13 replies to this topic

#1 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

Hey guys. I've been digging around and can't find it. That picture of George sparring in his karate gi. if you coudl help me out that would be appreciated. Also any info on his lineage. I know he did kyokushin but I wanna know who his instructors were, etc. Just wanna see how close his kyokushin lineage goes to mine.

#2 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:54 PM

It's probably "The Man From Hong Kong," with Bruce Lee. For a man who was an excellent James Bond to end up being kicked around and finally blown up with a grenade in his mouth while the soundtrack played "They've blown it all sky high" represented quite a comedown.

I know the story about Lazenby and the influence of his agent, but I still can't help saying, "George, how could you?"

#3 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:59 PM

Hey guys. I've been digging around and can't find it. That picture of George sparring in his karate gi. if you coudl help me out that would be appreciated. Also any info on his lineage. I know he did kyokushin but I wanna know who his instructors were, etc. Just wanna see how close his kyokushin lineage goes to mine.

Is this what you're looking for? Couldn't find any in his karate gear though.
Posted Image
http://colsearch.nfs...c=0;resCount=10

Nice description of movie but can't come up with anything on lineage. Sorry.
http://www.eatmybrai...wzc.php?id=62#1

#4 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:40 PM

No prob. I distinctly remember the pic being posted here though. can't remember the thread or what it was about so it's tough to find.

#5 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

No prob. I distinctly remember the pic being posted here though. can't remember the thread or what it was about so it's tough to find.

Posted Image
Koyama Dojo at Queanbeyan, New South Wales

this it?

#6 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

That's it, thanks! And you got the dojo's name too, big big help.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:27 AM

It's probably "The Man From Hong Kong," with Bruce Lee. For a man who was an excellent James Bond to end up being kicked around and finally blown up with a grenade in his mouth while the soundtrack played "They've blown it all sky high" represented quite a comedown.

I know the story about Lazenby and the influence of his agent, but I still can't help saying, "George, how could you?"

Bruce Lee was not in THE MAN FROM HONG KONG. B) :tdown:

I think the movie is pretty good for a Brian Trenchard-Smith flick, and was another attempt by Laz to get away from Bond by wanting to play the drug baddie.

The movie is now available on DVD (with a very informative director's commentry track) from MADMAN.

I don't know if it was ever reported elsewhere around the world but Aussie media ran with articles claiming that Laz laughed at how poor the martial arts was portrayed and executed in The Man with the Golden Gun. Coming from an ex Bond it was quite topical. Of course, it was probably a publicity stunt for his own kung-fu flick that was just released in the cinemas here along with Golden Gun in 1975.

#8 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

I would like to see/purchase "The Man from Hong Kong", but I never saw it anywere. Too bad.

#9 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

Well, I don't know what region you need, but I found a R4 copy on Amazon. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.co...N...4613&sr=1-3

#10 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:15 AM

Well, I don't know what region you need, but I found a R4 copy on Amazon. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.co...N...4613&sr=1-3

That's the same one available from Madman that I mentioned above. Looking at the price they're asking for on Amazon you are better off buying it directly from Madman for AUD$19.95 (about US$14) and even adding the freight cost it would still be cheaper than Amazon.

#11 Colly

Colly

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:59 AM

I've got that edition - great film indeed, except for that godawful Musical love montage in the middle of the film - according to the doco NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD, all cast and crew really hated Jimmy Wang Yu by the end of production.

Still, makes me wish Laz had become a star of Australian cinema...he certainly had the chops!.....boom boom.

#12 CJB

CJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:03 AM

Laz for PM!

#13 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

With ref to the Dojo photo.

Poor stance. The standing foot should be turned and the right elbow protecting the ribs.
From the kicking foot position it looks as if he intended striking with the ball of the foot, his opponant has therefore stepped forward into the attack. I predict (if the kids wern't in the way) dropping both hands to the floor and executing a reverse sweep with the right leg, taking George's standing leg just above the ankle.

Alternatively with that level of crouch, the blocking arm should be angled back to protact the head, flicking up at the last second to force the attacking kick across the body, leaving George's back wide open for the counter.

#14 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:08 AM

People's form goes to crap sometimes during a sparring session. Personally I see the block deflecting upwards which works and the knees show he's moving forward and down. I'm almost sure the next move would have been a sweep with his right leg.

Edited by OmarB, 28 June 2009 - 05:11 AM.