Will add more, later; sorry. :(

#242 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:54 PM

Saw it last night at a studio screening and thought it was excellent; probably my favourite movie of the entire series;
It's certainly one of the best directed and best written, and perhaps more importantly, from the leads, it's probably the best acted.
The second half (from Ron leaving the tent; and no Grint for 30 minutes was a major bonus) is very strong and the stuff between just Radcliffe and Watson maybe the best scenes of the series.
Desplatt's score if wonderful and the whole feel of the film is rich and deep. I've not been a fan of the last couple of installments, but for me this is a huge improvement; I'm not sure if getting the plot away from hogwarts is the key, but it just feels so much more involving.
I'll be really surprised if any fans dont love it, and those who are indifferent, may find this one quite refreshing.

#243 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One

I've always been a massive fan of the Harry Potter series, but I felt the series really lost something after Goblet of Fire. Order of the Phoenix and The Half Blood Prince were decent entries to the series, but they felt rather dull and uninspired. Though I found the final act of Half Blood Prince fantastic, and probably the best final half hour of the series. Now, we come to Deathly Hallows part one. My biggest concern with this, prior to the screening was the idea of David Yates directing. I personally find him rather boring, BUT with Deathly Hallows he actually hits the nail on the head. There's some really awkward moments, but overall it's more than a solid entry to the series. The reason I think Yates has made a success of this is because it's so different. It's a road movie. No Hogwarts. No Teachers. No Dumbledore. No safety. It's fantastic.

Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson really do give their best performances of the series. Plus, we FINALLY get the Harry Potter theme music in an action cue. Something I've always wanted to hear. The first 20 minutes are absolutely delicious, though I would've like to see more of the Dursleys. I always wanted to see the moment where Vernon, Petunia and Dudley come to an understanding with Harry. There's some really brilliant and touching scenes present in Hallows. I especially loved the scenes set in and around Godric's Hollow as well, one of the highlights of the movie for me. I really enjoyed the mini pre-titles sequence, too. Beautifully directed. It was brilliant to see Alan Rickman also, even if it was for a few minutes. Severus Snape is my favorite character in the entire series, and during his entire scene I was sitting with an insane grin on my face. I'm glad to say he didn't feel missed at all, though. The film flowed perfectly. Some reviews I read stated that they found most of the countryside stuff boring. I'm the complete opposite, I actually thought the scenes were a refreshing change from the usual Hogwarts locations. In fact, most of the cinematography was stunning.

Overall, a fantastic entry to the series, one of the best. There was some stuff the film makers decided not to include that bugged me, but they were quite faithful to the book overall, so I'm alright with it. Eagerly awaiting Part Two.

:****.:

#244 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

Whilst I will not eat my wizard's hat for fear of looking like a wizard's sleeve, this seventh chapter of the Potter series is indeed a marked improvement.

It's still a bloated affair containing arrogant chunks of Rowling-appeasing nothingness and echoes the series irritating habit of avoiding conclusions and progression in favour of lame legend-making and an almost clinical obsession with introducing multiple back stories that continually unbalance the foreground events at every turn. The country scenes are woefully indulgent and desperately needed condensing. Quite simply, the actors do not have the gravitas or presence to make that being on the run motif remotely work - so all you are left with is a protracted realisation of the clues at play that are just not that interesting. But saying that there are some lovely moments in and around the tent. A sweet and un-Potter like musical moment is lovingly played and exhibits what the films have missed for a long while ...heart and pathos.

Whilst the acting is far from brilliant (Radcliffe just cannot act - you can see the acting cogs spinning in every scene), Watson is less irritating and the performances end up being capable rather than a hindrance. The cameo-ing is thankfully at a minimum with a refreshing return of former faces rather than too many and jarring new ones.

A telling moment in this film are the opening death bells where the grim events of the wider narrative dictate abandonment and escape. This is what the films and probably the books should have been braver to depict long ago. The whole cleansing of the Mudbloods has its obvious echoes and should have affected the trinity of characters more than it did. HERMIONE is a Mudblood. The Mudbloods are being hunted down and tortured. That could have been this and the last film's shining moment to leave the episodic confines of the books behind and really see HERMIONE herself suffer (the film has a searing opening motif of her having to erase herself from her family's memories and photo frames). A suggested approach would be to take the Third Reich propoganda angle the film does employ via the Ministry Of Magic and be bold enough to bring in concentration camps of a type with a hunted down and wrongly trialed HERMIONE overcoming that suffering, gathering some cohorts and answers along the way and helping HARRY's story from a different angle. The tired mantra "yes, but these are kids films" is a poor excuse for not bringing real dilemma, politics, tragedy and personal bravery to the series. And the annoying thing is that the films do have that dark streak. HALLOWS itself opens with a pained demise of a tortured Hogwarts staff member. The films needed more of that sadism and personal urgency - especially as the characters and the audience are meant to be getting older.

