91 replies to this topic

#1 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:58 AM

Are there any movies/genres that you absolutely will NOT watch?

Me? I am NOT a huge horror film fan, will not watch any of those crappy HSM movies, and I WON'T watch Jack[censored]B) -->.
How about you? Do you have any?

#2 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:05 AM

I refuse to watch the HARRY POTTER films after being forced to watch the third (I think) one in the series. It was absolutely horrendous, and I refuse to watch any of the others.

#3 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:11 AM

Saw

#4 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:11 AM

I refuse to watch the HARRY POTTER films after being forced to watch the third (I think) one in the series. It was absolutely horrendous, and I refuse to watch any of the others.

Oh dear. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I thought the third was the best in the series.

#5 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:22 AM

Anything with Will Smith in it
Most American "comedies" that involve falling over and poop jokes etc

Haven't seen any Harry Potters or Pirates either. Saw one Lord of the rings, got bored.

#6 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:25 AM

Haven't seen any Harry Potters or Pirates either. Saw one Lord of the rings, got bored.

I would have to agree and add the two PIRATES sequels as well as THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy to my list. I thought that PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL was a great movie (although I think that the Academy went a bit overboard giving Johnny Depp a nomination for that film), but everything that needed to be said was said in the first film. I've seen most of the second film, but absolutely refuse to watch the rest, and refuse to watch any of the third film.

As for THE LORD OF THE RINGS, I watched a bit of the first film, just about fell asleep during it, and refuse to watch anymore of any of the films.

#7 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:07 AM

Nell,Beaches or any annoyingly PC chic movies

Harry Potter

Lions for Lambs

torture pørn (Saw,Hostel,Touristas,Wrong Turn...etc)

anything with Sean Penn

anything directed by Oliver Stone, Michael Moore

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

I generally avoid comic book/fantasy/sci-fi/superhero fare like the plague, with a couple of exceptions (I loved THE DARK KNIGHT and WATCHMEN). I'm happy to say that I've seen just one of the HARRY POTTERs and none of the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEANs.

I have also successfully boycotted IRON MAN and SPIDER-MAN 3, and am currently gearing up to boycott TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN and X MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE. A good rule of thumb, I find, is to refuse to watch anything with a : in the title.

I also tend not to watch musicals, period dramas, romantic comedies, teen comedies, torture pørn (I thought the first HOSTEL a pretty good little flick, though - however, the second is dire, and you can keep this SAW nonsense), war films and westerns.

Finally, I'm very suspicious of the following people and have a policy of avoiding most of their work: George Clooney, the Coens and Ridley Scott.

#9 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

I find sword and sorcery (unless you count Highlander) a big turn off, and "space operas" too to a cetain extent. Silly made up names for characters and places grow weary for me very quickly. Even higher end stuff like Lord of the Rings, Dune, Beowulf and Conan the Barbarian held little or no appeal to me.

#10 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

TERMINATOR SALVATION

THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS

#11 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

I have also successfully boycotted IRON MAN and SPIDER-MAN 3, and am currently gearing up to boycott TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN and X MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE. A good rule of thumb, I find, is to refuse to watch anything with a : in the title.

Interesting proposition, that - is any film with a colon in the title any good?

Having typed that, I suppose Terminator 2's OK but am struggling a bit for anything else.

#12 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

High School Musical (or anything with Zac Efron in it)

Slumdog Millionaire

War of the Worlds

#13 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

Lord Of The Rings.

I have a friend who refuses to watch any 12 onwards films! And she's 17!
She came in when me and some of my friends were watching The Ring 2....

Emma: Ooooh this looks interesting...
Character on The Ring 2: She can hear us.....
Emma: No!!! No!! LET ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B)

Then she was sitting shielding hersel when Samara was climbing up the well!

#14 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

After seeing W., I'll probably never watch another Oliver Stone film again. Also probably going to boycott TERMINATOR SALVATION and BATMAN 3, as well as just about all of the upcoming summer action films (they all look absolutely terrible this year). I also refuse to see ANGELS AND DEMONS, just as I never saw, nor never will see, THE DAVINCI CODE.

Edited by tdalton, 16 April 2009 - 12:16 PM.

#15 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

Any new movie with Adam Sandler or Will Ferrel.

#16 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:59 PM

I try to avoid watching films with Tom Hanks in, if it's got someone else in it I'm interested in like Catch me if you Can but the idea of watching Castaway does not appeal.

I find his ability as an actor totally overrated and think he recieved two of the most underserving best actor oscars in the history of the Academy.

