional muscle tuned to a purpose ya know. Though there's one bodybuilder I envy, Reg Park, the dude was perfect.
Oh, let me know how that P90X works for you. I'm always curious hwo those infomercial things actually work ... from what I've seen what the guy is talking about B) Kenpo Karate looks like he had 1 class in kenpo and didn't pay attention. A bud of mine (Kenpo instructor) saw the infomercial and busted out laughing.

Agreed. Frank Zane was also perfection, imo.

Sorry guys, Steve Reeves was the man!.....who btw turned down the role of James Bond in Dr. No. :tdown:

#32 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

Steve Reeves is awesome dude.

#33 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:40 PM

James Bond shouldn't be very muscular! Daniel Craig had lots of muscles in CR, but he corrected it in QoS.

For the record that's how Bond should be!

Posted Image

The body I mean! B)

#34 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image

How can anyone look at this and attribute this physique to roids. Craig's figure before was slight and by CR, he had put on weight and gained musclemass and simply toned up. To get Craig's body isn't hard if you're in fairly good shape to begin with and u don't need roids to get it.

#35 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

Posted Image

Haha. This picture brings back memories. I still remember the headline accompianing this picture in the papers.

"Bond Goldfingers his Thunderballs!"

B) :tdown:

#36 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:55 PM

Funny double o ego, my first impression is that Craig looks less "big" on the CR pics with the black trunks than on the ones with the blue ones.

Still, he should do something about the crabs, it's unattractive! B)

#37 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

I hate when people suddenly jump the the "steroids" thing anytime they see anyone in shape. I get it from time to time, it's called working out every day, if you would get off your B) maybe you wouldnt be a fat mess and actually look presentable too. Besides, there are many specific things you can look for to tell the difference between natural and steroids. Read here - http://classicphysiq.....Like Physique

#38 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:51 PM

I hate when people suddenly jump the the "steroids" thing anytime they see anyone in shape. I get it from time to time, it's called working out every day, if you would get off your B) maybe you wouldnt be a fat mess and actually look presentable too. Besides, there are many specific things you can look for to tell the difference between natural and steroids. Read here - http://classicphysiq.....Like Physique

Craig got himself in shape by sheer hard work and dedication to the role. I did read he was working out before he was offered the role and figured if he didnt get Bond then he would see another few Xmas dinners at least. Of course having the access to great gyms. personal trainers, dieticians, the thought/motivation of possibly playing Bond etc helps but you still have to get your :tdown: in there.
I think his build was better in QoS, he looks better a little leaner. He moves better and it makes the man look taller and his head smaller. Much better all around.
I think at the moment he is working out as maybe a few pounds have piled on (why not, good times right?) so I cant see any major difference for him in the next Bond (whenever that starts filming).
:tdown:

#39 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

I hear you man. It's the whole "steroids" platitude that people (mostly out of shape ones) use when they see someone in shape. I've gotten it, and so have many of my friends. As if to say if you are not a fat out of shape looser you must be a drug user. I've trained in karate for 22 of my 28 years as well as high school soccer, tennis and college swim team yet I see this echoed across the general populous when they look at people within the physical culture. If you are in shape you must be on drugs and you must have roid rage issues. In the link I posted above you can clearly see marked differences in the results of natural V. chemically enhanced physiques.

#40 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:39 PM

A recent pic of Craig at the gym:

Posted Image

Crying out loud. Dude's sack must look like an empty balloon.

Well here's a little something that was sent to me. Do not know the original source. Sorry.
Venice during CR filming. No idea who the umm...female is though. :tdown:
Posted Image

I did actually use the term " 'roid look" in an earlier post. Didn't mean to offend OmarB. B)

#41 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

No, it was warranted then, that dude's insane!

#42 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

:tdown:
You work out I gather from your previous posts.
Any certain diet you follow too? B)

#43 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

Posted Image

He looks like a waxwork! B)

#44 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

Posted Image

He looks like a waxwork! :)

Well he did have an intensive workout by the looks of the sweat...can't blame the guy if he does. :tdown:
Not too sure about old Fatima Whitbread beside him..maybe his trainer there? B)
Bigger biceps than he's got. :tdown:

#45 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:26 PM

Nothing special. I don't do supplements or any dietary additives or special shakes ... ever seen those bottles, huge! Basically cover the 4 food groups, eat extra protein and carbs after a workout. It amounts to an extra piece or two of chicken and an extra potato. I never got this obsession with diet, just eat natural, stay away from chemicals.

#46 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

Nothing special. I don't do supplements or any dietary additives or special shakes ... ever seen those bottles, huge! Basically cover the 4 food groups, eat extra protein and carbs after a workout. It amounts to an extra piece or two of chicken and an extra potato. I never got this obsession with diet, just eat natural, stay away from chemicals.

