21 replies to this topic

#1 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:53 AM

I've seen QoS just once in the cinema. It has gone from the first-run theaters into the second-run theaters in my area. I've meant to get out and see it again on the big screen, but things have just kept me from getting there.

The fact that we're less than two months from the home video release has me wondering if I should even make the effort to go again.

The upsides for going:
-I've seen every Bond film in a cinema at least twice since FYEO and the streak would be broken if I missed it
-There's nothing like Bond on the big screen
-The price can't be beat for admission, about $3, especially if you don't buy concessions
-I really like QoS, so it's not like I'd be missing a lesser film

The downsides:
-I have to travel out of town, not far, to see it at the second-run cinema, not to mention it's not a top-flight auditorium like the cinema on the first-run was and the print may be scratchy by now
-Sometimes seeing a film with a crowd can be annoying, especially at the second-run cinemas, which attract a lot of kids who just go to hang out and not watch the film
-I have Blu-ray, which in some ways is even better than going to a cinema
-That build-up to the film on video can be as exciting in some ways as the debut at the cinema

So, what should I do?

#2 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:56 AM

I say go. If you destroy your "two-views at the cinema" streak now you'll regret it later. Trust me. A few years from now Bond 23 will come out, and circumstance will lead you to seeing it twice. After the second viewing of Bond 23 you'll stop a go - "damn! I should have went to QoS for that second viewing!". You have a good streak going on nearly 30 years now. Keep it going.

#3 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:13 AM

Whoa! That's an amazing streak, man. Don't break it! Don't let the downsides deter you from Bond.

#4 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:29 AM

If you like it, see it on the big screen - lots. :(

#5 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:50 AM

You should go and see it again. It could be the last chance you get to see it on the big screen and QOS is a film that gets better with multiple viewings.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

Sounds like I need to make some plans to get to that cinema soon. Thanks for the answers. :(

You should go and see it again. It could be the last chance you get to see it on the big screen and QOS is a film that gets better with multiple viewings.

I said in another thread a while back that QoS is one of the films I really wanted to see again to take everything, such as picking up on the visual style more fully, not to mention missed plot points and such.

Other recent films, CR not included, I went to to because they were Bond films and I am a Bond fan, to see certain bits, but not so much as a whole.

#7 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:08 AM

Definitely go! You're right, there really is nothing like the big screen.

I'm old enough to have seen every Bond film on the big screen--and starting with TB, I've seen them all in their intial releases. The only one I haven't seen at least twice is OHMSS--it came out my freshman year in college, and I was able to catch it only once, while on Christmas vacation. For a long time, I made it a policy to see each one at least three times, but I think a couple of the Brosnans I only saw twice. I've seen both of Craig's three times. So I definitely get the value of a streak like that.

So go! Like Single-O-Seven said, if you don't, you'll almost certainly regret it. And I bet it'll hardly spoil your anticipation of the video at all.

#8 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:10 AM

Go! I would if it were playing here now. I only saw it twice and I loved it so I was dissapointed to be denied on X-mas day cuz that stupid Benji butt Head movie kicked him out theaters near me.

#9 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:49 AM

I have a similar streak I began when I was 12 years old with TWINE where I see each Bond movie on opening day, and I know my heart would be forever broken if I'd have broken that streak with QoS. You really should go see QoS again, damn the torpedoes!

And consider yourself lucky the second-chance theater around you is showing it again, I'm not quite so blessed. :(

#10 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

Within the last two weeks I saw From Russia With Love, Goldfinger and The Spy Who Loved Me at the cinema.

There's nothing like watching a James Bond movie on The Big Screen in full digital surround where the theatre nearly shakes.

Q0S is one of the better films in the series from a visual and cinematography point of view and it's a blast on the big screen.

Take the opportunity to see it while it's still out. I've seen it 7 times and am thinking about making it 8 soon.

:(

#11 Daddy Bond

Daddy Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

Within the last two weeks I saw From Russia With Love, Goldfinger and The Spy Who Loved Me at the cinema.

There's nothing like watching a James Bond movie on The Big Screen in full digital surround where the theatre nearly shakes.

Q0S is one of the better films in the series from a visual and cinematography point of view and it's a blast on the big screen.

Take the opportunity to see it while it's still out. I've seen it 7 times and am thinking about making it 8 soon.

Wow, I wish they'd play some older Bond films on the big screen here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. That's just not the kind of thing they do down here very often. Having lived near Boston, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Diego and London during my life, I miss some of the events these other cities get. Apart from the symphony or a museum, about all there is to do here is go to the mall, the movies or eat. Ah, I miss the ocean!!! (and the mud puddle - called the Gulf - on the Texas coast doesn't cut it for me!) Sorry, I digress.

#12 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

Wow, I wish they'd play some older Bond films on the big screen here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. That's just not the kind of thing they do down here very often. Having lived near Boston, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Diego and London during my life, I miss some of the events these other cities get. Apart from the symphony or a museum, about all there is to do here is go to the mall, the movies or eat. Ah, I miss the ocean!!! (and the mud puddle - called the Gulf - on the Texas coast doesn't cut it for me!) Sorry, I digress.

