By Roger Mulvaney

#3 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

Bloody hell! What the heck am I getting me self into. This is harder than I thought! :( The idea is there, in my mind, but the bloody words are hard to come by! :) Me and my bloody big mouth :D

:)

H A R R Y F A W K E S
Loneliness is a Lover

James Bond swung the Continental Bentley off the A329 from London and made his way down the narrow, twisting country lanes and roads between open farmlands and pinewoods towards Quarterdeck - the small Regency manor-house on the edge of Windsor Forest. He glanced down at the dim green face of the dashboard clock. Six fifty-five. Another ten minutes and he’d be there. Bond slowed down and took pleasure in the drive through what someone had once described as one of the last traces of memorials of what England once was...
He lit one of his Moreland Specials with the distinctive three gold rings and inhaled deeply. He had spent the whole day in his office going through the thick pile of dark red folders bearing the ‘EYES ONLY’ marking, bringing himself up to date with the various goings-on in the world of espionage after two weeks forced-leave following the so-called ‘Trigger’ affair...

;)

#4 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

Excellent! I look forward to the rest and Merry Christmas to you :(

#5 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY DEAR FRIENDS AT CBn

As promised, I have posted on Christmas Eve the one Fan Fic story I really loved writing

My present to you all, with many thanks

Enjoy

Roger Mulvaney

:(

And now for a couple of hard earned glasses of bubbly

Brycee, hope you enjoy, cause I know fer sure I'm going to love yours! Hell, I can't wait!

#6 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:48 AM

Why, Harry, such an honour... :( Thank you! :)

Bubbly well deserved! ;)

Oh, and (I almost forgot): Merry Christmas! :)

#7 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

Well I did have an hour to kill. Not any more.

Merry Christmas everybody

#8 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

Very well written. I actually read it on Christmas Day (delaying the present openings). I'm looking forward to reading the next installment. I was intrigued by the idea that The Living Daylights took place after TMWGG. In my personal chronology I had assumed it took place after The Spy Who Loved Me and Before On Her Majesty's Secret Service. I think the author of James Bond A Chronology places TLD after the beginning of OHMSS in August and before he goes to Piz Gloria, which I don't think I buy. Anyway, I don't mean to be the continuity police and I don't think there's a right answer to this (except perhaps that we all think to much about these "weighty" issues. The more important consideration is that you wrote a very Fleming like story with a Christmas element that hit the right note and makes the reader want to continue. Good job!

#9 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:08 AM

I loved it and it was truly a fabulous Christmas gift! Thank you!!!

#10 Gene Laurenciano

Gene Laurenciano

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

Short but drives the bullet home -- like the trusty Walther PPK.

#11 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:28 PM

What a good Christmas present, Harry. It's always fascinating to read explorations of the Bond universe, especially one as good as yours. You seemed to hit your stride with this one; it's quite a complicated tale with lots of references to the past, yet it all came together very nicely. I particularly like how you gave Bond a chance to experience new emotions and revisit old ones. Time for an emoticon:

:(

Thank you for the fun.

#12 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

Thanks everyone.

It meant a lot to have some feedback about the story.

I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

I wish you all the best for the new year ahead.

One thing's for certain, 2009 will see me reading more, rather than writing because I'd like to catch up on your work.

Again thank you very much my friends :(

Harry

#13 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:58 PM

Here I am late to the party again!

Just finished up Loneliness Is A Lover.

Another great job! :( This one had the wonderful 60's Fleming Bond feel completely. As with the modern Bond adventures you sure know how to tackle the 60's world too! I envy your versatility.

Again what more can I say, you're one of my favourite reads!

For 2009, I'm going to get back into reading more and trying to finish DA. :)

#14 Greene Planet

Greene Planet

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

Exellent writing Harry! I really enjoyed this piece, You're honestly a far better writing as Fleming thanks Faulks! Good work.

#15 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:55 AM

I enjoyed this little ditty, Harry.

It reads really well and I thought you got right under the skin of James Bond of the late sixties. I want to make that distinction, because, for all the references you make in your contemporary novels, your modern 007 is exactly that: modern.

I fully understand the fun of Fan Fiction, but I often have to stretch my imagination a little when I read “continuation” passages in novels. (Indeed I struggle with the same problem when I read the official continuation novels of Gardner and Benson.) One of your previous reviewers mentioned that horrible word “timeline” and IMO I never considered TLD to be an adventure that sits after TMWTGG, but the way you utilised the Trigger Affair in this story makes you 100% forgiven. However generally in your work you disguise the continuation sequences very well; but here it was a little more obvious and sits uneasily with the rest of your cannon.

That gripe aside I had a lovely time reading and reflecting on Ian Fleming’s writing style, which I thought you captured brilliantly. There was a real echo of the later novels. In fact you dutifully “lifted” sections from OHMSS, YOLT, QOS, TLD and TB – not sure about the latter, it’s the paragraph you wrote about the telephones, might be in FRWL, I’m not sure. Normally I would de-cry this sort of thing, but it actually suited the story really well, lending an authentic Fleming slant to your prose. You touched on a similar vein in TMBYD, so I know this quality is well within your capabilities.

I also liked the way you drew the reader into the story in a traditional manner; Bond reflects on his life (a la GF, TB, FAVTAK, YOLT, OHMSS) and there is one simple interview with M, not your usual 3 or 4 scenes in the Ops Room interspersed over the course of the novel. The revelation from Tanaka was also presented well. I was disappointed the story ends where it does. What happens to the heroin?

Two minor points of order: you wouldn’t win the lottery in the sixties, you’d win the pools; and Kissy Suzuki was at pains to keep Tanaka in the dark about Bond’s survival. She also never knew Bond’s real name and always called him Taro-San, Taro Todoroki (although it might be an approximate translation, I’m not very hot at Japanese!) I guess Tanaka and Henderson must have been very keen to speak with Kissy once they heard Bond was back in action. Poor girl!

Thanks for a very fine short story, Harry.

#16 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

Found this thanks to the above review putting it to the top of the forum and enjoyed it very much. Would very much like to see you tackling a full-length novel writing 'as Ian Fleming', Harry.

#17 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

Found this thanks to the above review putting it to the top of the forum and enjoyed it very much. Would very much like to see you tackling a full-length novel writing 'as Ian Fleming', Harry.

I'd second that!

#18 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

This very much felt like the opening to a Lost Fleming - was quite disappointed when it ended as was looking forward to a lovely little adventure in Japan and wherever else the romp took us.