22 replies to this topic

#1 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:56 AM

This was fantastic! He has evolved to be what he should have been portrayed as all along. A killer agent who focuses on the mission and the justice of the mission. Highlights for me are:

• To Hell with the legal concept of Due Process! This guy is going to catch the bad guys and kill them instead of operating a catch & release program a la Gitmo.
  • Hooray! For debunking all these global eco-fashionistas. I like the way the film points that out. There is much fraud within the global warming crowd.
  • Great! A film that's not afraid to show an Arab Muslim terrorist.
  • Outstanding! A film that is not afraid to show that sappy-hearted women do actually get duped by men.
  • Macho! A man's film. "Could you help me find the writing stationery?"

This is what Bond is supposed to be...!

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 02:59 AM

Cheers 4A! Glad you enjoyed it.

We'll talk over some ice cold vodka (Chopin still your preferred?) and a few of those Avo XO's next to time we cross paths. Best to Mrs. 4A and the family.

Happy holidays.

#3 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:29 AM

Cheers 4A! Glad you enjoyed it.

We'll talk over some ice cold vodka (Chopin still your preferred?) and a few of those Avo XO's next to time we cross paths. Best to Mrs. 4A and the family.

Happy holidays.

Bryce (003),

Always good to hear from you. Yes indeed I still prefer Chopin as my favorite vodka, and Lady 4A is still with the MacCallan's 18-yr old single malt. Just back from Africa again and finally got to see QoS this weekend. Lady 4A and I both really enjoyed it :(

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

4A

#4 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:32 AM

Great to see you back, my good friend. :)

Did you have any complaints over the action sequences?

Just a thought.

Ciao Mein. :(

Ian

#5 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:39 AM

Great to see you back, my good friend. :)

Just a thought.

Ciao Mein. :(

Ian

Well I thought there was a slight tendency to get Bourne-esque with one of the fight scenes, however, one fight scene I found to be quite superior. I will need to go see the movie again in order to get a better handle on commenting in that regard. Both Lady 4A and I found QoS superior to CR. This is a hardened man on a mission to kill.

You may recall I was critical of the leading lady. She does not look good in still photographs, however in film she is stunning.

Cheers,

4A

#6 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:51 AM

Great to see you back, my good friend. ;)

Just a thought.

Ciao Mein. :)

Ian

Well I thought there was a slight tendency to get Bourne-esque with one of the fight scenes, however, one fight scene I found to be quite superior. I will need to go see the movie again in order to get a better handle on commenting in that regard. Both Lady 4A and I found QoS superior to CR. This is a hardened man on a mission to kill.

You may recall I was critical of the leading lady. She does not look good in still photographs, however in film she is stunning.

Cheers,

4A

Definitely sounds like you enjoyed it, and I'm very glad you did. I will not put words into your mouth until you've had your second viewing. :(

Glad to see you home, unshaken and dry. :)

Cheers,

Ian

#7 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:02 AM

I'm just catching up on the other threads and reviews. Seems like there has been a war here! :(

Cheers,

4A

#8 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:46 PM

I'm just catching up on the other threads and reviews. Seems like there has been a war here! :(

Cheers,

4A

Yes, this seems to be the most polarizing Bond film since "Licence To Kill". But I honestly think QOS will turn out to be widely acclaimed in the years to come, if not now. It's the type of movie that is so different, it takes a number of viewings to really take it all in.

Having watched QOS a second time last week (something I actually don't usually do until the DVD comes out), most of the issues I had after the first viewing weren't as prevelant the second time around outside of the camera techniques. I still believe that some of this shakey camera movement was not necessary, but it is definately easier to watch the second time around. Also, after watching "Mission Impossible III" for the first time over the weekend (I gave up on any MI movie after what they did to Mr. Phelps in the first one!), I now see that there are worse abuses of the "shakey camera syndrome" than what was used in QOS! That still doesn't make it right to be using this technique in a Bond film, but heck, even Peter Hunt utilized this to a certain extent in OHMSS. So it's not the first time, and it probably won't be the last time it will be used in a Bond movie.

That said though, QOS is one heck of a movie, not quite up to CR, but not many films can hit that pinnacle of greatness. Even with the wall to wall action, the fact that QOS is not played for laughs elevates this movie miles above similar action filled but silly spectacles like DAD or AVTAK.

