#1 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:38 AM

http://www.hollywood...6799f546fe7e2da

LONDON -- Michael Fassbender, Dominic West and Bond girl Olga Kurylenko are girding their loins for Neil Marshall's Britain-set sword-and-sandals thriller "Centurion," for "Slumdog Millionaire" producer Christian Colson of Celador Films.

The movie, billed as a thriller set during the Roman invasion of Britain in A.D. 117, tells the story of Quintus Dias, sole survivor of a Pictish raid on a Roman frontier fort, who marches north with General Virilus' legendary Ninth Legion, under orders to wipe the Picts from the face of the Earth and destroy their leader, Gorlacon.

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:05 AM

Sounds like a 300 wannabe. Gorlacon sounds like a Star Trek villain.

Olga in a toga sounds like a nice idea.

#3 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:06 AM

It would be worth it to see what's underneath her toga, as well.

#4 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:52 AM

Sounds like a 300 wannabe. Gorlacon sounds like a Star Trek villain.

Olga in a toga sounds like a nice idea.

I agree with each and every word of this post. Gorlacon is a planet one would visit in an Isaac Asimov novel, and not exactly something you'd associate with Roman war tales.

But let's swaddle Olga in a glorified bedsheet as soon as we can, okay? Where exactly do I have to sign up to be an apprentice costume designer on this film?

#5 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Sounds interesting.

I recently read Pompeii by Robert Harris, so I'm all for a thriller/mystery story set in the antiquity.

#6 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

If memory serves, didn't we get a good look in HITMAN?

#7 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:57 PM

If memory serves, didn't we get a good look in HITMAN?

In this respect, the French thriller The Serpent may be of interest to you. Besides the fact that it's a better film than Hitman :(

#8 DKelly

DKelly

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:41 AM

I'm anticipating this film, actually. The filmmaker behind this, Neil Marshall, specializes in genre films. Up until now, he's done a werewolf movie(Dog Soldiers), a horror movie of a group of people being chased by creatures in a cave(The Descent), and a Mad Max-style apocalyptic action movie(Doomsday), and has done a terrific job with all of them, IMO. I trust him with a movie like this.

Plus, it'll be nice to see Olga up on the screen again with a good character to work with. All the better if she's in a toga. :(

Edited by DKelly, 18 February 2009 - 02:46 AM.

#9 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

I'm anticipating this film, actually. The filmmaker behind this, Neil Marshall, specializes in genre films. Up until now, he's done a werewolf movie(Dog Soldiers), a horror movie of a group of people being chased by creatures in a cave(The Descent), and a Mad Max-style apocalyptic action movie(Doomsday), and has done a terrific job with all of them, IMO. I trust him with a movie like this.

Plus, it'll be nice to see Olga up on the screen again with a good character to work with. All the better if she's in a toga. :(

Good heavens, those were all the same guy? I LOVED Dog Soldiers, and didn't see the other two but heard pretty mixed reviews, especially about Doomsday. Dog Soldiers would be enough to make me check this out, though.

#10 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

Comingsoon.net has the first picture of Olga Kurylenko in Neil Marshall's Centurion.

First Look of Olga Kurylenko in Centurion

#11 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

Comingsoon.net has the first picture of Olga Kurylenko in Neil Marshall's Centurion.

Oh... It is that kind of "sword and sandal" films... B)

#12 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

Interesting pic. And she's playing a character with no tongue? Stranger still.

So do you think she will have a decent post-Bond career? Most of the Euro-Bond girls from the Broz era never went on to do much else, with Famke Janssen being the lone exception, successfully working with acclaimed directors (Woody Allen, Robert Altman) and appearing in blockbusters (the X-Men series, and she's in this year's biggest box office hit, Taken, which will probably spawn a sequel).

As far as I can tell, Olga was quite decently accepted as a Bond girl (or at least, not roundly dismissed, a la Denise Richards).

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hubba Hubba :tdown:

I have a great deal of respect for Neil Marshall so I am looking forward to this. I loved Dog Soldiers, Descent and Doomsday. Well OK I loved Doomsday because of Rhona Mitra more than anything else B)

#14 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

I have a great deal of respect for Neil Marshall so I am looking forward to this. I loved Dog Soldiers, Descent and Doomsday. Well OK I loved Doomsday because of Rhona Mitra more than anything else B)

I like Neil Marshall as well, so I'll probably check out this film. I haven't seen Dog Soldiers, but I've seen The Descent and Doomsday, both of which were great genre films (although I thought The Descent is much better than Doomsday).

#15 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

Looks intersting, loved Descent and Dog Soldiers was great fun. Not seen Doomsday and haven't heard great things.

The Wife wants to see due to it's lead, she's a bit of a Fassbender fan and so am I but not for same reason I am, ever since she saw him in 300.

Fassbender with Dominic West again, they both must like working together having already been in 300 & The Devil's Whore.

#16 frankwalker

frankwalker

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Have seen two of the directors movies. Descent I could not get half way through. Doomsday I was able to finish but I wouldn't recommend anyone go rent it even on "cheap DVD" days (88 cents here today btw).

That picture with the furs & blue paint - ummmm I dunno man. Whose bright idea was that!!???
Posted Image

I wonder if the director or others found Olga's eastern Europe accent too much for a Brit/Pict and thus the non-speaking role.

I think Olga should drop the Milla Jovovich action-hero aspirations and just get into a movie that capitalizes on her obvious babe-type qualities.

Edited by frankwalker, 17 March 2009 - 07:51 PM.

#17 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

I think Olga should drop the Milla Jovovich action-hero aspirations and just get into a movie that capitalizes on her obvious babe-type qualities.

I'd really rather it was Olga than Milla. I have never been a big Jovovich fan except for The Fifth Element.