1078 replies to this topic

#961 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

My full review of the promo can, for better or for worse, be read here: http://www.blacksyte...ost/46896908682

Enjoy. or not. :)

Well rounded review. Solid. Not sure if I'm buying Rayner though but your comparison to the current 5-0 is dead on.

#962 saint mark

saint mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Now I want to see the whole movie..................... :rolleyes:

#963 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Looks a little generic so far, I hope there's something to really distinguish it.

#964 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Slightly disappointing that the Saintly Volvo is just Simon's mum's car in a flashback! :)

#965 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

My full review of the promo can, for better or for worse, be read here: http://www.blacksyte...ost/46896908682

Enjoy. or not. :)

Fine review there, JackUnion.

#966 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

Watched it again... he doesn't come across as the most charismatic man in the world, does he?

#967 St Louis

St Louis

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Watched it again... he doesn't come across as the most charismatic man in the world, does he?

Agreed; although we can't judge him too accurately from the trailer. Any actor playing the Saint should have charisma in buckets... 

#968 St Louis

St Louis

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Looks a little generic so far, I hope there's something to really distinguish it.

Perhaps. It's hard to say. For example, the music in the trailer was quite trashy; I'll be interested to hear what is used in the pilot. 

Overall, I thought it looked quite a promising, professional, production. Elizabeth Dushku plays Holm as an American, but seems foxy enough. Not keen on the Saint's family stuff alluded to in the trailer, although it was good to see Ogilvy and Moore exchanging their somewhat cheesy dialogue. Nevertheless, I'm trying to keep an open mind...     

Edited by St Louis, 03 April 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#969 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

For me the music will be a BIG part of it's success. The new 5-0 falls completely flat on it's face in this regard. I hope the new scores follow the E. Ashley tradition. (The techno theme of the trailer ain't it).

#970 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

For me the music will be a BIG part of it's success. The new 5-0 falls completely flat on it's face in this regard. 

Really? I thought the version of the theme in it is terrific. 

The Orbital cover in this trailer is nasty in the extreme, but it's only trailer music (hopefully!). Quite how you can cover a dance track from the 90's and make it sound more out of date is beyond me :)

#971 delfloria

delfloria

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

For me the music will be a BIG part of it's success. The new 5-0 falls completely flat on it's face in this regard. 

Really? I thought the version of the theme in it is terrific. 

The Orbital cover in this trailer is nasty in the extreme, but it's only trailer music (hopefully!). Quite how you can cover a dance track from the 90's and make it sound more out of date is beyond me :)

Agree about the ORBITAL spinoff and that the new 5-0 theme is fine. I'm talking about the general score throughout the show. When 5-0 did their remake episode earlier this season the music was nowhere close to the classic Morton Steven's compositions used in the original series episode.

#972 JackUnion

JackUnion

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

I made comment about this in the review and I agree that the music was such a miss-cue. No pun intended. The Orbital theme was great for 1997, but its 2013. Music has evolved greatly since then, especially in the scoring department. I suggested a collaboration with The Hidden Orchestra or the Cinematic Orchestra. 

See more at my site: http://www.blacksyte.com

M.

#973 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Looks superb - best of luck for the next steps.

(a propos of nothing, they just can't leave back stories alone, can they?)

Markymurph - incredible spot ref the Volvo!  Fair to say that one passed me by.

#974 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Markymurph - incredible spot ref the Volvo!  Fair to say that one passed me by.

To be honest there's also an article about the same Volvo in Octane magazine this month: a few shots of them filming it with a lady shooting a pistol from the drivers' door, and it's wearing foreign plates (no ST 1!) which rather tipped me off! Oddly they failed to get a shot of Rayner with it, although there is a snap of him driving it (not from filming, by the looks of it). Still, you never know, maybe Templar will be reunited with it at some point.

i must agree that all the backstory stuff is a little wearisome and stock TV pilot-ish, and oddly reminiscent of Hawaii 5-0 now that delfloria brings it up. My hopes aren't incredibly high for it.

