13 replies to this topic

#1 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 07:49 PM

Yesterday I watched OHMSS again and I noticed a real embarrassing moment. Right at the end of the first ski chase, you can clearly see the safety cable they tied around Lazenby's foot, so that he couldn't slide over the edge of the mountain (what a shame he didn't :) )

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 07:52 PM

That wasn't Lazenby, that was the stunt man. And even though he was a proffesional, these sorts of precautions have to be taken and they frequently show up on film unfortunately.

#3 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 08:58 PM

No, the most embarassing moments in OHMSS are either when he suddenly adopts an English accent as Hilary Bray (actually dubbed by another actor) or when he decides to wear a kilt. Bond should never appear in a skirt, he should just bed one.

#4 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 06:19 AM

I love OHMSS, but I'll admit that its two most embarassing sequences are the montage bit, which looks like a commercial for a feminine hygiene spray; and the scene of Ruby's brainwashing. "You love chickens. . .the sound of their voice. . .their feathers. . ." Oh my Gawd. . .

#5 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 06:49 AM

OHMSS is my favorite, the only embarrassing thing is that they deleted the roof top chase scene.

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Hardyboy
...the scene of Ruby's brainwashing.  "You love chickens. . .the sound of their voice. . .their feathers. . ."  Oh my Gawd. . .

Just as well it was only chickens.

God knows what the girl suffering the banana allergy heard:

"You love their long, juicy flesh...mmm...sink your teeth in...unpeel and let their sweetness overwhelm you...sounds like a mouthful...mmm"

Or for that matter, the girl with the allergy to sausages

"Mmm...glistening pork torpedos...dripping in oil...suck the meat, suck it...are you replete with meat?...you love them, you do...."

Ahem.

#7 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 07:59 AM

Thinking about it, the only thing that really makes me cringe is the little racist element where the black girl eats a banana. Or is it me being too sensitive?

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Rolex
Thinking about it, the only thing that really makes me cringe is the little racist element where the black girl eats a banana. Or is it me being too sensitive?

Not really - the plot is that these dolly birds use the chemicals produced on top of this alp to infect the food at source (come to think of it, that's a completely barking plot. Realism? Pah!).

Therefore, chances are that bananas will be grown in hotter climes. Speaking as an international beigeist myself, never been offended by that.

#9 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 08:13 AM

Yeah , i know the intention was to show crops that would be lost by Blofeld virus strains . However i remember when i first saw OHMSS back in the early 70's this scene got a laugh and for the wrong reasons.

#10 jetsetwilly

jetsetwilly

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Rolex
Yeah , i know the intention was to show crops that would be lost by Blofeld virus strains . However i remember when i first saw OHMSS back in the early 70's this scene got a laugh and for the wrong reasons.

She does seem to enjoy swallowing it. I suspect that Sid James was the cinematographer that day.

#11 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 11:34 AM

Maybe my embarrassment has something to do with what you have described :)

#12 flares

flares

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 01:19 PM

What was Les Dennis doing playing bond's unfortunate accomplice anyway?

#13 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 04:11 PM

Most embarrassing moment? Hey, guys, we've found Sean's replacement! Really? Who did you find? I thought Roger Moore said he was busy...please don't get Dalton, please don't get Dalton...well, we got this guy who used to sell cars...(slaps his forehead)

For the record, Lazenby did quite well considering he hadn't acted before. I thought he was one of the best. A little too young, though.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 06:00 PM

The black girl eating the banana is definitely racist. Well, maybe not intentionally so, but it's certainly embarrassing.

As is the dwarf janitor whistling the GOLDFINGER theme. Ho ho, how amusing.

There's also the little matter of Lazenby, at the end of a brilliantly conceived and shot pre-title sequence, stopping and addressing the camera directly with his "This never happened to the other fella" line.

There's so much wrong with OHMSS it's almost miraculous that it's still one of the finest Bond movies ever.