19 replies to this topic

#1 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:10 AM

I'm watching the Special features of On Her Majesty’s Secret Service and I am just wondering, why did Diana Rigg tell Laz that she was eating garlic before the love scene. I mean, honestly, that sounds like something I would say without thinking.

#2 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:11 AM

She said it as a joke because the press was on set that day. I think she said "I'm having garlic George, I hope you are too"

#3 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

she did. That makes sense

#4 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:56 PM

She said it as a joke because the press was on set that day. I think she said "I'm having garlic George, I hope you are too"

And the great British press blew it out of all proportion.

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

Speaking of Diana Rigg, I ♥ her!

Posted Image

#6 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

Diana Rigg is an awesome Bond girl. I would really love to hear her views on On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

#7 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:17 AM

Posted Image
[/quote]

Was Tracy three months pregnant when she was shot? :( :) :)

#8 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

Was Tracy three months pregnant when she was shot? :( :) :)

No, just a nicely figured woman. I can understand the confusion, what with all the zombie like girls the media latches to these days.

Righty007, Rigg is a real beauty, I completely understand where you're coming from even though I'm not a huge fan of that particular photo. No, not because her tummy, I don't like her 'just sucked on a lemon' expression.

Edited by Mr Teddy Bear, 17 January 2009 - 10:51 AM.

#9 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

And the great British press blew it out of all proportion.

Yes they did. I heard a very seemingly sincere George Lazenby state this story as fact at a Bond convention. He went on to say he and Rigg got on well if I remember. I also agree with Mharkin007, and would love to hear Rigg speak about her experiences of OHMSS. I have not seen any interview or read anything where Rigg has made any comment about the film, except some old 1969 footage. I always wondered why she was not on the DVD documentary. She must be regarded as one of the best Bond girls, hope she knows it!

#10 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:04 AM

I think she purposely distanced herself from OHMSS over the years after it's initial release.

#11 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:07 AM

I think she purposely distanced herself from OHMSS over the years after it's initial release.

Yup, it is most definitely intentional. She seems fully focused on theater these days and likes to put The Avengers and Bond behind her. Understandable, but as a fan of both it is disappointing that she doesn't speak in depth about either.

#12 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:15 AM

Yup, it is most definitely intentional. She seems fully focused on theater these days ...

Understandable...

It didn't help that she had to take second billing to a total amateur who couldn't act...and that OHMSS is one of the least successful movies out of the 22, being regarded at that time as somewhat of complete underperformer in relation to the all the ones that preceeded it and numerous ones that followed, DAF, LALD, 'Spy and Moonraker all being big hits.

Perhaps she got totally turned off by all the questions relating to her Bond experience alongside a chocolate bar ad guy from the 'serious' media? :(

#13 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 08:24 AM

It didn't help that she had to take second billing to a total amateur who couldn't act...and that OHMSS is one of the least successful movies out of the 22, being regarded at that time as somewhat of complete underperformer in relation to the all the ones that preceeded it and numerous ones that followed, DAF, LALD, 'Spy and Moonraker all being big hits.

Perhaps she got totally turned off by all the questions relating to her Bond experience alongside a chocolate bar ad guy from the 'serious' media? :(

It's interesting, though, isn't it that in spite of all you say being true that Rigg, versed in art and performance and literature, couldn't see that as a work OHMSS was in a different league quality-wise to anything that followe it, and that regardles of his inexperience, Lazenby was able to convey far more natural emotion than Moore?

#14 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

It's interesting, though, isn't it that in spite of all you say being true that Rigg, versed in art and performance and literature, couldn't see that as a work OHMSS was in a different league quality-wise to anything that followe it, and that regardles of his inexperience, Lazenby was able to convey far more natural emotion than Moore?

And far less than Connery. If Lazenby's first film had been something like YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER or LIVE AND LET DIE, he would have been fine. As it was, Sean Connery was the only man who could really pull off a plot whereby Bond falls in love; if you ask me, Lazenby was totally unconvncing in that twenty-four hours after he's being Bond at his sleaziest in Piz Gloria, he's asking Tracy to marry him despite only showing a passing interest in her previously, if only to humour Marc Ange.

Lazenby got thrown in the deep end, and despite their efforts, Diana Rigg and Telly Savalas couldn't stop him from drowning. Hell, he very nearly took the both of them down with him.

#15 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

I imagine what you say is meaningless and irrelevant to her. OHMSS may be regarded by some Bond fans (not all, mind) as in a slightly 'different league quality wise' to what may have followed, but it's still (save the final two minutes) light fare that's got an amateur lead and remains a movie that wasn't entirely properly edited and thought out as per this take:

As it was, Sean Connery was the only man who could really pull off a plot whereby Bond falls in love; if you ask me, Lazenby was totally unconvncing in that twenty-four hours after he's being Bond at his sleaziest in Piz Gloria, he's asking Tracy to marry him despite only showing a passing interest in her previously, if only to humour Marc Ange.