#975 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

Very excited about the new Saint film! Loved the promo!!

Do we have any information on where and when it will air? 

I hope a new series is on the way too! 

#976 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Very excited about the new Saint film! Loved the promo!!

Do we have any information on where and when it will air? 

I hope a new series is on the way too! 

The pilot is being shopped around. To my knowledge, there has not yet been a deal struck with a network.

#977 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

From today's Broadcast website:

Parade’s End producer Michele Buck has come on board the US remake of The Saint as its producers look to secure a UK broadcast partner.

The pilot has been produced by the television division of MPCA, the production company set up by Dumb and Dumber producer Brad Krevoy, with Mammoth Screen managing director Buck joining as an executive producer.

“Michele’s expertise in the UK television market is unrivalled, as is her solid track record of quality productions,” said Krevoy.  “We know her creative expertise will design The Saint to attract a commission from a UK broadcaster.” 

Spy thriller The Saint was created by Leslie Charteris and aired on ITV between 1962 and 1969. The ITC-produced series starred Roger Moore as Simon Templar, a suave and sophisticated secret agent and thief who solves mysteries.

The remake stars Hunted’s Adam Rayner as Simon Templar and Buffy The Vampire Slayer’s Dushku as his on-off romantic partner Patricia Holm. Moore, a coproducer of the remake, also made a cameo appearance in the pilot.

British director Simon West, who has directed the pilot of Fox’s comic book adaptation Human Target and The Expendables 2, directed the pilot, which was written by Heroes and Hannibal writer Jesse Alexander.

Ian Dickerson, an expert on Charteris’ work, is a creative consultant on the project, while Francisco González’s, vice president of MPCA’s international sales division was distributing it at MipTV.

MPCA is financing the project and will begin filming the remainder of the season in July in the UK and the US. It is currently in negotiations with a number of US broadcasters.

#978 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Well, I hope it gets picked up.  But I hope the trailer wasn't an overall sign of things to come.

#979 Ian Dickerson

Ian Dickerson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Just in case anyone's interested...

Amazon Publishing Acquires Classic Series from British Masters Leslie Charteris and Gladys Mitchell

Thomas & Mercer imprint will begin publishing in North America in late 2013

SEATTLE —May 1, 2013—Amazon Publishing today announced that it has acquired the North American publication rights to the majority of two classic British series: the Saint by Leslie Charteris and Gladys Mitchell’s Mrs. Bradley. The books will be published in digital and, where rights permit, print formats by the Thomas & Mercer imprint beginning in late 2013. This is the first time many of these titles will be made available digitally in North America.

Leslie Charteris’ books featuring criminal-turned-hero Simon Templar – known as The Saint – became cult classics when originally published between 1928 and 1983. The series has spawned fifteen feature films, including a 1997 version starring Val Kilmer as Templar; a popular 1960s British television series starring Roger Moore; a number of radio series; and a comic strip that was syndicated to newspapers around the world for over a decade. Under the agreement negotiated by Jane Gelfman of Gelfman Schneider Literary Agents, Amazon Publishing has acquired the exclusive rights to publish 49 titles in the Saint series, including Enter the Saint (1930), The Saint in New York (1935), Follow the Saint (1938), and Salvage for the Saint (1983). 

A pilot for a new television series based on the Saint books, co-starring former Saints Moore and Ian Ogilvy as well as Eliza Dushku (Buffy The Vampire Slayer), is currently in production.

Additionally, Amazon Publishing has entered into an agreement to publish 71 titles by Gladys Mitchell, including 65 titles in her classic Mrs. Bradley series. Mitchell’s works span seven decades – and earned her a reputation as an esteemed contemporary of Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers.  Titles to be published by Amazon Publishing include the first book featuring Mrs. Bradley, Speedy Death (1929), as well as The Devil at Saxon Wall (1935); Printer’s Error (1939); Sunset Over Soho (1943); and The Crozier Pharaohs (1984). Since their first publication, the books have sold over 10 million copies worldwide and have been the inspiration behind the BBC television series The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries.