Oh, I also like your analogy regarding the anti-global warming message Four Aces. Here in Chicago, we have had two straight pretty cold and snowy winters (particularly last year), with a very cold start this year. Except for yesterday, December has been relentless, and even last night the temperature dropped from 50 to 5 in less than twelve hours! Sounds like "global warming" is alive and well to me....at least Cancun or Nassau anyway! :)

Edited by A Kristatos, 15 December 2008 - 06:46 PM.

#9 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

This may sound strange but Global Warming is old news because the planet is actually on the cusp of Global Cooling and a shortening of the growing season.

Food, as a result, will be in short supply and i'm looking at ways to be long of food, water and energy.

#10 A Kristatos

A Kristatos

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

This may sound strange but Global Warming is old news because the planet is actually on the cusp of Global Cooling and a shortening of the growing season.

Food, as a result, will be in short supply and i'm looking at ways to be long of food, water and energy.

Yeah, well try telling that to Al Gore! :(

#11 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, well try telling that to Al Gore! :(

Well, I don't want to spoil or soil 4A's thread [I agree with him 100 percent, incidentally] but I hate politicians. They are, generally, opportunists who, generally, have no qualms about lying to (ultimately) line their own pocket books. They, generally, come across as being 'for the people' when it's - in most cases -really a deception.

Bottom line: We're in for a global cooling cycle which will shorten growing seasons and cause more food shortages than the history of the planet has experienced.

I, as a result, hope to get further long of selective food, water and energy plays.

#12 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:18 PM

Glad to see you enjoyed the film, Four Aces! :) I am one of the "QoS lovers" too.

Well, maybe it would be great, but I have to respectfully disagree with this: Vesper's boyfriend is "French Algerian", there's no mention of his being Muslim. And in any case, he's a henchman of Quantum, which is not supposed (to that point) to be linked to a religious current. So QoS isn't 24. :)

• Macho! A man's film.

Really? ;)
No kidding, there is such a nice characterization, and a good exploration of Bond's feelings, that I could easily classify QoS as a "woman's film"! :(

#13 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:19 AM

It snowed for about 6 hours in north west Las Vegas(Summerlin) today(!!!). I had about 4 inches to clear off my car...people I know who've lived here for 20 years told me they'd never seen anything like it. Al Gore = biggest douche in the galaxy™.

:(

#14 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:08 AM

I had about 4 inches to clear off my car...people I know who've lived here for 20 years told me they'd never seen anything like it.

Have alway thought of you as a big boy. :(

Should I get the red coat now? LOL

#15 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:19 AM

I had about 4 inches to clear off my car...people I know who've lived here for 20 years told me they'd never seen anything like it.

Yes. You'll need it now.Brrrrrrr... :)

#16 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:22 AM

Yes. You'll need it now.Brrrrrrr... :)

LMAO. :)

#17 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:23 AM

Have alway thought of you as a big boy. :)

I had about 4 inches of snow to clear off my car. :(

:)

#18 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:02 AM

Have alway thought of you as a big boy. ;)

I had about 4 inches of snow to clear off my car. :(

:)

LMAO. :)

#19 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

It even snowed here in Houston last week!

I seem to recall all the shakiness of late started with Saving Private Ryan and not with the Bourne series. I am hoping that this fad fades.

4A

#20 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

That's it!

Bond 23 is "Ice-breaker"

#21 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

That's it!

Bond 23 is "Ice-breaker"

Damn. I placed a bet on Beyond the Ice.

#22 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

This was fantastic! He has evolved to be what he should have been portrayed as all along. A killer agent who focuses on the mission and the justice of the mission. Highlights for me are:

• To Hell with the legal concept of Due Process! This guy is going to catch the bad guys and kill them instead of operating a catch & release program a la Gitmo.
  • Hooray! For debunking all these global eco-fashionistas. I like the way the film points that out. There is much fraud within the global warming crowd.
  • Outstanding! A film that is not afraid to show that sappy-hearted women do actually get duped by men.
  • Macho! A man's film. "Could you help me find the writing stationery?"

This is what Bond is supposed to be...!

Its also great because it shows that US intelligence is in the wrong hands and attacking everywhere in M.East and S.America as a imperialistic power :(

#23 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

...Its also great because it shows that US intelligence is in the wrong hands and attacking everywhere in M.East and S.America as a imperialistic power :(

Minor trolling :)

However, why even have intelligence? Just attack! This is what true imperialism is all about. Ask the British, the Ottoman's, etc.