Lazenby got thrown in the deep end, and despite their efforts, Diana Rigg and Telly Savalas couldn't stop him from drowning. Hell, he very nearly took the both of them down with him.

In my estimation Rigg would have been more amiable to the series had she been partnered with Connery, Dalton or Craig. You know, actors with some semblence of gravitas?

#16 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, I'll never understand why some people are so in love with OHMSS. To me, it's not simply loaded with poor edits and poorer casting choices, but there's plenty of silly moments throughout it that completely remove the tension from the film.
- Like Bond first reading PLAYBOY and then swiping the centrefold in the lawyer's office. He doesn't need gentlemen's literature, he's JAMES BOND!
- Likewise the cable car room Bond is imprisoned in: what's with the bottomless pit in the middle of it? Every time the damn thing breaks down, the maintenance guys have to risk life and limb simply to get their jobs done!
- And when is Bond picking up the Angels of Death. Sure, it wasn't so bad when he seduced Ruby, but when he moved onto girl number two, he used the exact same speech about the girl being "a picture herself", even when she hadn't mentioned wanting to look at the pictures.
- Then, of course, there's Blofeld knowing "Hilly" is actually Bond based on a slip up on the subject of his family's graves. Normally, audiences would accept such a story ... but only if there has been something to indicate Bond is either unaware or has made a mistake beforehand! As it is, the whole "You were wrong, Mister Bond; the graves are actually over here" thing comes out of nowhere ...
- Of course, picking up on that assumes you're willing to overlook Blofeld's best plans so far being all for nothing because he openly invites outsiders into Piz Gloria, thus giving MI6 the perfect opportunity to find him.
- Add to that the terrible dubbing when Bond was undercover (including his very boring and clearly-recited speech about heraldry) and ... the kilt. Sir Sean could have pulled the look off, and not simply because he was a Scotsman. If Sir Sean as James Bond showed up wearing a kilt, it'd be fine. In fact, it would look natural. But with Lazenby, Bond in the kilt looks exactly like what it is: a man in a skirt.

#17 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

I imagine what you say is meaningless and irrelevant to her. OHMSS may be regarded by some Bond fans (not all, mind) as in a slightly 'different league quality wise' to what may have followed, but it's still (save the final two minutes) light fare that's got an amateur lead and remains a movie that wasn't entirely properly edited and thought out as per this take:

As it was, Sean Connery was the only man who could really pull off a plot whereby Bond falls in love; if you ask me, Lazenby was totally unconvncing in that twenty-four hours after he's being Bond at his sleaziest in Piz Gloria, he's asking Tracy to marry him despite only showing a passing interest in her previously, if only to humour Marc Ange.

In my estimation Rigg would have been more amiable to the series had she been partnered with Connery, Dalton or Craig. You know, actors with some semblence of gravitas?

Oh, I'm quite sure Rigg's on the same wavelength as yourself and Tightpants regarding OHMSS.

But then, I suspect she's also a cultural snob who denies her most populist - ie. POPULAR for those who need to it clarifying - work - the Avengers, Bond - while being self indulgent in her stage work. But, of course, not being beyond low-brow TV and cinematic fayre to pay the bills. Mrs Bradley, anyone?

Sadly, it would seem, for these people as they tend to be remembered for these most POPULAR work.

#18 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:06 PM

Oh, I'm quite sure Rigg's on the same wavelength as yourself and Tightpants regarding OHMSS.

But then, I suspect she's also a cultural snob who denies her most populist - ie. POPULAR for those who need to it clarifying - work - the Avengers, Bond - while being self indulgent in her stage work. But, of course, not being beyond low-brow TV and cinematic fayre to pay the bills. Mrs Bradley, anyone?

I imagine the social circle in which she, um, circulates keeps the snobery factor elevated to such a level that OHMSS never dawns on her.

Funny how snobery is the driving force of the villian's plans in the Bond film in which she appears. Perhaps Blofeld's psyche left a lasting impression on her subconscious? :(

The irony.

#19 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

Yes, according to Lazenby in the interview I just listened to (see other thread). I imagine she thought it was amusing and would quench any predictable 'are they an item or aren't they?' stories about she and Lazenby in the next day's papers. But of course it went the other way, which is why we know about it and are discussing it 40 years later.

#20 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

I have my issues with Lazenby, but I find it hard to believe that Connery at that stage in his career could've convincingly played James Bond in the world of OHMSS. Lazenby fails to put his own stamp on the role, he sort of just does what the script tells him, but OHMSS has it's own individuality without the need for a striking, unique individual playing Bond. Connery would've had to work hard just to make it feel like it wasn't a parody coming, off the heels of You Only Live Twice.

Tightpants, I agree with most of your issues, but I still think OHMSS is supurb.

Edited by Mr Teddy Bear, 18 January 2009 - 05:16 PM.