116 replies to this topic

#61 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:45 PM

Before I type a word, I hand write what I have thought out several times. When I'm satisfied with what I have come up with, then I type it. Now as I go along and my story fleshes out more I don't rely so much on handwriting out the portions.

Funny, that's exactly how I write (fanfic and else). I cannot really start something digitally, I need the open space of a white sheet to diddle on, shaping the material in a rather graphical way, with layers of editings piling up around the text. But once I have put some flesh on the bare bones of my document, I can write directly in a text editor.

I suppose it makes the two of us specimens of a generation torn in two between the paper age and the digital age... :(

Great minds think alike! You're quite right about being from the generation torn between the paper age and digital age. I started writing stories by hand in notebooks. Then I had an electric typewriter for years, but since typing ribbon cost money I hand wrote everything first then as well so I didn't waste ribbon. Computers were a big mystifying leap for me. And I can type for hours after I have a feel for the story, but when it comes to starting the story, I'll stare at that blank screen for hours without typing a word. Give me a notebook and I'll get that opening paragraph pretty fast. :)

#62 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:36 AM

Thank's guys for the input. Your help is much appreciated!

Of course, in spite of my rather detailed ideas about the later product, I'm in no way immune to alterations throughout the whole process of writing. Usually this means that I cut quite a large amount of material and/or ideas that I first thought would be fitting, but which on second glance didn't turn out so well. Yet I still (for the most part) know in which direction the whole affair is heading and what will be the outcome. But that may just be due to my limited experience. Could happen any (writing)day that a story surprises me in the end.

Ok, so I think it's settled then. I'll just start with the unproblematic parts and try to work my way around the trickier stretch of road. We'll see what happens. And as for the external deadline, well, I'll put some kind of boisterous, pompous announcement on the board that will effectively serve to force me putting my money where my mouth was. I've used that trick before, so in order to be able to shave in front of a mirror I'll just have to get the thing done.

#63 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

Any thoughts on writer's block please. I am suffering badly here. Help! :(

#64 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Jump ahead in the story. Rewrite parts that you’ve already written. Add to parts you’ve already written. Write something else entirely.

#65 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Jump ahead in the story. Rewrite parts that you’ve already written. Add to parts you’ve already written. Write something else entirely.

Thanks Mister Asterix. I'll try that. It's just that everytime I sit down to write I'm feeling a tight knot feeling inside my gut, as if I'm about to start a long route march and I don't feel up to it.

I will try what you mentioned though. Maybe I've got too much on my plate at the moment. Having said that, it's becoming a pain in the butt not being able to write.

#66 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

Write something short. Either in a short time (15 - 60 minutes) or short in form (flash fiction, six word flash).

#67 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

Write something short. Either in a short time (15 - 60 minutes) or short in form (flash fiction, six word flash).

I just tried that on another thread and yes it did feel quite good. Although it wasn't about Bond and something very quick I must say I enjoyed the feeling.

Thanks guys. I'm going to try out what you both recomended.

Maybe I'm just not happy with the direction my fanfic is taking. I'll see.

Again thank you so much for your council.

#68 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

Sorry I can't help much, "Writer's Block" is my other nickname :) :(

I've found that deadlines help, though (at least in my case)

#69 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

I find that it's a product of taking it all too seriously. My advice:

1) Buy a bottle of wine, drink half, start writing.

Alternatively, and in more detail:

1) Get in some food or drink that you like and helps you relax.

2) Try and have fun with what you're working on. Don't think of it as something that'll be read by other people. Abandon whatever detailed structure you've figured out and just have fun. Maybe start writing a spoof of what you've done so far. You don't have to keep it, its all gone with a couple of clicks of the mouse, but at least you'll have started writing again - you might even come up with a really good idea.

#70 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

Here’s another one: Write the really dirty bits. Make sure they’re really dirty. You can edit it back to just dirty later.

#71 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

Write the end.

#72 Greene Planet

Greene Planet

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:47 PM

good luck! :(

#73 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:36 AM

That's the exact same situation I'm in with my story as well. I thought that I had a decent idea of where I wanted to go with it, but just completely hit a point where I don't know where to continue on from in my story.

A lot of suggestions in this thread appear to be very good suggestions, and I may give some of them a try this weekend to see if I can get the story I started over six months ago kick-started and moving again.

#74 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:08 AM

As a way of bumping the thread I thought I’d throw an idea out there.

I’ve been haunted by the idea of a Bond fan fiction novel made up of 13 vignettes. Each section would be told from a separate character’s perspective (yes, yes, I know, Bond stories in the Fleming vein do not often stray from Bond’s perspective, but stay with me here.) Some of the characters would be minor and ancillary, while some would be major players, but each would advance a linked story that follows a traditional Fleming-esque plotline, sweep included.

