25 replies to this topic

#1 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

Just got thinking who'd ever have the idea of putting a hotel in the desert, surely the worst idea ever? There's no roads to it, and as Bond states its about 20 miles before you consider killing yourself.:-)

Also did the receptionist who got raped, also die in the fire, we can only presume. What do you think?

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

I think there was a shot of the receptionist escaping out of the hotel room before the roof it caved in. I suppose she survived.

#3 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

Olga stopped him before he could do anyhting nasty to the receptionist did she not?

#4 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Olga stopped him before he could do anyhting nasty to the receptionist did she not?

Fortunately she hadn't been raped yet. I don't think Eon Productions would ever show a rape in-progress, only implied rape à la Licence to Kill. Rape involves forced intercourse and luckily Camile prevented that.

#5 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

Fortunately she hadn't been raped yet. I don't think Eon Productions would ever show a rape in-progress, only implied rape à la Licence to Kill. Rape involves forced intercourse and luckily Camile prevented that.

You know, I first saw LTK when I was like 15 or 16, I had NO IDEA that's what del Toro was getting at. I thought he was just saying 'honeymoon' weird. Ah, to be an innocent young mind again.

#6 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

You know, I first saw LTK when I was like 15 or 16, I had NO IDEA that's what del Toro was getting at. I thought he was just saying 'honeymoon' weird. Ah, to be an innocent young mind again.

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not completely convinced that Della was raped. Yes, Dario's comment implies that, but he could just as easily be saying that to get under Felix's skin.

The only example I can give why Della wasn't raped is that when Bond finds her, she is lying on the bed with her wedding dress still on, untorn, and neatly covering every part of her legs. (If I remember right, the bed is still perfectly made, but I'm not certain on that at the moment.) Had there been a rape, then I don't see why Dario, Perez, and Braun would have left Della looking so pristine. Wouldn't they have left her in the condition she was in immediately post-rape and death? Granted, this is a PG-13 film, so EON couldn't be too graphic, but surely the filmmakers could have made Della and the room look more like a violent act had recently been committed. Or maybe EON just leaves it up to interpretation.

#7 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

Uh, LTK was an 18.

#8 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

Uh, LTK was an 18.

yet PG-13 in the US.

Just got thinking who'd ever have the idea of putting a hotel in the desert, surely the worst idea ever? There's no roads to it, and as Bond states its about 20 miles before you consider killing yourself.:-)

Bugsy Seigel?

#9 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:50 AM

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not completely convinced that Della was raped. Yes, Dario's comment implies that, but he could just as easily be saying that to get under Felix's skin.

The only example I can give why Della wasn't raped is that when Bond finds her, she is lying on the bed with her wedding dress still on, untorn, and neatly covering every part of her legs. (If I remember right, the bed is still perfectly made, but I'm not certain on that at the moment.) Had there been a rape, then I don't see why Dario, Perez, and Braun would have left Della looking so pristine. Wouldn't they have left her in the condition she was in immediately post-rape and death? Granted, this is a PG-13 film, so EON couldn't be too graphic, but surely the filmmakers could have made Della and the room look more like a violent act had recently been committed. Or maybe EON just leaves it up to interpretation.

I'd noticed that too, but I figured maybe they wanted it to be as vague and implied as possible considering the PG-13 rating. The PG-13 was still kind of a conservative rating, then, given as it had only been around for a few years (because of Temple of Doom, right?). Considering everything they got away with in QoS, I kind of want to see LtK remade nowadays.

yet PG-13 in the US.

If I remember correctly there were a bunch of really small insignificant cuts between the two that resulted in that ratings difference; I think the shot of Dario falling into the grinder was longer, and a bunch of other brief little reaction/death scenes that wouldn't notice unless you knew to look for them.

#10 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

About this part of your question: I don't think it's a bad idea at all to build a resort in the middle of nowhere. Some people like to be really withdrawn sometimes, and a luxury hotel in the middle of a desert, thus with very controlled access, may attract some discreet millionaires...

#11 Hitmonk

Hitmonk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:59 AM

There's actually a functioning hotel in Sweden which is created each winter from Ice:

http://www.icehotel.com/

No doubt used as inspiration for DAD, but proof that anything is possible. People won't stop at any lengths for a different tourism expierence, so a hotel in the desert makes perfect sense.

#12 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

There's actually a functioning hotel in Sweden which is created each winter from Ice:

http://www.icehotel.com/

Also one in Quebec: Hôtel de Glace

Crazy people!

