This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Does the title Quantum of Solace have two meanings then?

7 replies to this topic

#1 5 BONDS

5 BONDS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

So how does the meaning of the title now work knowing that Quantum is the name of the villainous organization?

So does Bond get solace from Quantum or is there two meanings to the title...how do you read the title now...the way Fleming wrote it or the way the movie turned out using Quantum as a name and does the title make sense now?

#2 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:48 PM

I see it as Bonds emotional story arc, rather than from the organisation angle.

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

I take the title as being about Bond trying to find his measure of comfort. I didn't see the film being in any way about the Quantum organization itself, they weren't the real focus of the film for me. The real focus of the film was that Bond was trying to track down Yusef, and instead of continuously reminding us about that throughout the course of the film through extremely cliched dialogue, the filmmakers told us what the film was about in the beginning of the film (M and Bond's conversation about Yusef, Bond swiping the picture of him so he'd recognize him when/if he caught up with him later, etc.) and then let Bond actually go about the work of tracking the man down. That was what QoS was about, for me anyway, so I take the title as meaning that Bond was looking for his quantum of solace rather than it having anything to do with the organization.

#4 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

Both Mharkin and tdalton have summed up the way I see it. :(

#5 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

Aside from the aforementioned connection to the villainous organization (which, by itself, would make a nice wink and nod towards Fleming), Craig has explained that it refers to what Bond is searching for post-CR.

Screenwriter Paul Haggis, (who was also asked to direct QOS), didn't approve of the title.
As far back as when it was just wishful fan thinking, I've never been too keen on the title either.
Same deal with "James Bond in New York."
"Risico" will work tho.

One wonders if the producers' back up choice was the same as QOS's opening credits number, "Another Way to Die"?
While not altogether bad, AWTD is particularly generic and cliche coming on the heels of TND and DAD.

#6 Leon

Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:37 AM

I have always thought it was a great title. It actually means something and is a little poetic. The fact it's a fleming title is a bonus really, as they didn't name the movie until the last minute. They used QoS as it works with the plot.

I don't see the point of throwing random titles out saying X would be a good title, Y wouldn't.

You write the story first, then figure out what a good title would be to sum it up. If you are one of the people who keep going on about hating the title QoS let's hear your better suggestions that would fit the film.

#7 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:21 PM

They used QoS as it works with the plot.

Great.
Still sounds laughably pompous to this humble fan.

I don't see the point of throwing random titles out saying X would be a good title, Y wouldn't.

As long as I've belonged to these forums, fans were always debating the pros and cons of prospective Bond titles. QOS was mentioned quite often, tho I never thought it would actually be used. Much like the working title, "Beyond the Ice", which seems to be trotted out every year or so.

You write the story first, then figure out what a good title would be to sum it up. If you are one of the people who keep going on about hating the title QoS let's hear your better suggestions that would fit the film.

Well, the guy who wrote the story, the much revered Paul Haggis, thinks the title stinks.
So there.

#8 Commander Shaun

Commander Shaun

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:18 PM

I see it as both to be honest, from the organization point of view and the emotional point.