Now, here’s the twist: Each character dies at the end of their tale. Maybe it’s just some poor sap who watches an action scene take place only to be caught by a stray bullet at the end, or maybe some incidental motorist who witnesses, but is then taken out, in a car chase sequence. Maybe one is Bond’s ally cashing it in, or the bird with a broken wing who eventually breaks something more, or the henchman, or finally, the main baddie in all his twisted glory.

In the end, 13 deaths, which would also be a handy title to the venture.

I don’t think I’ll ever have the chance to write it (Art of Cold War is eating up my writing hours at the moment,) but I thought it would be a fun concept to throw out there and let bounce around the forum for a bit.

#75 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

Oooh, Clink, I'm fascinated. Quite loving this idea. Mainly because I think it calls for some very bleak writing. :(

#76 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:31 PM

Clever.
Would be really good if you could pull it off.
Maybe even too good for a fanfiction, you could try and write a 'real' original story with that. 13 Deaths sounds like a great title for a Quentin Tarantino movie.

#77 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

Perhaps its time for another collection. Each participant could write a death and then we could collect each death into a volume like FYWR. Maybe this time Joyce and Bryce will play. As a side note, do we have to come up with an entirely new story or could we tell a death from a Fleming character's perspective? For example Tracy (this sounds like a story made for Scrambled Eggs) or Kerim or possibly even a villain?

#78 Greene Planet

Greene Planet

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:50 PM

Perhaps its time for another collection. Each participant could write a death and then we could collect each death into a volume like FYWR. Maybe this time Joyce and Bryce will play. As a side note, do we have to come up with an entirely new story or could we tell a death from a Fleming character's perspective? For example Tracy (this sounds like a story made for Scrambled Eggs) or Kerim or possibly even a villain?

Exellent idea, MH. And you mean like using 1st person? Like TSWLM. I like it.

#79 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:02 PM

And you mean like using 1st person? Like TSWLM. I like it.

Well, if each narrator has to die in the end of his yarn, the first person may be a bit Monty-Pythonesque... You know, something like: "I know where Blofeld is, Bond. You'll find him in Castle Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh! [THE END]" :( :) :)

#80 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:08 PM

I don’t think I’ll ever have the chance to write it (Art of Cold War is eating up my writing hours at the moment,)

Whats that then?

As for "13 Deaths", sounds like Bleaksville USA, but another short story collection might be fun - if there was someone willing to oversee it. Perhaps someone too busy to contribute anything himself but able to read through things and making sure they fit with his own bleak vision.

#81 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

SE, sounds like you're volunteering Clinkeroo to edit a collection of "Bleak Bond".
MkB, you may have a point, but perhaps the stories could be told in semi-first person or whatever it's called where the narrator is outside the character but still provides us access to the character's thoughts. Another approach might be if it's the story of a character we know is going to die, e.g. Tracy or Kerim, letting us in their thoughts up until that moment. Of course, perhaps this is a device that might work better as one or two stories rather than 13. Of course, if Clinkeroo's the head honcho and in charge then I guess it's his call.

#82 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

As a way of bumping the thread I thought I’d throw an idea out there.

I’ve been haunted by the idea of a Bond fan fiction novel made up of 13 vignettes. Each section would be told from a separate character’s perspective (yes, yes, I know, Bond stories in the Fleming vein do not often stray from Bond’s perspective, but stay with me here.) Some of the characters would be minor and ancillary, while some would be major players, but each would advance a linked story that follows a traditional Fleming-esque plotline, sweep included.

Now, here’s the twist: Each character dies at the end of their tale. Maybe it’s just some poor sap who watches an action scene take place only to be caught by a stray bullet at the end, or maybe some incidental motorist who witnesses, but is then taken out, in a car chase sequence. Maybe one is Bond’s ally cashing it in, or the bird with a broken wing who eventually breaks something more, or the henchman, or finally, the main baddie in all his twisted glory.

In the end, 13 deaths, which would also be a handy title to the venture.

I don’t think I’ll ever have the chance to write it (Art of Cold War is eating up my writing hours at the moment,) but I thought it would be a fun concept to throw out there and let bounce around the forum for a bit.

Very novel. Very interesting. Very ambitious.