Yes protein helps repair after work outs, I hear.
I do the protein shakes but eat quite well apart from the odd chicken korma takeout.
I went vegan for awhile but didnt agree with me. It bored me to tears.
Thanks for the info. :tdown:

#47 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:37 AM

When I was actively competing in karate my sensei has me and the whole team go fully vegetarian so even now these years after my diet's still pretty clean/natural. I've just added back in go meats, beef, fish, chicken. Just stay away from preservatives, have a pile of protein, carbs and fruit in the morning and eat smart through the day. The whole, supplements, protein shakes, etc never appealed to me, same as the weight lifting never appealed to me, if the Greeks or the Japanese could be in such great shape eating naturally and using body weight exercises, isometrics and dynamic tension why spend so much money on stuff that's been proven for thousands of years unnecessary?

#48 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:46 AM

When I was actively competing in karate my sensei has me and the whole team go fully vegetarian so even now these years after my diet's still pretty clean/natural. I've just added back in go meats, beef, fish, chicken. Just stay away from preservatives, have a pile of protein, carbs and fruit in the morning and eat smart through the day. The whole, supplements, protein shakes, etc never appealed to me, same as the weight lifting never appealed to me, if the Greeks or the Japanese could be in such great shape eating naturally and using body weight exercises, isometrics and dynamic tension why spend so much money on stuff that's been proven for thousands of years unnecessary?

You make very good points there. I guess it's all money orientated now as well which doesnt help when you walk into a gym.
Talk about oversell. B)
I'm in pretty good shape but need to get limber a bit more.

#49 Manticore

Manticore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:32 AM

Well well ! B) How many killers we have here !...

#50 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

Interesting stuff. Is Ronnie Coleman pregnant in this pic?

http://4.bp.blogspot...roncoleman1.jpg

#51 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

Oh, let me know how that P90X works for you. I'm always curious hwo those infomercial things actually work ... from what I've seen what the guy is talking about B) Kenpo Karate looks like he had 1 class in kenpo and didn't pay attention. A bud of mine (Kenpo instructor) saw the infomercial and busted out laughing.

I don't have it, but a co-workers husband uses it and loves it. My co-worker didn't like it that much, she said it was too hard.

Too hard! LOL. That my friends is why most people are fatties. Exercise is too hard.

That may not have been what the poster meant. I exercise regularly at a gym that uses resistance machines, but there are a couple of machines I avoid because they're too hard on my knees. I have bad knees; just the way it is. Using machines like a stepper just puts me in a state where climbing stairs is painful, and that's not really the effect we want to achieve with exercise, eh? So I avoid those machines, and work harder on the others.

If you say so. I work through the pain. I replaced my right knee at 16 after a huge injury training for a karate tournament yet I still train 3 weeknights and all Saturday. In my eyes pain is never a reason ... but then my working out is all about pain.

Different strokes, and all. For me, that's going by my doctor's and trainers' advice: If it hurts, don't do it. Do something, but not that. Pain is your body's way of telling you don't do that. For most people, the whole "no pain, no gain" attitude is a fast track to injury. The advice I get, in terms of the average person keeping in good physical condition, is to consistently do a combination of aerobic and strength-training exercise. It doesn't have to be the regimen of an Olympic or professional athlete, just something that's consistent and focuses on the entire body. And, by the way, that doesn't have to happen in a gym; it can be through a combination of yard work, walking and doing things that we all have available to us, free of charge. It just has to be consistent.

#52 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

I don't have it, but a co-workers husband uses it and loves it. My co-worker didn't like it that much, she said it was too hard.

Too hard! LOL. That my friends is why most people are fatties. Exercise is too hard.

That may not have been what the poster meant. I exercise regularly at a gym that uses resistance machines, but there are a couple of machines I avoid because they're too hard on my knees. I have bad knees; just the way it is. Using machines like a stepper just puts me in a state where climbing stairs is painful, and that's not really the effect we want to achieve with exercise, eh? So I avoid those machines, and work harder on the others.

If you say so. I work through the pain. I replaced my right knee at 16 after a huge injury training for a karate tournament yet I still train 3 weeknights and all Saturday. In my eyes pain is never a reason ... but then my working out is all about pain.

Different strokes, and all. For me, that's going by my doctor's and trainers' advice: If it hurts, don't do it. Do something, but not that. Pain is your body's way of telling you don't do that. For most people, the whole "no pain, no gain" attitude is a fast track to injury. The advice I get, in terms of the average person keeping in good physical condition, is to consistently do a combination of aerobic and strength-training exercise. It doesn't have to be the regimen of an Olympic or professional athlete, just something that's consistent and focuses on the entire body. And, by the way, that doesn't have to happen in a gym; it can be through a combination of yard work, walking and doing things that we all have available to us, free of charge. It just has to be consistent.