#13 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

I thought the fact that BOND and CAMILLE watch the cars approach the compound somewhat suggests they are roads and vehicular access...?

I always read "honeymoon" to be death, but a rape makes unfortunate sense here. And it is not just LEITER who is knocked by this. BOND is too. I've always felt that there are allusions to BOND and DELLA having had something once before in their time - which sort of warrants and motivates his response to her death just that bit more.

#14 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

I thought the fact that BOND and CAMILLE watch the cars approach the compound somewhat suggests they are roads and vehicular access...?

I always read "honeymoon" to be death, but a rape makes unfortunate sense here. And it is not just LEITER who is knocked by this. BOND is too. I've always felt that there are allusions to BOND and DELLA having had something once before in their time - which sort of warrants and motivates his response to her death just that bit more.

I always thought Bond and Della had a fling before too, but the movie doesn't say that and I couldn't find such a statement in the novelization when I skimmed through it. However, Bond does seem to be pretty familiar with her in both versions, more so than him just recently knowing her through Felix.

#15 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

I always thought Bond and Della had a fling before too, but the movie doesn't say that and I couldn't find such a statement in the novelization when I skimmed through it. However, Bond does seem to be pretty familiar with her in both versions, more so than him just recently knowing her through Felix.

Emotionally, that makes sense to me. But if that were true, then why would Della not know about Bond's marriage till Felix told her? It seems to me that, if they'd had a previous relationship, then Della would have known about Tracy and so, sensitive to Bond's loss, would've handled the garter scene very differently.

I guess I felt that Bond's revenge here was more out of loyalty to Leiter, and also fury over yet another innocent, Della, being murdered. By the way, I took Dario's comment literally, that he had raped Della before murdering her. I don't think he would just say that. But my sense was that, given the time, the production crew tidied up the actress's wardrobe and set so that the rape was implied, not shown blatantly. The fact that she was left on the bed, plus Dario's remark, told me that Della was raped and then murdered.

#16 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

Uh, LTK was an 18.

Actually it was only a 15...

#17 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

Okay
1) Firstly, eco-hotels like the Perla de las Dunas are in demand. People like the idea of going on holiday and leaving a negative carbon footprint behind. More often than not, these eco hotels are isolated and in a region that remains relatively untouched. I daresay eco-tourism wuld form a decent bit of Bolivia's tourism industry.
2) There are roads to the Perla de las Dunas. After all, that's how Greene's party got in: we quite clearly see them driving to the place when Bond is telling Camille about what it is like to kill someone.
3) Bond drove Greene out into te desert. He didn't take a road to get there.
4) He never told Greene it would be twenty miles before he kiled himself. He said he'd bet Greene would make it twenty miles before he considered drinking the can of motor oil out of desparation. This is an unfortunate habit of yours, P-D: you seem to misquote a lot of things to support your argument.

#18 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

I daresay eco-tourism wuld form a decent bit of Bolivia's tourism industry.

Well, I don't really think so. I mean, to develop eco-tourism, you need some basic infrastructure, like good roads and luxury hotels, and Bolivia- in the real world- is still far from that. Indeed, I think that was the main reason why EON choose to film in Chile (Perla de las Dunas) and not in Bolivia.

#19 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:52 AM

Emotionally, that makes sense to me. But if that were true, then why would Della not know about Bond's marriage till Felix told her? It seems to me that, if they'd had a previous relationship, then Della would have known about Tracy and so, sensitive to Bond's loss, would've handled the garter scene very differently.

I guess I felt that Bond's revenge here was more out of loyalty to Leiter, and also fury over yet another innocent, Della, being murdered. By the way, I took Dario's comment literally, that he had raped Della before murdering her. I don't think he would just say that. But my sense was that, given the time, the production crew tidied up the actress's wardrobe and set so that the rape was implied, not shown blatantly. The fact that she was left on the bed, plus Dario's remark, told me that Della was raped and then murdered.

I don't see why Della had to know that Bond was married before. Did Bond tell Tiffany Case that he had been married? Solitaire? Holly Goodhead? Octopussy? Kara Milovy? It's such a painful subject for him that there's no reason for him to bring it up. On the other hand, there's also the possibility that he had his fling with Della before he was married.

Now I agree that Bond's revenge is more out of loyalty to his friendship with Leiter although he is also pissed off that innocent Della is killed. However, I still lean toward Della not being raped. Call it wishful thinking if you must. :(

#20 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:39 AM

Please let's keep it on topic. Thanks.