HALLOWS is quite successful at bringing the over-abundant characters together - though that is luck more than judgment. DOBBIE the house elf is beautifully introduced and used sparingly enough to actually steal the film. The scenes at the end of the film with DOBBIE are genuinely heartfelt, see CGI working rather than hindering a la GOLLUM and provides the film with a dignity the series just hasn't had much before (to its detriment).

There is a brilliant desolation to HALLOWS - one which is only let down when yet more back story is introduced. The animation sequence is fantastic and something the series should have used and condensed itself with throughout (i.e. varying European animation styles to put over what 40 minutes of screen time really doesn't need to). JK Rowling is not a good author. She may be skilled at creating worlds and dressing them with a English tourist board whimsy, but she is very undisciplined. It is very apparent that the books' successes meant she did not or would not listen to a book editor so the stories unnecessarily ramble and roam. Sadly the films - which could have improved on the books structural obesities - reflect that. Even in HALLOWS we still see VOLDEMORT meddling from afar, not having his game upped much from the second film. It was surely not the case but the recent films just feel like Ralph Fiennes was not available for shooting.

I was pleasantly surprised by HALLOWS. It gets the Potter world out of the studio and literally on the run. There is some beautiful photography when the film hits the British countryside - sparse fields, motorway hangovers, pylons and cold beaches. David Yates has done a better job at the helm than he did in PHOENIX or HALF BLOOD PRINCE. The film's should have seen a better more intuitive director in charge full stop. Terry Gilliam, Guillermo Del Toro or even Tim Burton would have made a brilliant Potter film - which is a beat the films sorely missed. They could have been powerhouse separate entities rather than repetitive pantomimes. With the exception of Alfonso Cuaron, the series has had very workmanlike directors, probable Yes Men in the Warner / Rowling universe. At least Yates is British. And HALLOWS feels British. London is the real London, not the London of CGI mats and Leavesden Studios.

Unlike GOBLET OF FIRE which brilliantly hit the ground running but then tripped over itself, HALLOWS does keep that pace apart from taking far too long in the country. It is still a series nearly derailed by more interesting characters on the edges (eg. the older scarred Weasley brother holds fascinating promise that briefly makes you more curious for him than the fore characters) but there was a refreshing emotional clarity to HALLOWS, a cause and effect realisation that has been missed for a while and a pleasing lack of budgetary bombast. Though I did miss Maggie Smith.

#245 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:25 PM

I'm very glad you enjoyed it, Zorin! I missed Maggie Smith, too. I think it was a wise move though, not introducing Hogwarts or any familiar faces until Part two. It adds to the urgency. I really do hope they show exactly how bad Hogwarts is, in the next one though. I really fancy seeing some scenes of Snape ruling the school.

#246 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

I'm very glad you enjoyed it, Zorin! I missed Maggie Smith, too. I think it was a wise move though, not introducing Hogwarts or any familiar faces until Part two. It adds to the urgency. I really do hope they show exactly how bad Hogwarts is, in the next one though. I really fancy seeing some scenes of Snape ruling the school.

By the looks of the trailer, Part 2 is going to be one action-packed film. Loved part 1, definitely the best Potter film, and sticks close to the book. Here's my review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 review

I must say, Radcliffe, Watson and Grint acted very well for once.

#247 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

I've seen all the Potter flicks, but I'm not sure I'll bother to see this one, or its follow-up, in theaters. Not only did I dislike the book, but friends keep telling me that it's a pretty dreary, dull outing.

#248 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:41 PM

I'm still disappointed that John Williams isn't coming back... :(

#249 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

I'm still disappointed that John Williams isn't coming back... :(

Not missed at all, I think Desplatt's score may be the best of the entire series...

#250 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

I wasn't really bothered with the score before I saw the film, but listening to it in surround sound, was fantastic. Plus...

2:01. BRILLIANT! I always wanted the Potter theme in an action cue.

