#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

Bond boats, gadgets add fun to Detroit Boat Show

Boating enthusiasts and James Bond aficionados will get a charge out of this year's Detroit Boat Show.

In addition to hundreds of new models on display at Cobo Center Saturday through Sunday, Feb. 22, there will also be two vessels used in the Bond films The World is Not Enough and Diamonds are Forever.

In 1999, the Q Boat was designed specifically for the film and features a 350-horsepower jet drive Chevrolet V-8 engine.

The other Bond-inspired vessel is the Bath-O-Sub, which arch villain Blofeld attempted to use to make his escape. An identical Bath-O-Sub, made of concrete for maximum damage, was later used to destroy Blofeld's satellite control room.

Nicki Polan, director of communications for the Michigan Boating Industries Association, said the display of Bond artifacts was inspired by the release of the latest Bond film in late 2008...

Read more...

#2 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

This is going to be right in my stomping grounds, but it doesn't sound like they're going to have much :( . Maybe they'll announce more. If I see anything in the local rags I'll link to it.

#3 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:56 PM

Haven't settled on day yet, but I'm definitely going to this.

In talking w/ the show organizers, I get the feeling that there's more to this than what the write-ups convey. Generally speaking, it's the nature of public relations. A person w/ a broad knowledge of communications is given something particular or technical, and detail is lost.

For example (per my particular interest area), they reference the "gadget watch" from The World Is Not Enough. Which one? There were two. LINK

FYI: In following up w/ Doug Redenius, VP of The Ian Fleming Foundation and owner of the two original watches worn by the James Bond character in films and to be displayed at the Detroit Boat Show, I found out it's the Elektra-Torch Omega Seamaster.

Posted Image

My Blog has a couple of Posts on this, with more definitely to come. LINK

Like I said: I'm definitely gonna be there. Anyone else? Any particular day you have in mind?

#4 losttvseries

losttvseries

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:02 AM

:(