So...whether told in the first or third person, and Bond does not necessarily have to appear in any given section, something like:-

1. The victim that sets the plot in motion.
2. Someone who dies at Bond's hands in some way, possibly unconnected to the plot. Just to remind us it's James Bond.
3. A second victim of some description - potentially someone who has helped the villain set the plot in motion and has now outlived usefulness.
4. An innocent bystander in the wrong place at the wrong time.
5. A girl.
6. An ally.
7. A minor villain that Bond kills. Possibly the person Bond was (say) chasing or being chased by in 4.
8. A minor villain killed by the main villain to encourage the others. Perhaps a particularly slow and unpleasant death.
9. Another ally.
10. As the villain's grand scheme starts to play out, an innocent victim of said grand scheme.
11. Random low-level henchperson who doesn't understand that (s)he is actually a henchperson rather than simply an employee.
12. The principal villain.
13. The principal henchperson. Or, for that matter, James Bond. Or, for that matter, the female lead. Something that makes sense in the context of all that has gone before.

and yet still have evidence of a coherent plot that has a beginning, middle and an end. Hmm; challenging.

Would need someone to have a vision for that plot and set a parameter for each chunk without handcuffing too restrictively the creative freedom. Would also mean all those participating would have to keep the overall plot tip top tippety top secret.

My suggested title would be "The Letter Thirteen" for the thirteenth letter of the alphabet is... M.

#83 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

I like Jim's idea. My suggestion would be that Jim or Clink be the overall coordinator (Clink because the concept was his idea, Jim because the refinement was his idea and he did a phenomenal job on FYWR) coming up with the overall plot. (If Jim or Clink abdicate perhaps some other luminary like Joyce could plot this). Then, we parcel out a chapter to each of 13 different writers-to make it more interesting for us, possibly at random. The author would get to see the previous chapters plus know what the overall grand design is. Might be a lot of fun for the authors involved (we'd have to see if it's also fun to read, but knowing the work you guys do, I'm guessing it would be).

#84 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hmmmm....
Random Thoughts:
*A section that could be in the first person that would result in the narrator's death. Always tricky. Reminds me of the scrawling on the wall of the Cave of Caerbannog in MP and the Holy Grail :( . I have a vision of someone in a café in Morocco, sitting at a street side table, writing a journal entry that ends in the page being covered in blood.

*The word “luminary” always makes me think of those glow stick contraptions that you snap and crush to make radiate. Someone should market those things, only have them shaped like celebrities that people want to bend and crush, and call them Luminaries. We could have the Paris Hilton Luminary, the Gordon Brown Luminary, the Osama Bin Laden Luminary….oh, you get the idea.

*It would almost be like an epistolary novel, and the different styles could just be (sorry, here it comes) written off as the viewpoint/approach of the narrator/protagonist.

*As Jim said, the plotting and chapter directions would have to be loose enough to allow for creative freedom from both the writer, and for the developing character, to do whatever they see fit. The only “must” would be that they have to cash it in at the end of their 4000-7000 words. The editors would have to develop thirteen sets of guidelines (Chapter Cards) that would give each writer a Point A and Point B that their section would traverse, character profiles and descriptions for those characters that would bridge several chapters as well as common plot elements, story arcs, framing devices, and if we’re really crazy, thematic elements that would give it a feeling of “oneness.” This would only be to assure that Scaramanga’s illegitimate brother’s nephew who is hell bent on reopening Dr. No’s guano factory keeps his lazy eye, his hair colour, and his Prince Albert piercing from chapter to chapter. All of these would have to be very broad though, to allow for maximum creativity. In addition to their Chapter Card, each writer would receive an Overview Card that would give an outline of the story direction as a whole without giving the whole shebang away (I know if I were one of the writers, I’d want to still be surprised by other chapter’s plot twists and naturally, the ending.) Writers would have to have the ability to somewhat deviate from plotline if the characters dictate it, but you would have to keep the editors aware so that those changes could be worked into the story as a whole.

#85 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

Sorry, MkB, I just realized we both made reference to the same Python passage. I guess not only do great minds think alike, but twisted ones as well.

#86 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

Sorry, MkB, I just realized we both made reference to the same Python passage. I guess not only do great minds think alike, but twisted ones as well.

I'm deeply honoured to be as twisted as you, then! :(

#87 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

This keeps getting more interesting.

I'm excited.

Which I'm not that often.

:(

#88 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

I'm also excited. Very excited.

But, leaving my excitement to one side for a moment, I'm interested to see how this project develops.

I hope Mr Jim and Mr Clink are exchanging PMs at this moment, asking themselves if they've the time to make this work.

#89 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

Hopefully Jim is sleeping or just stirring, but I'm sure we'll touch base :( .

Some, hell, all of the people taking part in this branch of the thread so far are very capable writers, so I'm a little intrigued myself.

#90 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:33 AM

Hopefully Jim is sleeping or just stirring, but I'm sure we'll touch base :( .

Some, hell, all of the people taking part in this branch of the thread so far are very capable writers, so I'm a little intrigued myself.

Have sent you a very private message.

The plot thickens.