#251 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

Just bumping up this thread! Going to see Part Two later this week, at a midnight screening. Cannot wait at all. The reviews have been very positive, too. It's essentially a war movie, so excited.

Looking forward to see Rickman as well! A brilliant actor!

#252 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

Just bumping up this thread! Going to see Part Two later this week, at a midnight screening. Cannot wait at all. The reviews have been very positive, too. It's essentially a war movie, so excited.

Looking forward to see Rickman as well! A brilliant actor!

I saw it at the weekend
I didnt think it was as good as DH1 (My fave of the entire series) but it was very strong;
I thought all the Snape stuff, especially the flashback scene was really well handled and the action scenes well done without overwhelming the more emotional parts of the story. I thought it was a pretty good way to end the series.
The 3-D was ok, nothing special, but the pic does look nice and Desplatt's score was excellent again.
Maggie Smith had a couple of nice moments and there are some nice humourous moments from time to time.
I'm not going to say anymore to avoid spoilers but i'd easily reccomend; it does really feel like DH1+2 are one long film;
I know a lot of places are showing them together on Thurs night, that would be a good way to see them.

#253 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

I agree that it wasn't as good as DH1. Instead of calling it DH2, they should have called this movie "HARRY POTTER AND THE BATTLE OF HOGSWARTS". Following the trip to Gringotts Bank, the movie focused at least 85-95% of the film on the Battle of Hogswarts. And while many may have enjoyed this non-stop stream of battle sequences and slo-motion action, it annoyed me. Worse, they set up some narrative information regarding Dumbledore and the Elder Wand in DH1 and completely ignored it in DH2. Very annoying.

#254 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part Two (SPOILERS)

After so many years of being a Potter fan, reading the books and watching the movies, I thought it would be appropriate to attend a midnight screening for the final chapter. Clocking in at just over 2 hours, Hallows Part Two is by far one of the strongest of the series. Growing up with Potter and watching Radcliffe, Grint and Watson on the screen for 10 years really has given me an emotional bond to this movie series, that won't go away, even though I find their performances irritating in places, and have done since the start of the series, I just can't not enjoy it.

Without a doubt though, in my eyes, Alan Rickman completely steals the show in this one. I've loved Snape ever since the start, and he has become my favourite character in the series, and seeing everything happen last night really makes me appreciate him a lot more as an actor. He is brilliant, and I couldn't stop myself from getting rather emotional at 'The Princes Tale'. Perfectly acted, and performed.

The Battle of Hogwarts is indeed a brilliant sequence, taking up most of the movie. It was fantastic to witness really. Seeing many of our favourite characters fight, and in some cases, die, really did give me goosebumps. Although, bar
Spoiler
I felt some of the deaths didn't have that much of an emotional impact, most happened off screen which didn't really help matters. It was nice to see Maggie Smith in place, and it was brilliant to see McGonnagle in combat. Although, I have to say that it would've been nice to see more of the other supporting cast have their moments to shine. It was a shame Slughorn, Hagrid and pretty much the rest of the staff were given smaller roles, I felt it would've added to the urgency of the situation if we saw these characters spill blood and locked in battle, rather than confined to the background.

Another issue I have with this movie, and it's minor, but I really felt that Harry should be a little more pissed off at Dumbledore and his actions, and as Snape likened them to be 'raising Harry like a pig to slaughter', I thought some anger really was needed by Harry here.

The epilogue was handled perfectly and you have no idea how much of a smile came on my face when I heard John Williams' 'Reunion of Friends' used for the first time in 9 years. I really wanted them to use this and I was so glad they did. A brilliant send off to an entertaining movie series!

:****.:

#255 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

I'll throw this in a spoiler box just to make sure:

Spoiler

#256 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:54 AM

The epilogue was handled perfectly and you have no idea how much of a smile came on my face when I heard John Williams' 'Reunion of Friends' used for the first time in 9 years. I really wanted them to use this and I was so glad they did.

They... they did? :o

Ahhh! :D

*tear wells up*

You've made my night, Hark. :)

#257 Lt. Garfield

Lt. Garfield

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Neville in 7.2 is :D

#258 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:39 AM

Neville in 7.2 is :D

David Yates really went over-the-top in pushing Neville as some kind of "hero-who-saves-the-day". All he did was end up irritating me with Neville's "heroics". It's one of the many reasons why DH2 nearly turned me off.