#21 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

I haven't studied rape or anything but a dress can be easily pulled up and down. Watch Licence to Kill and look very closely at the expression on Della's face. That's not the face of somebody who is shot to death. Wouldn't a victim of a gunshot flinch and therefore have their eyes closed when they die? She had her eyes wide open with a horrified expression on her face. In my opinion, it's the face of someone who has been sexually assaulted and then immediately killed.

Lupe's boyfriend got his heart torn out and Leiter got mauled by a shark. So why would Dario/Sanchez give Della a pleasant death? And why wouldn't three psychopaths rape Della before killing her? Torture is their MO.

The heinousness of Sanchez' crimes (the rape/death of Della and the maiming of Leiter) really make us feel for them and Bond which is why I love Licence to Kill. It's not about a mission given to Agent 007 by Her Majesty's Government, it's about Bond seeking vengeance in a way that's pure Bond. If only the follow-up to On Her Majesty's Secret Service was so good...

I seems that Maibaum's writing partner could either make or break a film.

#22 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

I haven't studied rape or anything but a dress can be easily pulled up and down. Watch Licence to Kill and look very closely at the expression on Della's face. That's not the face of somebody who is shot to death. Wouldn't a victim of a gunshot flinch and therefore have their eyes closed when they die? She had her eyes wide open with a horrified expression on her face. In my opinion, it's the face of someone who has been sexually assaulted and then immediately killed.

Lupe's boyfriend got his heart torn out and Leiter got mauled by a shark. So why would Dario/Sanchez give Della a pleasant death? And why wouldn't three psychopaths rape Della before killing her? Torture is their MO.

The heinousness of Sanchez' crimes (the rape/death of Della and the maiming of Leiter) really make us feel for them and Bond which is why I love Licence to Kill. It's not about a mission given to Agent 007 by Her Majesty's Government, it's about Bond seeking vengeance in a way that's pure Bond. If only the follow-up to On Her Majesty's Secret Service was so good...

I see your point. But that seems so non Fleming, I mean, Bond never was for a exclusively personal vendetta 'mission' in the books.

#23 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:26 AM

I see your point. But that seems so non Fleming, I mean, Bond never was for a exclusively personal vendetta 'mission' in the books.

Somebody's forgetting You Only Live Twice... :(

#24 Mr. Arlington Beech

Mr. Arlington Beech

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1112 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:32 AM

Somebody's forgetting You Only Live Twice... :(

No, I'm not. In You Only Live Twice Bond is not exclusively in a personal vendetta, he's on a diplomatic assignment to the Japanese Secret Service, to gain direct access to Magic 44 for MI6.

Besides Blofeld and SPECTRE were direct enemies of MI6 and UK, while Sanchez isn't, in fact Bond's services were required in Istanbul not in Key West or Isthmus (what a weird name for a- fictional- southamerican country!!).

Edited by Mr. Arlington Beech, 24 February 2009 - 04:54 PM.

#25 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

I seems that Maibaum's writing partner could either make or break a film.

In the novelization, Della is stabbed and the dagger is still sticking out of her chest, but there is no mention of it appearing that she was raped. In the film, there is no dagger, just a bloody wound.

However, in looking at the scene in the film, Della's legs are spread apart some distance (not a huge amount but enough to imply rape) and it appears that the front of her dress is up around her knees. With that visual evidence from a second look, I will concede that Della was probably raped, although I do think that EON filmed it purposefully vague to leave it up to everyone's interpretation (and to get past the censors).

#26 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:02 AM

Olga burst into the room and caught him as he was about to do something to the receptionist. As soon as Medrano realized that Olga's Camille character broke in, he dropped all of his thoughts about attacking a mere hotel receptionist. He had a more tempting target whose family he had messed with one time too many, and the thought of raping/killing her would be a boost to his ego. The receptionist would come much later. Instead, Medrano, as played by Mexico native Joaquin Cosio, would meet his match in spectacular fasion, although I wish that she was a bit more quicker with that gun in bringing him down. Tatiana Romanova in FRWL was quick with a gun in that film, hesitating for about a second, and Dominique Derval in TB was the quickest of all with that harpoon gun, making sure that Largo was in the right position to get the point before actually shooting him. Strong female heroines, by definition, need to be quick in killing off a dangerous and heinous villain, and fortunately those ladies pulled it off without much hesitation. However, it should be done as quickly as possible.