http://www.makingof....ting-bond/11/56

#2 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

Interesting. RE: the Palio, the problem is that all that cool layering is known only to US, the hardcore fans, and not to the general audience. They have no idea the cisterns are a cool Roman hangover, they just think Bond is running through sewers. Or the Palio itself - I had to explain to my roommate why there was a horse race happening. And afterward, he thought it was cool - but had no idea what it was about the first time he saw it.

#3 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:32 AM

It sounds like the biggest obstacle really was the stringent commitment to the release date. I wonder if it isn't the best idea to stick to the two-year standard on Bond films now that the stories aren't based on Fleming. Of course, it'd be nice for us, the fans, but proper editing time is something that Forster has unequivocally stated that he didn't have.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:42 AM

Being made not to show the race as it really is, a dangerous often life threatening event for both rider and horse kind of dilutes the intensity of the foot chase.

#5 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

Jeez, I thought the horse race was thrilling. Looked plenty high-risk to me.

#6 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, Forster as mentioned on more than one occasion how he was not allocated the normal amount of time to edit the film. I'm almost starting to feel for Forster. I know he could have turned down the job, but it seems as though he found himself in an environment that simply wasn't conducive to his creative process.

#7 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

There's a part of me wishing that Quantum of Solace had a May 2009 release date. B)

I'm being deadly serious, it would've given Forster a lot for time to get things right with the film. :tdown:

#8 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, Forster as mentioned on more than one occasion how he was not allocated the normal amount of time to edit the film. I'm almost starting to feel for Forster. I know he could have turned down the job, but it seems as though he found himself in an environment that simply wasn't conducive to his creative process.

Could be, but in other interviews he has given a different perspective whereby he says on his other films "you struggle every day to get them made". I wouldn't mind betting the producers took a lot of pressure off and let Forster get on with it creatively during the shoot which must be catnip for a director I would guess.

#9 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:40 PM

Apologies if someone has posted this before, but I found another interview with Forster here which is interesting.

#10 Richard

Richard

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

I can't play those interviews with my dial-up connection. Too slow.

A few months ago I started a thread asking if Quantum of Solace should be recut because of the film's obvious problems. I really got hammered and told off. The moderator refused my request to make it a poll, which seemed to me blatantly dishonest -- afraid of the results, probably. The hired guns here can't ridicule a poll. No negative opinions allowed. Now I read that director Marc Forster is unhappy with his own edit and wants to recut the film -- or he is recutting it for a special DVD release. So it looks like I was right after all.

Richard

Edited by Richard, 24 May 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#11 Sniperscope

Sniperscope

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:40 AM

Now I read that director Marc Forster is unhappy with his own edit and wants to recut the film -- or he is recutting it for a special DVD release. So it looks like I was right after all.

Richard

I love the cut of QoS exactly as it is frankly.
The editing throughout the film, for me, is thrilling and cinematically sophisticated.
The aeroplane chase is one of the best filmed and edited in the series, as is the remarkable Tosca sequence which is so damn haunting with the powerful soundtrack matched perfectly to the visuals... love the crazed battle between Bond and Greene, as well as that fantastic cross-cutting of the helicopter pan across the lake with the moody Aston shots - in fact I love the whole damn car-chase!. WOW! Amazing stuff!

Having said all of that, as a devoted BLADE RUNNER fan, I would have no objections to a director's cut, as long as it's more substantial than Ridley Scott's rather poor effort...

Edited by Sniperscope, 24 May 2009 - 11:42 AM.