Lazenby's 2nd time as Bond-good or bad?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Brent

Brent

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:20 AM

George Lazenby had a 2nd turn in the role in a little seen film called "The Return of the man From U.N.C.L.E." where he is suitably dressed in a tux and driving the venerable Aston Martin. He helps Napoleon Solo get away from the KGB agents who are chasing Solo. The music is vaguely Bondian. Lazenby plays the role in a tongue in cheek mode that is closer to Roger Moore's interpretation. He even breaks the 4th wall as he did in OHMSS. Aside from too much talking to himself he plays the role in a manner befitting the story and is fairly credible. This also makes 1983 the year of not 2 but actually 3 Bonds appearing on screen albeit one is a small screen

Edited by Brent, 07 March 2009 - 05:27 PM.

#2 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

I've seen this on Youtube somewhere, and I thought it was fun in a cheesy way. George would still have made a great Bond at whatever age he was then.

I would be even more interested in learning about an episode of, I believe, an Alfred Hitchcock TV-series that George did, called Diamonds Aren't Forever, where he played a retired (?) secret agent or something. Anybody have any information on that one?

#3 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

Here it is:

He still looks good. Would've been great to see him make a comeback as Bond in the 80's.

#4 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

Always defended the man, but I'm not impressed by the clip, maybe it's just so strange seeing him in that car, I don't know.

#5 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

Always defended the man, but I'm not impressed by the clip, maybe it's just so strange seeing him in that car, I don't know.

I'm with you Shaun Forever!

#6 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:14 AM

Personally, I didn't like Lazenby but that's only because he only played Bond once. If, however, he had done one more Bond, I might have a better perception of Lazenby. I don't hate On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, but I feel that Lazenby should have had another chance to play Bond.

#7 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:32 AM

Hey Brent:

Don't know how old you are but 1983 was indeed the year that three actors who played Bond were playing him again. Significantly, it was the first and indeed only time that all of the official Eon Bonds were reprising the role again at the same time.

It was a great year to be a Bond fan. I turned 15 in 1983 and I remember the cover of Starlog featuring both Moore and Connery looking as they posed together (although on close inspection it was clear that it was simply two official still photos put next together.) If I remember correctly, Starlog featured interviews with all three actors in that very issue, as part of set reports on all three productions. That may not seem like anything special, as today, tons of magazines with Bond cover stories seem to pop up every time a new film comes out, and do indeed feature retrospectives on the series, along with interviews with past Bond actors. But think about it--that year none of the interviews concentrated on past Bond work, but rather on their new, upcoming turns at playing 007.

1983 was a great year to be a fan--aside from the three movies and a new Gardner novel, it was also the year the Victory Games Bond modules started to be released (I think I wound up owning all of them, but never actually played it. However, each of the books accompanying each one were extremely well written. The Basic Game Book and, of course, the Q Manual, are some of the best Bond reference books ever released!) It was truly a great year to be a fan!

Bill

P.S. I also have no problem seeing Lazenby's appearance as part of Bond and UNCLE canon, merging the two universes. Although it was not a sanctioned Eon appearance, it may be the closest one of the prior Bonds came to making it appear to be so in a non Bond film. Also, we should never forget that Fleming himself had a hand in creating UNCLE!

Edited by Bill, 13 March 2009 - 03:51 PM.

#8 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

He's plays it with the same style and penash as he did the first time. He should have done another one.

darthbond

#9 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

Here it is:

He still looks good. Would've been great to see him make a comeback as Bond in the 80's.

That was great. Thanks for posting the clip!