This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Something that would be great for Bond 23.

23 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

After completing Quantum of Solace: The Game on PS3, I was thinking how brilliant it would be for Bond to somehow run along the roof of a train, in the middle of the night, in the pouring rain. It would be brilliant, especially for Craigs Bond. Think of it as a more violent take on the Octopussy sequence. It would add great tension, if done right.

Bond could slip, cling on for dear life, smash through the windows of a compartment trying to catch a villain, which he may chase both in and out of the train.

What do you guys think?

#2 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

After completing Quantum of Solace: The Game on PS3, I was thinking how brilliant it would be for Bond to somehow run along the roof of a train, in the middle of the night, in the pouring rain. It would be brilliant, especially for Craigs Bond. Think of it as a more violent take on the Octopussy sequence. It would add great tension, if done right.

Bond could slip, cling on for dear life, smash through the windows of a compartment trying to catch a villain, which he may chase both in and out of the train.

What do you guys think?

I think thats a good idea if done right.

#3 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

Honestly, I don't think I'd like that.

First, it's not really possible to run along the roof of a moving train, especially under a pouring rain.
Second, it's been done to death in other action movies; it's a bit of an action flick's gimmick.

I'd rather see something fresher.

#4 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

I'd love a train sequence for bond 23either a fight inside or out side the train.

#5 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:01 AM

It would be classic Bond, I fully support this idea.

#6 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

Provided they dont' edit the sequence in a schizophrenic way, I could get behind it.

#7 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:01 PM

I would be up for a train sequence, not outside though, only inside like from russia with love. Like the classic bond theme.

#8 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

I've been thinking of Bond doing more action in really filthy weather, like pouring rain, fog, wind, etc. Real British weather.
So on top of a train, why not.

#9 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

I've been thinking of Bond doing more action in really filthy weather, like pouring rain, fog, wind, etc. Real British weather.
So on top of a train, why not.

It's interesting that there practically no rain scenes in Bond (until recently, anyway). What I 'd like to see is action during a tornado, but filmed in a real one, National Geographic style, not CGI. With Bond trapped somewhere with the villain, having to postpone the show-down until they get out. In general, now that people can travel a lot, so exoticism is not as exotic as it used to be in the 60s and 50s, and with so many films and tv shows packed with action, the way for Bond to distinguish himself from the others is real travelling, in real locations under real conditions. Like a documentary.

#10 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

No. It reminds me of Mission Impossible I. I didn't like it there and I don't think I'll fancy it in Bond 23.

#11 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

It could get a bit slippery out there... in the rain and on the roof of a moving train. Slippery AND dangerous.

Why not :(

It's a movie afterall.

edit: Although, if done, I'd like it to look really dangerous. Like a fight of his life, just to keep on the train and not off the train.

#12 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

What do you guys think?

After watching that sequence on YouTube, it very much reminds me of the elaborate train mission in Final Fantasy VIII, where the main characters hijack a train carriage from a still-moving train.

#13 dogtherock

dogtherock

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:38 AM

I would rather see the chase on top of cars! that would be wicked!

#14 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

If you like that idea, here is something I posted a while ago, dogtherock.

Bond persuing a villain on a busy motorway. After he realises the villain is too far away, he climbs out of the roof of the DBS, and uses the other traffic as stepping stones.

I know this could be either really really good or really really bad. I think, if done right it would be brilliant. Cars breaking, Bond flying onto oncoming traffic, nearly going under the wheels of trucks and busses, and holding on for dear life.

I still really love this idea, but I think it would be fantastic if Bond was to be forced to do this, maybe two enemy cars coming to either side and sandwiching him and accidently interlocking. Imagine how awesome that would be... Bond climbing out of the sunroof and jumping onto the back of a truck, just before both cars smash into an explosive obstacle causing a massive explosion. Enter the Bond theme!

#15 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:52 AM

Mharkin your second idea is brillian and would work really well as 007's 3rd foot chase espcially if done in either a girrty atmosphere (downtown New york for example) or a spacious location like the road connecting the keys in florida.