Well the "no pain, no gain" thing is a misused statement. Pushing and motivating yourself is one thing but exercising knowing you are probably making any injury worse is foolhardy.
Consistency in moderation I think. :tdown:

#53 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

Well the "no pain, no gain" thing is a misused statement. Pushing and motivating yourself is one thing but exercising knowing you are probably making any injury worse is foolhardy.
Consistency in moderation I think. B)

Exactly. Also, there's a difference between muscle pain, which is generally normal after exerting oneself beyond the norm, and joint, nerve and other types of pain, which is a warning from the body. I have neck and shoulder stiffness that's actually relieved and improved with exercise. My husband has sciatica and is in a similar boat. Yet we both have to be careful not to overdo, or do the wrong types of exercises, or we end up exacerbating those conditions. So I guess the thing is to listen to what your body is telling you.

Edited by byline, 08 June 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#54 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

Nope, but he might as well say he is cuz he's got the huge 'roid gut. Actually it's usually the first thing I look for to see if someone's using. Notice Stallone didn't take his shirt off in the last Rambo movie? You did however see the excessive sub dermal veins and the thickness of his trunk that scream user. I'm not saying he's all about the juice, but he's taken a few hits at some point in the months before filming.

As for the no, pain no gain thing. as pointed o0ut there's a normal amount of pain/burning that goes with a good workout and it's different from join pain, nerve pain or something being torn loose. I find the people who use the "Pain says something is wrong" argument are the ones who are less in shape anyways. Pain is the great signifier of something being wrong, but some use to as a reason to not do a thing.

#55 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

I think DC looked great in both CR and QoS. Either physique is fine for the role of Bond in my opinion.

OmarB have you posted pictures of yourself here at CBn yet? Post on this thread http://debrief.comma...p...=52710&st=0 so that we can check out your excellent physique. If you have some photos practicing your martial arts, those would be nice to see as well. I expect you have some championship photos you would like to share with us.

Cheers,

4A

#56 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:38 PM

LOL, I'll get some posted up soon. As for martial arts stuff, all I have are my uniforms, my trophies are all with my parents ... you know how parents can get with their kid's awards. You said excellent physique, that made me chuckle, I'm sure DC was more buff than I in CR.

Edited by OmarB, 09 June 2009 - 06:43 AM.

#57 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

I find the people who use the "Pain says something is wrong" argument are the ones who are less in shape anyways. Pain is the great signifier of something being wrong, but some use to as a reason to not do a thing.

Well, I have trainers who are in great shape and say that, so. . . .

In the general public, there's a misperception about pain always signaling injury, which of course is not always the case. In my husband's case, the damaged spinal discs are as injured as they're going to get, so when his pain intensifies, it's not a signal of more injury (hence, he's "doing something" to himself), but a signal of the sciatic nerve being compressed more, which happens for a variety of reasons, none of them being increased injury to the discs, themselves. As his physiotherapist says, "Pain is a great liar."

Still, if the pain is so bad that he can barely walk, then that's hardly heading in the right direction, eh?

So we have to be careful to interpret pain in the correct way, and that means being educated about what the signals we're receiving really mean, and what to do about them. As you say, many people interpret pain as a sign to stop moving altogether, but of course that leads to muscle weakness, which further exacerbates pain, which leads to a further decrease in activity . . . which keeps that circle going round and round. In almost every case, the answer is not to stop moving, but to keep moving in the correct way.

#58 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

Ok, but I did point out that there's a marked difference in pain from muscle tissue breaking down in a workout which is normal and things like bone pain, nerve pain, organ pain. You musta missed that part, but if it's his spine then fine, but that's a totally different flavor of pain than muscle building pain.

#59 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

Ok, but I did point out that there's a marked difference in pain from muscle tissue breaking down in a workout which is normal and things like bone pain, nerve pain, organ pain. You musta missed that part, but if it's his spine then fine, but that's a totally different flavor of pain than muscle building pain.

No, actually, I was expanding on that to agree with that part of what you said. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I think it's important that the general public be able to make that distinction, which I guess is why I felt compelled to harp on it some more.

Edited by byline, 09 June 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#60 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:46 PM

Nope, but he might as well say he is cuz he's got the huge 'roid gut. Actually it's usually the first thing I look for to see if someone's using. Notice Stallone didn't take his shirt off in the last Rambo movie? You did however see the excessive sub dermal veins and the thickness of his trunk that scream user. I'm not saying he's all about the juice, but he's taken a few hits at some point in the months before filming.

Well, he did take his shirt off in the last Rocky movie, which was made just one year before the Rambo flick.

I don't think he was "juicing", but he's admitted to taking human growth hormone and testosterone in preparation for RAMBO.

http://www.usatoday....h-hormone_N.htm

Supposedly, Craig took creatine, glutamine and whey protein for CASINO ROYALE:

http://weightlossand...ielcraigworkout