I quite like the Old Stock Yards in Fort Worth. Billy-Bobs is a hoot. Tex-Mex food is yummy with giant Margaritas to help slosh it down. Plus there's always High School, College and Cowboys football in the fall! :)

#13 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

GO. AGAIN.

Since TSWLM I've gone at least three times - I've only seen FRWL, YOLT and TB once on the big screen, and unfortunately never DN.

But since TSWLM it's been a tradition, nay a duty, an obligation to go a couple of times. Yes, that does mean mulitple big-screen viewings of the likes of OP and DAD, but like listening to The Beatles without earmuffs, anything else would be uncivilised. (I think I've completely butchered my Bond-quote of the day, but WTH).

#14 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

Go and take me.

#15 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

QoS is a film you need to see twice.
Three times might be hardcore, but twice is the minimum.

#16 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

QoS is a film you need to see twice.
Three times might be hardcore, but twice is the minimum.

No doubt. i've seen it 4 times :(

#17 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:38 PM

I'm going again tonight (for the third time), as it's on at the uni cinema - £2 a ticket!

#18 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

My dilemma just got a bit more challenging. QoS was playing at 3 second-run cinemas. Friday they took it down to just one, a bit farther than the one I intended to go to. Add to that their only showings are nighttime ones, not helping my chances of catching a matinee.

One rises to meet a challenge.

#19 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

Well, if you don't catch this showing, the next time Quantum of Solace is offered on the big screen you will probably have to drive even farther to see it. Might as well cut your losses & check it out now. :(

#20 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

My thanks to everybody who put in their thoughts. It was unanimous to check QoS out on the big screen on last time. And I did on Friday (the 13th, no less).

One second-run theater around 25-30 miles from where I lived had one Friday and one Saturday 10 p.m. showing only. So I headed out to the Friday showing. This was a smaller multiplex that was one of the premiere cinemas back in its day, but got superceded by the bigger ones as time went on. I remember seeing things like Godfather III and Maverick there and haven't been back in 15 years or so.

It was just me and some middle-aged couple in this rather large auditorium. No trailers, just right into the MGM logo. Unfortunately, the print was rather worn, it wasn't entirely in focus and the sound wasn't that great. And there was this constant set of lines on one part of the screen for its entire length, probably something from the projector, like artifacting on a DVD. Being that late at night doesn't help your focus a lot either.

But it was Bond and I felt pretty charged -- I had a whole theater nearly to myself, no loud teenagers or talking couples and I was keeping my streak of having seen every new Bond at least twice in a cinema alive.

It's funny. I remember when I was a teenager and FYEO came out and thinking to myself how if I had a driver's license that I would go see a new Bond film every other day. And now more than 25 years later it took me nearly 3 months between the first time I saw QoS and the second.

#21 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

My thanks to everybody who put in their thoughts. It was unanimous to check QoS out on the big screen on last time. And I did on Friday (the 13th, no less).

One second-run theater around 25-30 miles from where I lived had one Friday and one Saturday 10 p.m. showing only. So I headed out to the Friday showing. This was a smaller multiplex that was one of the premiere cinemas back in its day, but got superceded by the bigger ones as time went on. I remember seeing things like Godfather III and Maverick there and haven't been back in 15 years or so.

It was just me and some middle-aged couple in this rather large auditorium. No trailers, just right into the MGM logo. Unfortunately, the print was rather worn, it wasn't entirely in focus and the sound wasn't that great. And there was this constant set of lines on one part of the screen for its entire length, probably something from the projector, like artifacting on a DVD. Being that late at night doesn't help your focus a lot either.

But it was Bond and I felt pretty charged -- I had a whole theater nearly to myself, no loud teenagers or talking couples and I was keeping my streak of having seen every new Bond at least twice in a cinema alive.

It's funny. I remember when I was a teenager and FYEO came out and thinking to myself how if I had a driver's license that I would go see a new Bond film every other day. And now more than 25 years later it took me nearly 3 months between the first time I saw QoS and the second.

Congrats on keeping your streak and I wish I could see any of the classic Connery Bonds especially TB on the big screen but I am planning, when i graduate from college next year and get a solid job and move into my own house, I will be getting a home theater which by then I will be able to watch the Blu-ray versions of the Bond films on a really big screen but this still won't be as good as seeing it in an actual theater and I agree with fellow posters that QoS is a very good experience on the big screen and I have seen it 7 times like HildebrandRarity and when I saw it on opening day it was just me, my twin brother, and a couple other people since it was a 9 A.M. showing.

#22 eddychaput

eddychaput

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

I didn't like QOS all that much and I still saw it 3 times!

Kudos for making that trip out of your way to see it a second time. A shame the quality of the picture and sound weren't all that good.