Hostel 2 and I'm sure I'll avoid the rest of the Saw series but might if my Wife suggests it having the sky movie channels.

Fast & Furious sequels, Transformers 2. I have no problem with Potter and every 2 years or so will indulge in the LOTR trilogy and will look forward to what Del Toro has up his sleeve.

National Treasure 1 & 2 and I don't want to see Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ever again.

I'm tempted to say the SW prequels but I couldn't say for sure.

Edited by bond 16.05.72, 16 April 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#17 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

I usually avoid movies I know will be bland, soulless Hollywood "moneymakers", like the aforementioned National Treasure films, the Mummy series (anything by Stephen Sommers, really) and anything starring Adam Sandler, Owen Wilson or most other American comedians.

I will also not watch further of the Pirates of the Caribbean films. I was "forced" to sit through the last one, and it's likely the silliest thing I ever witnessed.

Also, films directed by Rob Cohen, the guys behind Disaster Movie, Scary Movie and so on, plus a lot of other hacks for hire whose names escapes me. I generally avoid Michael Bay too, but I might watch Transformers 2 (the first had the most moronic plot ever, but good action). Armageddon is the worst movie I ever saw.

#18 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

"Fast and Furious" and every film with Jet Li!

#19 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:37 PM

Something about Ya Ya sisterhood or Traveling Pants or some movie like that.

#20 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

DEFIANCE, DUPLICITY, MAMMA MIA.

#21 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Faces of Death.

#22 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

Any new film with Jennifer Lopez in it...

#23 dogmanstar

dogmanstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

Still haven't seen Top Gun or Risky Business, don't want to. (Oh, and I should mention I'm old enough to have seen them when they came out in the theater--I was the target audience.)

Edited by dogmanstar, 16 April 2009 - 04:33 PM.

#24 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Mamma Mia Definitely!

Most of Nicholas Cage's output of late, The Transporter films, Michael Bay movies including those naff remakes his company churns out, hallelujah to giving up on crucifying Rosemary's Baby.

Nutty professor 1 & 2, Norbit, infact most of Murphy's output since the late 80's.

Those Pink Panther remakes with Steve (I'm not funny anymore)Martin.

#25 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

I generally avoid comic book/fantasy/sci-fi/superhero fare like the plague, with a couple of exceptions (I loved THE DARK KNIGHT and WATCHMEN). I'm happy to say that I've seen just one of the HARRY POTTERs and none of the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEANs.

I also tend not to watch musicals, period dramas, romantic comedies, teen comedies, torture pørn (I thought the first HOSTEL a pretty good little flick, though - however, the second is dire, and you can keep this SAW nonsense), war films and westerns.

Finally, I'm very suspicious of the following people and have a policy of avoiding most of their work: George Clooney, the Coens and Ridley Scott.

Luckily, Stallone didn't go with Rocky VI : Puncher's chance instead of RB. :tdown:

I'm also suspicious of Clooney or any actor who wears their politics on their sleeve in a heavy handed way hence my avoidence of Redford,Penn,Stone...Clooney is right there too. He's never made a movie I'd want to own on my shelf. I'd probably avoid Matt Damon non-Bourne movies but I will see him in the new Greengrass flick. B)

DEFIANCE, DUPLICITY, MAMMA MIA.

Defiance was great. I really enjoyed John Micheal Vincent's movies back in the day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080605/

:tdown:

#26 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

A good rule of thumb, I find, is to refuse to watch anything with a : in the title.

That rule doesn't include the Three Colors trilogy, does it? Please say no, brother.

As for myself, the only thing that comes immediately to mind is any more Rob Zombie HALLOWEEN movies.

#27 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

I think you'll find the ":" in the Trois Couleurs films was a French ":", and so doesn't count.

#28 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

Any Fast and Furious movie, Scary, Disaster, Epic movies, this past year's Oscar nominees, and any Kubrick.

#29 copperhead1

copperhead1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

Snakes On A Plane. YIKES!!!

#30 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

Lord Of The Rings.

I have a friend who refuses to watch any 12 onwards films! And she's 17!
She came in when me and some of my friends were watching The Ring 2....

Emma: Ooooh this looks interesting...
Character on The Ring 2: She can hear us.....
Emma: No!!! No!! LET ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tdown:

Then she was sitting shielding hersel when Samara was climbing up the well!

Sorry for your friend. I can't STAND any horror movies. Don't ask me why, but I am not a fan of gory horror movies.

Any new movie with Adam Sandler or Will Ferrel.

Absolutely. I have not watched anything with either of those two actors and they act like a group of 6th graders. Child-like humor that would irritate the heck out of anyone...B)