5 replies to this topic

#1 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 05:50 PM

I think that after Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan, who run neck and neck as the best Bond, it's definitely George Lazenby who really nailed the part. You really believed that he was James Bond. When he punched someone, you believed he was the guy doing it. When he bedded all those girls at Piz Gloria, you believed he could do it. Who wouldn't have fallen in love with Diana Rigg, one of the best Bond girls ever? He was the right person to come in and try Bond. He didn't go for the Captain Kirk judo chop or flying dropkick that Roger Moore did, and well, I won't even go on about Dalton...Lazenby was a damned good Bond.

#2 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 07:09 PM

hmm....its hard to judge an actor on just 1 performance.

OHMSS, in retrospect, is one of the greatest bond epics...up there with the likes of RUSSIA, GOLDFINGER, THUNDERBALL, SPY, GOLDENEYE(inspite of the horrible score) and perhaps DAYLIGHTS and TND (naturally,my own opinion).

But i think that Fleming's Book, Diana Rigg's presence & performance, the fantastic score (probably one of the top 3 scores in the canon), Hunt's direction (helped by his editing background on all the previous bonds), and the beautiful photography, IN COMBINATION made G.L.
look better.

If OHMSS had had a "goldeneye" score, or a tanya roberts/denise richards/jill st. john-type actress playing Tracy, or a weaker Director, i doubt that OHMSS would, in retrospect, be regarded as a gem. And, as a result, good old George wouldnt be held in such high esteem.

Imagine if he'd gone on to do DAF, LALD and TMWTGG, where the story and cinematography wasnt the calibre of OHMSS, what would we be saying then?

In my view the two best ACTORS were Connery and Dalton. Pierce IS James Bond and has been the best ALL-AROUND EMBODIMENT of a James Bond, and good old Rog was the most successful in terms of tenure (inspite of some really substandard productions like LALD, TMWTGG and AVTAK) which really weren't Roger's faults.

#3 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 09:30 PM

Lazenby was good, especially considering that was his first movie, but he's my least favorite Bond.

For the record:
Dalton
Connery
Brosnan
Moore
Lazenby
Though third place often fluctuates between Moore or Brosnan for me.

#4 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 09:42 PM

RossMan............you read my mind! My list is EXACTLY the same as yours(check it on my "profile")

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 06:07 PM

I totally agree. Even Peter Hunt has on record as saying that he thought GL was the best James Bond.

Here's the quote:
'Who is the best James Bond?
Its not Connery, or Roger, or any of the others. It's George Lazenby - and he is James Bond.'

#6 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 25 March 2002 - 06:07 PM

I totally agree. Even Peter Hunt is on record as saying that he thought GL was the best James Bond.

Here's the quote:
'Who is the best James Bond?
Its not Connery, or Roger, or any of the others. It's George Lazenby - and he is James Bond.'