Jane Gregory and Linden Sherriff at Gregory & Company negotiated the agreement, which gives Amazon Publishing license to North American rights for the titles and will result in the publication of the largest collection of Mitchell’s books for sale in North America.

The acquisitions of the Charteris and Mitchell backlists follows Amazon Publishing’s re-launch of titles from Ian Fleming’s James Bond series and Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct and Matthew Hope books, which combined have sold more than 500,000 copies since their publication by Thomas & Mercer beginning in 2012.

"The success of our Thomas & Mercer editions of the iconic series from Ian Fleming and Ed McBain has shown that there’s an eager audience for signature backlist titles,” said Philip Patrick, Director of  Business Development at Amazon Publishing. “As fans of both Leslie Charteris and Gladys Mitchell, we welcome the opportunity to bring these classic books to a new generation of readers.”

Announced in May 2011, Thomas & Mercer—named for streets that flank the Amazon headquarters in Seattle—is the mystery and thriller imprint of Amazon Publishing. Thomas & Mercer books are available to English readers in Kindle, print and audio formats at www.amazon.com, as well as at national and independent booksellers. For more information on Thomas & Mercer and upcoming titles, visit www.amazon.com/thomasandmercer.  For more information about all imprints of Amazon Publishing, visit www.amazon.com/amazonpublishing. Thomas & Mercer is a brand used by Amazon Content Services, LLC.

#980 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

You bet I'm interested!

#981 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:43 AM

Recently, I've noticed that the novels of an "old favourite" author have started re-appearing in my local bookshops - Leslie Charteris' "Saint" books. A very welcome addition to the likes of Waterstones, and I've snapped up one or two titles already.

I started reading "The Saint" not long after I had starting reading Bond - back in the 1970s, when the memory of the 1960s series was still fresh (The fact that the series was still being re-run on ITV helped!), but before the 1970s remake. I think I managed to read all the available Saint novels in my local library. (They had quite a few!)

It goes without saying that the novels, certainly the earlier ones, were different in some respects from the Roger Moore TV series I was used to - the TV Saint rarely had regular sidekicks, let alone a whole gang of allies - but some themes carried over to the TV screen, notably Simon Templar's on-going sparring with Chief Inspector Claude Eustace Teal.

So I'm pleased that the novels are back in print, and I look forward to re-reading them.

#982 jamez007

jamez007

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

i love the saint

#983 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Now that Burn Notice is on its final season, I think the new Saint TV series would be an excellent replacement for that slot!

#984 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hmmm... I wonder if this means the pilot didn't go forward to series?

Adam Rayner Lands The Lead In Howard Gordon’s Pilot ‘Tyrant’

http://www.deadline....yrant/#comments

#985 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Sure sounds like it. Unless there were some way he could schedule shooting both, which seems improbable.

#986 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

If a new Saint serie is not being made, I hope at least they will release a dvd/blu ray of the pilot.

Since a couple of months I'm a huge fan of Eliza Dushku. I think she is teriffic!

She was as Faith the coolest character in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, she was great in Dollhouse and exellent in Tru Calling.

As Patricia Holm I think she will do a superb job.

Edited by Grard Bond, 21 August 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#987 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

Sure sounds like it. Unless there were some way he could schedule shooting both, which seems improbable.

Can't say I'm disappointed.  From the trailer, it looked like generic action trash and in no way looked like the Saint to me.  That, and what I've seen Raynor in he's got the personality of a rock.  Oh well, perhaps they'll find someone eventually who can play the character, though surely it isn't as easy as one would like.

#988 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

The lead actor looks like the weakest link to me

and also the car is too flashy.

But which current actor that age could be perfect for the role of The Saint? I realy can't think of one.

Edited by Grard Bond, 31 August 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#989 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Looked pretty weak, then Ogilvy and Moore show up and i'm sold  

0 ; )

Edited by Odd Jobbies, 31 August 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#990 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

All quiet on The Saint front these days.