#16 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

Rain is good. Snow might be better. Northern Scandinavia, or Russia and frickin’ freezing. Bond: no coat, no gloves, wind whipping, icy rooftop. Hands going numb. Nothing long and drawn out, and not even a chase sequence. Just Bond vs. the elements, not totally unlike the poisoning scene in CR. Maybe he’s been captured, and he has to escape his train cabin via window in order to get past some guards stationed outside his room. Of course at this speed, at night, in this weather and in these conditions, they wouldn’t even fathom a man attempting to escape out the window so they don’t bother to post a guard in the room. Not to mention the fact that he’s already proven capable of taking out more than one of their men at once. It makes much more sense to guard the hall.

Perhaps a gadget comes into play? But then it shouldn’t be anything to make it too easy for him. It’s got to be one of those “Man! That would really, really suck” empathetic moments.

#17 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

I agree with a lot of guys above that it would be great to see a sequence in extreme weather conditions. I especially prefer fog. It's really mysterious and foul of agony to be in the fog. With the right cameras and of course with the right director who will know how to use them, we will have one of the best scenes in Bond history.

#18 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

There are quite a few decent train-top scenes to contend with, admittedly from outside the Bond universe.

From last month's Empire magazine - The Top 10 Train-Top Moments.

#19 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:48 PM

Ugh, SPIDERMAN-2? I hated that film because of that sequence; it was pretty clear the entire film had been staged around it, much like John Woo building the plot of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2 around action scenes he wanted.

And why no mention of the time Michelle Yeoh rode a motorcycle across the top of a train going in the opposite direction?

#20 Sniperscope

Sniperscope

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

There's some great suggestions on this thread so far!

I really like the train idea that was originally posted to start the thread. It got me thinking of the scene in the Hindi film OMKARA in which the the titular hero halts a train in the pouring rain in order to kill a rival. There's a very striking moment soon after where Omkara is beating up his 2nd in command in front of the train lights.

I also completely agree with all those who want challenging weather conditions for B23 with a more classic film-noir thriller feel about it.

I'd like heavy rain / storm - a CAPE FEAR style scenario perhaps in a shack on a river, at night, where a wounded and desperate Bond has fled after he was betrayed on the mission.
The tables have been turned and now Bond is the hunted! It's raining like mad - it's deafening under the tin roof of the shack and OO7 is waiting for a boat to get him out. But it's late, maybe never coming, and he may soon be dead!
The storm grows in intensity.
Trees lash against the window. Bond douses the pocket light. His mobile's out of charge, there's no sign of the boat and he lost his PPK back somewhere in the swamps. And out there -
somewhere -
the assassin hired by Quantum to kill him lurks... waiting to strike!

Edited by Sniperscope, 01 March 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#21 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

Rain is good. Snow might be better. Northern Scandinavia, or Russia and frickin’ freezing. Bond: no coat, no gloves, wind whipping, icy rooftop. Hands going numb. Nothing long and drawn out, and not even a chase sequence. Just Bond vs. the elements, not totally unlike the poisoning scene in CR. Maybe he’s been captured, and he has to escape his train cabin via window in order to get past some guards stationed outside his room. Of course at this speed, at night, in this weather and in these conditions, they wouldn’t even fathom a man attempting to escape out the window so they don’t bother to post a guard in the room. Not to mention the fact that he’s already proven capable of taking out more than one of their men at once. It makes much more sense to guard the hall.

Perhaps a gadget comes into play? But then it shouldn’t be anything to make it too easy for him. It’s got to be one of those “Man! That would really, really suck” empathetic moments.

I like it quite a bit more!
What about adding a scene when Bond is shaking uncontrollably because of the cold, which prevents him from doing something important (shoot a gun, open a door, or whatever)?

#22 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

Rain is good. Snow might be better. Northern Scandinavia, or Russia and frickin’ freezing. Bond: no coat, no gloves, wind whipping, icy rooftop. Hands going numb. Nothing long and drawn out, and not even a chase sequence. Just Bond vs. the elements,

Exactly, thats waht should occur in the next movie, and i think Bond is over do for a winter setting, (not like the ending of quantum of solace, which was good)

#23 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Rain is good. Snow might be better. Northern Scandinavia, or Russia and frickin’ freezing.

Part of me would like to see Bond visit my home country (Norway), but part of me thinks it could result in the most boring film in the series this far if he visited Scandinavia. It must be the most peaceful, quiet and uneventful part of the world.

Off course, the world of fiction could ignore that. B)

I like the ideas of blizzards and wolves. 007 against the environment would feel a lot more fresh than anything in QoS.

#24 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

I would rather see the chase on top of cars! that would be wicked!

Then you'll love the new fast and furious movie.