#61 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

Okay. But what does the title mean?

Oh dear - people are going to have problems with the next film title if this one is anything to go by...

#62 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

You only have to look at books that come out today (written in the most basic of prose) compared to the writing of 50 years ago to see the effects of a dumbed down society, expecially when it comes to literacy.

Not to sound elitist about this, but newspapers nowadays are written at a fifth grade reading level for a reason.

Not just nowadays. Journalism was my major in university (over 30 years ago), and we were taught to write at a fourth- or fifth-grade reading level. Just the way it was, and is.

#63 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

Just for the record, I think the title is perfect for the film. The film really is Bond looking for his measure of comfort in Vesper's betrayal. The fact that could find a Fleming title that works is extremely gratifying to me.

darthbond

Agreed. I didn't have a problem with the title. I really like it! B)
(One of the few things that I actually like about Quantum...)

#64 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

With all due respect, you know what I 'm sick of? Threads with titles that give away nothing about their subject, so you have to open them only to find out that you 're not interested in it.

#65 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:21 AM

I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed already, but I'm getting sick of people saying, "What does Quantum of Solace mean?" Seriously people, it's not that hard. Get a dictionary and look it up...

Except of course, in a movie where the evil organisation is called 'Quantum' it actually doesn't mean anything.
'The baddies that James Bond is fighting of comfort'? Eh?

Even in that regard, the title can make sense. We know Bond wants revenge. We know Quantum is the target of his vengeance. It's sort of like saying Bond can/is/will take comfort in his revenge.

#66 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:24 AM

Even in that regard, the title can make sense. We know Bond wants revenge. We know Quantum is the target of his vengeance. It's sort of like saying Bond can/is/will take comfort in his revenge.

Hmmm. I never thought about it that way...Interesting...
I always thought that it just meant that Bond was searching for some sort of comfort after the death of Vesper...

#67 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:20 AM

Hmmm. I never thought about it that way...Interesting...
I always thought that it just meant that Bond was searching for some sort of comfort after the death of Vesper...

Essentially the same thing as what I said. My above post is just a more violent take on it, i.e. killing members of Quantum is the only way he's going to get that comfort. Mind that's not how I interpret the title, but it's still a fun way to think about it.

#68 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:24 AM

Why not they just define "Quantum of Solace" as the title for Bond 22 and that's all. Nothing more B)

#69 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed already, but I'm getting sick of people saying, "What does Quantum of Solace mean?" Seriously people, it's not that hard. Get a dictionary and look it up...

Except of course, in a movie where the evil organisation is called 'Quantum' it actually doesn't mean anything.
'The baddies that James Bond is fighting of comfort'? Eh?

Doesn't really make sense grammatically, though: it's just crashing some words together to produce a bad pun. You could call a sequel to From Russia With Love 'SMERSH of Comfort', but I'll be blowed if it makes any sense to me.

#70 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:36 AM

I've already posted this before, but I'll try this again.
When I found out that the organization was called Quantum (from a USA Today online article) I was kind of skeptical. I felt that, when that happened, the producers were running out of ideas...Although, in retrospect, I really like the name Quantum. It just sounds so...sinister!